Robert Harley makes efficient use of his time.

sbo6

VIP/Donor
May 18, 2014
Round Rock, TX
First world problems on steroids - When prospective customers complain that a few days isn't enough time to review 6 figure audio gear.

Reactions: Another Johnson

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
As far as doing the review at the dealers he suggested that the amp was too heavy to install in his room and limited in availability. However, the amp weighs quite a bit less than the speakers that made it into his listening room and as far as not being available, if the manufacturer doesn’t have an item available for review, it’s not available for review. It’s not up to TAS to work around that. Mr. Harley made no attempt to explain how he was about to sort out what characteristics of the sound were caused by the items under review and which were from the unfamiliar ancillary equipment.
Thank you.

sujay

Member Sponsor
May 5, 2012
Singapore
From what I know, speaking to Dieter himself ( this was a while back when he was alive) and to a few others in the company who I have known personally for a while, Burmester doesn’t give out equipment on long term loans. I obviously don’t know for sure if this is true but I do know that they are very a fussy company and like to generally keep a low profile, relatively speaking, up until recently. I see a lot more reviews these days of Burmester equipment. They seem to have shifted gears a bit in this regard.

On the question of whether a review can be done in a day through a store visit, I agree it’s ridiculous. At best, one can form an impression.

cheers

Reactions: Daverich4

Another Johnson

VIP/Donor
Jan 13, 2022
Music City, USA aka Nashville
On the question of whether a review can be done in a day through a store visit, I agree it’s ridiculous. At best, one can form an impression.
Have you read the reviews of the amp and the speakers? I was surprised at how well he’d captured the character of these pieces.

Obviously they were done in the course of a focused, intense two day store visit. In my view, the impression must have been mighty powerful.

I have often been able to dismiss products in less than an hour. And I’ve often found a few hours to be more than enough to sort out the strengths of great products over the course of two days.

RH is not a newbie. He went with a purpose and a plan. We all have our playlists to reveal specific strengths or flaws. RH showed here that he is a worthy pro.

• Wow
Reactions: Daverich4 and dbeau

sujay

Member Sponsor
May 5, 2012
Singapore
Have you read the reviews of the amp and the speakers? I was surprised at how well he’d captured the character of these pieces.

Obviously they were done in the course of a focused, intense two day store visit. In my view, the impression must have been mighty powerful.

I have often been able to dismiss products in less than an hour. And I’ve often found a few hours to be more than enough to sort out the strengths of great products over the course of two days.

RH is not a newbie. He went with a purpose and a plan. We all have our playlists to reveal specific strengths or flaws. RH showed here that he is a worthy pro.
Yes I have read the reviews. I have also listened to them, though in show conditions. I love their electronics which is evident from the fact that I have been using them now for 15 years. I still feel one needs to live with the electronics/components for sometime ( or listen to them in different settings) to be able to opine conclusively. I agree though one can get an overall impression of their strengths and weaknesses in an intensive 2-days session.

Reactions: Another Johnson

Salectric

Jan 15, 2012
I agree with @sujay. RH did about as thorough a report as one can do given just two days of listening time. And for all I know he may have done a good job describing the sound. I can’t say one way or another since I haven’t heard them.

Nevertheless, two days of listening to an unfamiliar system in an unfamiliar room is not enough time for a comprehensive review of any product, much less two products!

Reactions: Daverich4

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing