Power amp - where to go from here...

Koegz

Oct 29, 2016
systems.audiogon.com
Personally I am not a fan of boulder which I feel is a little on the dry side. I used to run Gryphon Colosseum Monoblocks and they were great but I have to say your Luxman is no slouch and very competitive with all the ones you’ve mentioned. CH is pretty clean and neutral but I certainly wouldn’t call it sweet. You might wish to add Orpheus to your list. It’s amps are excellent and those who crave some tube sweetness
with Solid state slam would like them. They are also incredibly well built.
If gryphon colosseum’s were great why sell? Only ask because I am considering a purchase. I know they have been discontinued. Any input well appreciated.

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012
If gryphon colosseum’s were great why sell? Only ask because I am considering a purchase. I know they have been discontinued. Any input well appreciated.
I like to switch things around a bit when a bargain pops up so no it wasn't the Gryphons that made me change. In fact I do miss them with their rather dark dimmisive tones. They do get hot though being class A and one would occasionally shut down if things got heavy. I never got to try them with a gryphon preamp but they worked great with a kondo M7. Hope that helps. I didn't know they had been discontinued! For a big heavy class A amp they probably have the smallest footprint in the business!

iaxel

Oct 25, 2016
Well, the WB Resolution are fully broken in and sounding lovely with the Luxman m900.
I’ve visited a friend and heard a Wilson Audio + Lamm combo and it sounded so musical and “right”.
I was wondering if the Lamm M1.2 monos will be a good match with the WB, and if anyone compared them to the Luxman m900?

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
Well, the WB Resolution are fully broken in and sounding lovely with the Luxman m900.
I’ve visited a friend and heard a Wilson Audio + Lamm combo and it sounded so musical and “right”.
I was wondering if the Lamm M1.2 monos will be a good match with the WB, and if anyone compared them to the Luxman m900?

Lamm will sound great with any speaker and the M1.2’s easily drive most speakers. As a Lamm only dealer I’m obviously biased towards it over any other brand so you should audition whatever you need to help you decide.

david

Reactions: tima

GSOphile

Sep 3, 2017
My choices would be narrowed to a second Luxman M900u to enable a mono configuration. These were the amps chosen to drive Magico M6s at the recent Florida audio show. Also the Gryphon Antileon EVO and the D'Agostino Momentum S250.

Reactions: gentcan

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing