State of the industry - Roy Gregory Editorial

Sampajanna

Apr 1, 2021
For what it is worth, i like the first video better on the Metallica as well. Altec one sounds weird and off. Feels like I have a wood box over my head via headphones… But I liked the horns better on the previous test vs the Wilson.

Reactions: Al M. and bonzo75

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
For what it is worth, i like the first video better on the Metallica as well. Altec one sounds weird and off. Feels like I have a wood box over my head via headphones… But I liked the horns better on the previous test vs the Wilson.

Agreed on both counts. Horns better on the previous test, modern system better than horns on this test. Of course, it helps to have the original direct from file as a reference. Just listen to the guitar sound on this one, compared to the Eggelston/Nagra and the Altec. The former comes much closer to the tone, the latter is way off:

Reactions: MadFloyd

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I preferred the bass, power chords and drums on the Altec. Also finding his voice compressed on the Eggs

Last edited:

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Thanks morricab i didnt know that.
Where can u buy one ?

I m planning to buy a second system but just for you tube show off vids .
Lol
I gather you thought your video sounded better...

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
I preferred the bass, power chords and drums on the Altec. Also finding his voice compressed on the Eggs

Yes, the voice sounds more open on the Altec. Curiously though on the Eggs the voice, also relative to the mix, sounds closer to the file reference that I posted, so in that sense it seems more correct.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Yes, the voice sounds more open on the Altec. Curiously though on the Eggs the voice, also relative to the mix, sounds closer to the file reference that I posted, so in that sense it seems more correct.

I find the voice compressed on the Eggs relative to the drums. So I am hearing an imbalance. Also I don't get the freedom, it is too constrained for me.

Diapason

Mar 26, 2014
Dublin, Ireland

Which, in a way, brings us back to the age-old audio question: do you want it to sound better to your ears or more accurate to the source, whatever that might mean? I'm personally convinced that some of subjectively "better" is due to additive effects of the playback chain (and why wouldn't it be, after all? The room for example adds a variety of effects that you don't hear in an anechoic chamber, but one is certainly more pleasing than the other.) I certainly felt (in these selections, not necessarily a general rule) that the second video was adding artefacts the first one wasn't. A hooded sound around the guitars, a slightly bizarre extra echo around the voice, drum beats overloading the microphone and getting compressed. Then again, I often favour a kind of "controlled" sound, so there we are.

I've said before that I have sat in rooms of audiophiles listening to the same systems and even in those groupthink-prone situations we haven't managed to agree on "better". I'm certainly not surprised we can't agree on videos of systems.

For me, the jury is still out on how useful I find these videos in an absolute sense, but they're certainly entertaining. I'm not immune to the charms of pointing at high-dollar systems and deciding they sound like s**te.

Reactions: Al M. and wil

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Agreed on both counts. Horns better on the previous test, modern system better than horns on this test. Of course, it helps to have the original direct from file as a reference. Just listen to the guitar sound on this one, compared to the Eggelston/Nagra and the Altec. The former comes much closer to the tone, the latter is way off:

Honestly both suck for different reasons. The Eggleston system is a bit better tonally balanced but all power for this song is missing . Voice is pinched Guitars recessed and muted. The horn system is WAY out of tonal balance...all Punch is overshadowed because of the disturbing coloration and lack of transparency.

Last edited:
Reactions: wil

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Okay another one then .
Organ cd .
If you play this on a mdf horn ' they probably start walking by themself to the corner due to vibrations.

Um...no, not that realistic.

Here is what playback of organ is supposed to sound like...I may be biased but IMO I have not heard a better playback of organ than this recording on Youtube.

Aries Cerat CES 2016 - YouTube

and yes its a horn...listen to the whole video as the rest or the non-organ music is just as spectacular.

• Love
Reactions: MadFloyd and rando

Diapason

Mar 26, 2014
Dublin, Ireland
Um...no, not that realistic.

Here is what playback of organ is supposed to sound like...I may be biased but IMO I have not heard a better playback of organ than this recording on Youtube.

Aries Cerat CES 2016 - YouTube

and yes its a horn...listen to the whole video as the rest or the non-organ music is just as spectacular.

As my moniker might suggest, I'm an organist in my spare time (Diapason doesn't refer to the hifi manufacturer in this case). That link certainly sounds very good in that it sounds like listening to a recording of an organ, rather than a recording of the playback of a recording of an organ. Is that what we're going for here? Honestly, I'm not sure I'm getting the whole video thing, but I can tell from comments upthread that this is a can of worms I don't want to get in to. I'll bow out while I still can!

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
As my moniker might suggest, I'm an organist in my spare time (Diapason doesn't refer to the hifi manufacturer in this case). That link certainly sounds very good in that it sounds like listening to a recording of an organ, rather than a recording of the playback of a recording of an organ. Is that what we're going for here? Honestly, I'm not sure I'm getting the whole video thing, but I can tell from comments upthread that this is a can of worms I don't want to get in to. I'll bow out while I still can!

Feel free to share observations on your perceptions of the gear based on the video. No need for disclaimers about the video practice. Everything here is a can of worms, if there is no passionate discussion it just means no one gives a damn.

Diapason

Mar 26, 2014
Dublin, Ireland
Well let me put it this way, I'm continuing to listen to that Aries Cerat demo as I work and it sounds *gorgeous*! When I listen to some other videos of systems playing I can easily identify aspects I don't like, but I'm not experiencing anything like that here. To that end, I expect I would really enjoy the sound of the system in real life, because there's nothing obviously off-putting about it (something that you would think shouldn't happen at the high end, but happens alarmingly often in reality).

Reactions: PeterA and morricab

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
It is a recording of the playback...you can see Stavros changing the music in the room periodically. No BS there.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
It is a recording of the playback...you can see Stavros changing the music in the room periodically. No BS there.

Is it via mobile?

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Well let me put it this way, I'm continuing to listen to that Aries Cerat demo as I work and it sounds *gorgeous*! When I listen to some other videos of systems playing I can easily identify aspects I don't like, but I'm not experiencing anything like that here. To that end, I expect I would really enjoy the sound of the system in real life, because there's nothing obviously off-putting about it (something that you would think shouldn't happen at the high end, but happens alarmingly often in reality).

Believe High Fidelity, Aries Cerat audio system, Stillpoints, Symphonia horns, Concero amps, Impera - YouTube

Same system from same show with AV Showrooms. The "September in Montreal" from Anne Bisson is phenomenal on this playback.

Diapason

Mar 26, 2014
Dublin, Ireland

Didn't mean to suggest I was doubting that. I just mean that if a recording of a recording sounds just like a recording, then the playback must be pretty good. If you see what I mean.

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Having heard AC systems a number of times, I can tell you that this is "representative" of the sound quality. Obviously, what you are playing back through will affect the absolute quality.

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Didn't mean to suggest I was doubting that. I just mean that if a recording of a recording sounds just like a recording, then the playback must be pretty good. If you see what I mean.
Yep, and I agree...getting truly close to the recording is not easy...listen to any number of other videos posted and you will hear recordings of recordings being played back are usually far away from the recording played back directly.

Reactions: Diapason

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Reactions: Diapason

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing