SS/Tube Preamps that better than Gryphon's Commander

Seeker.Nirvana

Dec 20, 2023
California
My favorite sonic characters: dynamic, transparent, fast, clarity, soulful, resolution, bass control, 3D soundstage, detail.
My target amp: Gryphon Apex or Mephisto
Budget (preamp): under USD 150K

Any suggestion?

Thanks!

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
No one here has any idea what your system components are, what it sounds like, what you do not like about your current pre, what your personal biases / preferences are, etc. Any recommendation is just a dart throw from a sonic perspective. And it, of course, is all subjective. Obviously, best if you can audition in your system and make an informed decision. You have a massive budget with numerous options. Good luck.

Last edited:
Reactions: Seeker.Nirvana

Richard Austen

Jun 2, 2020
No one here has any idea what your system components are, what it sounds like, what you do not like about your current pre, what your personal biases / preferences are, etc. Any recommendation is just a dart throw from a sonic perspective. And it, of course, is all subjective. Obviously, best if you can audition in your system and make an informed decision. You have a massive budget with numerous options. Good luck.

Yes the reality is that you may audition say 10 preamps and rank them 1-10 in one system and the winner in that system may finish 10th in a different system - and that would be my assessment - yours might be completely different.

I do get this forum has some wealthier folks but it seems a bit strange at these prices to be asking questions like what is better than X for $150k. The question is difficult to answer at $1500, $8,500, $15,000 etc. Especially when the item is second-hand - people have to hear several examples of various amps at each price point in multiple systems and still the variance would be large.

One of the reasons audio is probably the worst hobby in terms of finding results that people agree upon. It's far easier with cars and even then people can drive two very similarly priced cars and each person buys something different. But at least with cars if you drive a Honda Accord and Toyota Camry and I drive the same two cars - we can both have a VERY similar experience. We may both agree that the Camry has less road and wind noise and we may both say that the Honda handles better in corners and is more fun to drive but then maybe I value more the comfort and lower noise and you value the sporty handling. In audio, all of this is exponentially compounded by the fact that you hear one preamp versus 3 others in a different system in a different city and you love Jazz - while I listen to the amp against 3 other preamps in a different room with rock and pop or classical and draw a very different conclusion.

Even cameras - you can take the top cameras - look at the pictures they all take and yet still - not everyone agrees on which is the best one.

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
Great post. Puts it all into common sense perspective.

caesar

May 30, 2010
My favorite sonic characters: dynamic, transparent, fast, clarity, soulful, resolution, bass control, 3D soundstage, detail.
My target amp: Gryphon Apex or Mephisto
Budget (preamp): under USD 150K

Any suggestion?

Thanks!

What exactly do you mean by each of those audiophile words? :)

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
Hello @Seeker.Nirand please allow me to a very warm welcome to the What's Best Forum.

Some information about your current system would help others here to help you.

Caesar, if you don't know what these terms are by now? Lawd help ya' man. Let's not derail a new members inquiry.

Tom

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing