State of the industry - Roy Gregory Editorial

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
I thought it wasn't mobile so confirmed. That makes a big difference.
Of course... as I said in previous posts... However, if you want to give a true indication of potential you have to do it this way and not with a mobile phone. However, it is a live recording of the sound in the room at that time...not a fake overlay that isn't the system playing at all.

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Um...no, not that realistic.

Here is what playback of organ is supposed to sound like...I may be biased but IMO I have not heard a better playback of organ than this recording on Youtube.

Aries Cerat CES 2016 - YouTube

and yes its a horn...listen to the whole video as the rest or the non-organ music is just as spectacular.
Sounds good on YT.
what is the dimension of the bassdriver /sub?

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
The AC system sounds great.

wil

Jul 22, 2015
Honestly both suck for different reasons. The Eggleston system is a bit better tonally balanced but all power for this song is missing . Voice is pinched Guitars recessed and muted. The horn system is WAY out of tonal balance...all Punch is overshadowed because of the disturbing coloration and lack of transparency.
To put it in non-audiophile language -- the horn system sounds like an awful mess.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
For me, the jury is still out on how useful I find these videos in an absolute sense, but they're certainly entertaining.

Of yes, they are.

I'm not immune to the charms of pointing at high-dollar systems and deciding they sound like s**te.

Yeah, its' fun!

(How real the video sound is, is debatable, and may vary from case to case.)

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
The AC system sounds great.

Totally. I have only sampled snippets, but from that limited impression I would say:
Best sound I've heard from a system video, by far. (Certainly with so many different selections.)

But I'm assuming this is a professional recording as well.

Reactions: Argonaut

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Totally. I have only sampled snippets, but from that limited impression I would say:
Best sound I've heard from a system video, by far. (Certainly with so many different selections.)

It's not a mobile recording, it is a higher quality mic

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
It's not a mobile recording, it is a higher quality mic

That's what I thought. But it's a horn!!

So, yes, horns can sound really great, apparently (of course, in person it should sound much better still.)

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Fair enough, I agree different people ingest information in different ways. I find people talking about audio take way too long to get to their point. Written reviews can have the same flaw but scanning let's me skip through the less than useful portions.

Webzines don't have the page structure of print media.
yes. I subscribe to notion get to the point in the first few lines. Then wax on to your hearts content.

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland

So, yes, horns can sound really great, apparently (of course, in person it should sound much better still.)
No the only conclusion we can draw from all those vids is that horns can sound good on YT according to many people.
Unfortunately people dont buy You tube systems.
......Next

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

Maybe we can have a mobile recording of that to compare. Should be easy for the AC team to arrange.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
No the only conclusion we can draw from all those vids is that horns can sound good on YT according to many people.
Unfortunately people dont buy You tube systems.
......Next

very fascinating comment on a thread about the current state of the industry. Could you define what you mean by a YT system?

most of the audio systems that we see in system videos on YouTube are actually owned by somebody, so I don’t quite understand what you mean. I bought my system a year ago and have shared it over YouTube videos.

it is true that you don’t see many conventional contemporary systems on these videos that belong to members of WBF for instance, and I guess the question is why is that? For some reason owners of vintage horn systems seem more willing to post videos of their systems and deal with the risk that is associated with that.

where are system videos of the phenomenal entry level Magico A5 speaker for instance? I suspect that the brands that figure this out are going to expand exposure to their products, and the dealers and brands who do not post such videos will receive a different response by not having the same exposure. We will see.

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Sounds good on YT.
what is the dimension of the bassdriver /sub?
No subwoofer. It is a modified Fostex Sigma 8 inch driver in an over 3 meter long folded backloaded horn

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
To put it in non-audiophile language -- the horn system sounds like an awful mess.
ummm...you could say something like that...o_O

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
@ peter
Most systems are private systems .
And may be people like to keep it private .
There is a distinct difference by hearing something physical or on YT.
I have the impression some horn lovers want to spread the word.
Allmost a bit like JH witnesses

Last edited:
Reactions: tima and Lagonda

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland

It is still a portable recording setup but I don't know the details...definitely a cut or two above a mobile phone though. Listen to the whole thing...also the AV Showrooms video (different mobile recording setup...high end Sony video camera I think.) of Anne Bisson September in Montreal...best version of that song I have heard on video as well.

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
No subwoofer. It is a modified Fostex Sigma 8 inch driver in an over 3 meter long folded backloaded horn
Thats what i thought i think its the fullrange driver right.
I ve seen the specs of that driver and the FS and roll off .
Put that in a room together with my 11 inch 12 driver model and you ll hear soon enough what YT doesnt capture

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Most systems are private systems .
And may be people like to keep it private .
There is a distinct difference by hearing something physical or on YT.
I have the impression some horn lovers want to spread the word.
Allmost a bit like JH witnesses
If it sounds that good on Youtube is there any reason to believe it wouldn't sound better live? Curious then to why you bother to post yours if it actually sounds worse live. I have posted some of my systems and while I think the vids sound good it is easily better sounding live...any logical reason you can give why it would be otherwise??

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Thats what i thought i think its the fullrange driver right.
I ve seen the specs of that driver and the FS and roll off .
Put that in a room together with my 11 inch 12 driver model and you ll hear soon enough what YT doesnt capture
You totally don't get how horns work... the horn defines the low frequency cutoff, not the Fs of the driver. You realize that a horn is amplifying a certain frequency range, right? That means the 8 inch driver is behaving dynamically like a MUCH larger driver and as it is basically moving less than 1 mm even with big bass transients, it has lower distortion too. BTW, it is only being used as a lower mid and down...the large front horn pod is the midrange...not sure the frequency... This will handily outperform a 12 inch or even 15 inch woofer in the mid and upper bass. It won't go as deep because of the horn length limitations...but punch is intense.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Ok guys, now compare the same track with the Eggs - switched over to the 3k Altec.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing