Speakers up to $30K

iaxel

Oct 25, 2016
Yet another “recommendation/suggestion” thread...

Playing with the thought of replacing my speakers (Magico S3 mk1).
Currently driving them with a Luxman m900u connected to a VAC Reference preamp.

I listen mostly to classical music, some classic rock/prog-rock and jazz.

Current considered candidates are:
Magico S3 mk2
Rockport Atria 2
Vimberg Mino D (diamond)/Tonda

Looking to stay in the “wanna-be-colorless” camp. But am open to interesting suggestions/directions.

Thanks!

GSOphile

Sep 3, 2017
If I were in your shoes, those would be on my list too, along with the Wilson Yvette and Revel Salon 2. After hearing the S3 Mk1 late in its cycle, I decided to wait on the S3 Mk2. I'd do it again. Great fit for my room and tastes (mostly classical/jazz).

iaxel

Oct 25, 2016
iaxel What is your room size?
Approx 24x12 feet, but the speakers are located on the long wall due to some room restrictions. So I sit pretty close to them (~8-8.5 feet).

pdubya

Oct 30, 2012
Audiophile wasteland
I have a pair of M900u's driving YG Hailey 1.2's in a 14x19 foot room (I sit about 9' away), and classical and jazz sound great. Frankly, in a room this size I can get away with just one M900u in stereo mode, but since I have both ...
If you're in the US, demo stock of the original Haileys can be found for less than 30k. I've thought about upgrading to the newer Haileys, which are by all accounts superior, but frankly I'm so happy with the 1.2's it's not worth the bother of crating them up.
Happy hunting.
Parker

iaxel

Oct 25, 2016
If I were in your shoes, those would be on my list too, along with the Wilson Yvette and Revel Salon 2. After hearing the S3 Mk1 late in its cycle, I decided to wait on the S3 Mk2. I'd do it again. Great fit for my room and tastes (mostly classical/jazz).
Thanks! Did you decide to wait on the mk2 because you knew they were coming out or because you’ve felt something was missing from the mk1’s?

And regarding the Wilsons. I’ve heard the Sophie 3, which the Yvettes are aimed to replace, and IMHO they were nowhere near the S3s.

Last edited:

GSOphile

Sep 3, 2017
I
Thanks! Did you decide to wait on the mk2 because you knew they were coming out or because you’ve felt something was missing from the mk1’s?

And regarding the Wilsons. I’ve heard the Sophie 3, which the Yvettes are aimed to replace, and IMHO they were nowhere near the S3s.
I decided to wait because I felt the original S3 bass was a bit light (although wonderfully well defined) and the treble felt a bit tipped up. The Mk2 addressed both concerns.

Bodhi

Apr 20, 2014
Approx 24x12 feet, but the speakers are located on the long wall due to some room restrictions. So I sit pretty close to them (~8-8.5 feet).
Amongst the speakers in your OP, I like the Magico S3 Mk2's and Vimberg Mino D. I think the Tonda would be too big for your room. Here are some further suggestions..

Up to $16kUS, I like the following speakers...

- Devore Fidelity GIbbon X @$15.9k
- Joseph Audio Perspective2 Graphene @$15k
- Audio Solutions Figaro L @$10k

$16k - $30k, I like these speakers...
- Magico S3 Mk2 (as discussed)
- Vimberg Mino D (as discussed)
- Wilson Benesch ACT One Evolution @circa $30k
- YG Acoustics Vantage @$32.8k

As always, trust your ears. At this level, an audition is strongly recommend if you can swing it. Good luck with your search!

iaxel

Oct 25, 2016
I

I decided to wait because I felt the original S3 bass was a bit light (although wonderfully well defined) and the treble felt a bit tipped up. The Mk2 addressed both concerns.
Thanks!

iaxel

Oct 25, 2016
I have a pair of M900u's driving YG Hailey 1.2's in a 14x19 foot room (I sit about 9' away), and classical and jazz sound great. Frankly, in a room this size I can get away with just one M900u in stereo mode, but since I have both ...
If you're in the US, demo stock of the original Haileys can be found for less than 30k. I've thought about upgrading to the newer Haileys, which are by all accounts superior, but frankly I'm so happy with the 1.2's it's not worth the bother of crating them up.
Happy hunting.
Parker
Sounds interesting, unfortunately, there’s no YG distribution where I live.

iaxel

Oct 25, 2016
Revel Ultima Salon2
Magnepan MG-20 or MG-30
Sanders ESL
Thanks!
There’s no Revel and Sanders distribution where I live.
Regarding, ribbons, I believe they require much more space to “breath”.

iaxel

Oct 25, 2016
Amongst the speakers in your OP, I like the Magico S3 Mk2's and Vimberg Mino D. I think the Tonda would be too big for your room. Here are some further suggestions..

Up to $16kUS, I like the following speakers...

- Devore Fidelity GIbbon X @$15.9k
- Joseph Audio Perspective2 Graphene @$15k
- Audio Solutions Figaro L @$10k

$16k - $30k, I like these speakers...
- Magico S3 Mk2 (as discussed)
- Vimberg Mino D (as discussed)
- Wilson Benesch ACT One Evolution @circa $30k
- YG Acoustics Vantage @$32.8k

As always, trust your ears. At this level, an audition is strongly recommend if you can swing it. Good luck with your search!
Thanks Bodhi!
Do you think the Devore X is a worthy contender against the S3?

I’ve auditioned the WB ACT one in the past. They are lovely speakers, but, to my taste, a bit lacking in resolution, scale and bottom end.

Bodhi

Apr 20, 2014
Thanks Bodhi!
Do you think the Devore X is a worthy contender against the S3?

I’ve auditioned the WB ACT one in the past. They are lovely speakers, but, to my taste, a bit lacking in resolution, scale and bottom end.
Yes the Gibbon X is certainly worthy of consideration. That model, along with the 0-93 & 0-96 offer great bang for the buck. The Gibbon X however is more of a full range speaker. Re: the Act One, fyi the ACT One Evo is quite a bit better than its predecessor in the areas you mentioned, so maybe worth revisiting.

DonH50

Member Sponsor & WBF Technical Expert
Jun 22, 2010
Monument, CO
Thanks!
There’s no Revel and Sanders distribution where I live.
Regarding, ribbons, I believe they require much more space to “breath”.

Where do you live? A $30k investment may be a worth a little road trip.

If by "colorless" you mean "neutral with accurate frequency response" then Revels are a great choice IME/IMO. Read some of the reviews and comments here, at AVS and other fora, Serophile, etc.

Sanders is mostly direct sales these days AFAIK.

The Magnepan MG-20 and MG-30 (and MG-3) include a ribbon tweeter but the rest of the panels are technically planar-dynamic and not true ribbon speakers. That said, any dipole (ESL, planar-dynamic, ribbon, or using conventional drivers) either needs enough space behind to reduce comb filter effects or a well-treated wall behind. I did not think your original post mentioned room size or speaker positioning, sorry if I missed that. *Edit: Saw your later post. If you can pull the speakers 3'-5' from the wall behind they should be OK.

If you are not familiar with planar dipoles you should definitely listen before purchase. People tend to really like them or dislike them, not much middle ground IME.

I have not heard most of the other speakers and just threw out some alternatives based upon my experience. Speakers tend to be a pretty personal decision and there a lot of great ones these days. Makes choosing harder in a lot of ways...

Reactions: davidmiller30

iaxel

Oct 25, 2016
Yes the Gibbon X is certainly worthy of consideration. That model, along with the 0-93 & 0-96 offer great bang for the buck. The Gibbon X however is more of a full range speaker. Re: the Act One, fyi the ACT One Evo is quite a bit better than its predecessor in the areas you mentioned, so maybe worth revisiting.
Interesting, thanks!
I have home demo’d the Devore O93 and it didn’t really “click” in my set-up. Could be positioning or amplification...
Regarding the WB, I believe it was the One Evo, as it was no more than 2 years ago.

Joe P

May 11, 2019

IMO, the Sophia 3s are a much better than the Magico S3s.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Interesting, thanks!
I have home demo’d the Devore O93 and it didn’t really “click” in my set-up. Could be positioning or amplification...
Regarding the WB, I believe it was the One Evo, as it was no more than 2 years ago.

What amps did you try? Don't you have a Luxman?

Bodhi

Apr 20, 2014
Interesting, thanks!
The Devore 0rangutans have good synergy with tube amps such as Audio Note and Leben. The Gibbon X, whilst happy with tubed amplication, are best paired with a ss class A amp imho. The classic Coda Model 11 comes to mind.

Last edited:
Reactions: bonzo75

iaxel

Oct 25, 2016
What amps did you try? Don't you have a Luxman?
Yep, with the Luxman. Not sure what was wrong (or not), but the O93 did not impress me at all.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing