State of the industry - Roy Gregory Editorial

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
That also makes sense Tim, yet it also means that aiming for such pin point imaging is a treacherous path. The method used to record the 'omnipresent' sound in a room IMO has a major impact on the ability to recreate the recording using 2 speaker. I'm not sure that the individual components in an orchestra are a single broad source, it's more like a broad source consisting of multiple smaller sources, for electronic music or electric instruments all of this is different since the recording is mostly tinkered together to form 'stereo' anyway.
To me the recordings that sound most natural are usually older ones, and I suspect (yet only suspect) that this is an effect of inserting less gear and less microphones than nowadays is often the case. I assume that at some point consumers liked the more close up zoom-in effect of multi microphone recordings and the industry followed. I'd love a chat with some of the famous recording engineers of the 50-ies and 60-ies to hear how they percieved progress.

this article is mostly about the rise of CD, but it gives some insight; https://www.gramophone.co.uk/featur...lager-the-balance-engineer-on-life-at-philips
you have nailed the point. old decca records for example here is a nice link . born of the famous decca tree(microphon arrangement)
photo today abbey road studios where musicians and sound engineers can learn their profession.still the decca tree of course but a lot more microphones.
abbey-road-3.png

MarcelNL

Mar 15, 2021
great article, thanks for sharing! I think what I read in it tracks perfectly with my desire to go mono for older recordings!

Reactions: DasguteOhr

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010

Attachments

• 642BA0DC-757E-4FCF-A3F3-EC81C413CE4E.jpeg
    642BA0DC-757E-4FCF-A3F3-EC81C413CE4E.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 11
  • 0993C049-7931-4098-9F8A-8D80A0648F73.jpeg
    0993C049-7931-4098-9F8A-8D80A0648F73.jpeg
    800.1 KB · Views: 13
  • 38021227-5C6F-41E5-A064-03A91788C4B0.jpeg
    38021227-5C6F-41E5-A064-03A91788C4B0.jpeg
    702.6 KB · Views: 12
  • 8BA7F3EA-DD32-4462-A3FB-58A24CB39C47.jpeg
    8BA7F3EA-DD32-4462-A3FB-58A24CB39C47.jpeg
    1,000.4 KB · Views: 12

MarcelNL

Mar 15, 2021
Enjoy!

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Mike, they're lined up almost like your carts collection.

Reactions: Mike Lavigne

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
great article, thanks for sharing! I think what I read in it tracks perfectly with my desire to go mono for older recordings!
you must not forget that old lps are cut with a 15 degree angle. But modern pickups have an angle of 20-22 degrees. So rather use an old cartridge from the time.
Cutting head angle changed arround 1968? Use a ortofon sl 15mc for that my tip.
there is a japanese site because all cartridges vta/ sra are listed. unfortunately I forgot the name

Last edited:
Reactions: tima

MarcelNL

Mar 15, 2021
you must not forget that old lps are cut with a 15 degree angle. But modern pickups have an angle of 20 degrees. So rather use an old cartridge from the time.
Cutting head angle changed arround 1968? Use a ortofon sl 15mc for that my tip.
there is a japanese site because all cartridges vta/ sra are listed. unfortunately I forgot the name
thanks, I'll have a chat with my vinyl guru! I assumed that from 'microgroove' 33rpm onwards mono was using one cutter, and not until stereo the cutter changed.
(just bought a Miyaima zero for mono, to go with the RCA70A)

richardk

Oct 4, 2022
BruceD
I'm a new member here and have just seen your kind words about the K3 project. Thank you for that.
It was a massive task incorporating all that I have learnt over 40 years of modifying and building TTs where this time I had the luxury of a substantial R&D budget.
Someone else speculated about the provenance of the motor. It is not sourced from Technics. We buy pieces of a motor and assemble then into a working unit, machining the cast iron chassis as the motor housing.
Also, the self-diagnostic tuning program function only gets us into the ballpark. From then on, we used a listening group who met every week sometimes multiple times, to fine tune the program. These tests were blind; the person making the program changes would key away on the laptop and then press enter. He would ask the same question every time. Better, worse, same? This because sometimes he did not make any changes, just pretended to. After the conclusion of listening tests, we would use the controller to measure W&F. In the early stages, every time we concluded that there was an audible improvement there was a companion improvement in W&F. (BTW we always measured W&F while playing the same track of a record. IOW under dynamic loading. Static loading W&F measurements, say using a test tone, aren't in my opinion relevant). This fine-tuning process lasted 18 months!

Reactions: BruceD

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing