Studer UltraMaster

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
My latest DSD project.
As most of you know, I did the transfer/mastering for the Wilson Audiophile Downloads. It was an exciting project with lots of great music. Found out that Dave was holding back.

Dave also recorded some artists on a ½” Studer ML5 “UltraMaster” machine. This elusive creature was pulled from storage and gone over with a fine tooth comb. This is the only machine I’ve heard that could rival my own Studer/Doshi setup. Since they didn’t want to part with the machine or tapes, I had to go to the mountain. Dave and Daryl arranged my visit to Wilson for a 2 day recording session. They wanted to use the same exact setup that I had used for the Wilson Audiophile downloads. I packed and shipped the equipment and headed to Provo, Utah.

Daryl met me at the Wilson factory and gave me the VIP tour. I saw the inner workings of how this well-oiled machine operates. From the birth of an idea, to the finished product out the door to the customer, Wilson Audio shows there is no detail too small to overlook. Obviously Wilson speaker owners already know this!

After the tour, Daryl and I headed to Dave’s house where we met up with him, his lovely wife Sheryl and baby Sophie. Dave and I sat down and discussed the goals of the project and once we got a game plan, I started setting up the equipment. We did some calibration and measurements and started to map out our titles.

The equipment we used was the ½” Studer ML5 “UltraMaster”, Basis Inspiration? w/ Lyra Olympos cart. Phono and Pre was by Audio Research. Day 1 we used the big VTL amps and the next day we used the D’Agostino Momentum amps. Speakers were the mighty XLF’s with TWO Thor’s Hammer subs! All cabling was by Transparent. Workstations were Sonoma and Pyramix and converters were from Playback Designs, Merging, EMM Labs and Mytek, all recording DSD.

I can’t believe how smoothly everything was planned and orchestrated. I want to thank Dave and Sheryl for opening up their home and being so accommodating. I especially want to thank Ki Choi for his knowledge and setting me up with the equipment for a successful journey. This was a big project with I hope, even bigger results. Stay tuned!!

Last edited:

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Dave sold his other deck modded by John Curl though to Chad IIRC?

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
OK maybe it is. I assume that since it was a ML, that there was a second deck. If not, that is a one of a kind machine.

jdza

May 3, 2010
I am a little confused.I always understood that the Mark Levinson ML5,like the later Cello tape amp, was designed by Tom Colangelo. The ML5 dates from 1981 which is after Curl's relationship with ML ended.The Mobile Fidelity Supermaster and Wilson Ultramaster was Studer A80RCs with audio electronics by John Curl.That old tape curmudgeon,Gordon Holt, considered these two plus Keith Johnson's machine to be the finest recorders ever built.

Curl was in a unique position amongst high end audio designers in that he actually worked at Ampex during the fruitful 1968 onwards period when ,amongst others ,the magnificent MM1000 saw the light of day.How wonderful it would be if he could be persuaded to re-enter the tape repro market! -3db at 45kHz on analogue tape. Ultramaster indeed!

Last edited:

Asamel

Jan 22, 2012
Philly
These posts are a joy to read for those of us on the luntic fringe - ie tape lovers. ( I was called this by a producer)

Bruce

Lildebs888

May 12, 2011
Grantsville, Utah
www.facebook.com
These posts are a joy to read for those of us on the luntic fringe - ie tape lovers. ( I was called this by a producer)

Bruce

After a long listening session today with my dad and the ultra master, I can understand your love for tape! I grew up around that Studer. I am so happy he broke it out of storage for us to enjoy again :)

image.jpg

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing