Sound Quality of new roon versions (builds)

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
Reactions: Steve Williams

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
I just went in and also deleted the unused filters from the previously disabled dsp… I was playing jazz and with filters gone the whole thing is more free and open and better resolved and now playing a violin concerto and the playing seems just that bit more effortless and fluid and the timbre and tone of the violin has moved more towards the real. You are a gem Christoph… the horns and I both say thank you :)
You are very welcome :cool:

ronfint

Oct 29, 2012
Michigan
users.math.msu.edu
To get back to the original question: Has anyone compared the current Roon build 918 to previous ones? I saw on the Roon forum that Mercman has found an uptick in sound quality in 918.

I am on 903. I stopped upgrading not because of SQ but because I wanted to continue to use HQPlayer on my LDMS mini. Since then Lucas Domansky has given us an alternative Roon playback route using Squeezelite rather than HQPlayer, but he warned me that updating Roon would sacrifice SQ. I'd try 918 if there was a way back, but, alas, I know of none.

Reactions: christoph

Daverich4

May 8, 2020
So here’s the end to my part of your story. I never play with the settings on my Taiko but I play Roon through my Extreme. I opened Roon and clicked on the volume icon at bottom right. In the DSD sunscreen it showed all the filters and by default through my Extreme they are all OFF

so if any Extreme owners read this Emile has you covered and no worry
They are all off by default on any new Roon installation. The fact that none of them were on suggests that you never turned any of them on, not that Emile did anything.

Reactions: oldmustang

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
They are all off by default on any new Roon installation. The fact that none of them were on suggests that you never turned any of them on, not that Emile did anything.
You're correct but the caveat is that XDMS lands in May and all of this for me at least will be moot

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
To get back to the original question: Has anyone compared the current Roon build 918 to previous ones? I saw on the Roon forum that Mercman has found an uptick in sound quality in 918.

I am on 903. I stopped upgrading not because of SQ but because I wanted to continue to use HQPlayer on my LDMS mini. Since then Lucas Domansky has given us an alternative Roon playback route using Squeezelite rather than HQPlayer, but he warned me that updating Roon would sacrifice SQ. I'd try 918 if there was a way back, but, alas, I know of none.
Ill
say this if Lukas says don’t do and has taken the time like taiko does too follow his lead.
he is a bud he does check. Having said this every system and person has he or she own likes

ronfint

Oct 29, 2012
Michigan
users.math.msu.edu
Ill
say this if Lukas says don’t do and has taken the time like taiko does too follow his lead.
he is a bud he does check. Having said this every system and person has he or she own likes
Thanks — I did follow Lucas’ recommendation. That’s why I have not updated from build 903. 918 is new, and I’ve heard no recommendations about that.

leyenda

Mar 2, 2011
I updated to the new build as I thought it couldn't have been worst. Also had a few changes to the system, but I do believe there is a noticeable uptick in sound quality of a new build.

One nagging thing is I have problem loading album cover on my ipad. Anyone had these problems before? Tried rebooting and clearing cache to no help. Nucleus+.

Steve Williams

I hope every roon user here has deleted all the filters in the dsp section :D
Not only disabled but completely deleted.
If not, please do and comment afterwards ;)
Well for the sake of carrying out this little experiment I went back from TAS to Roon yesterday and did find how to delete those three filters. I sat down to listen and, yes, I'm shocked, the sound quality is indeed better. To my ears it sounded more natural than when the filters are there but disabled

Kudos to you Christoph for passing this little nugget of info along

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
You're correct but the caveat is that XDMS lands in May and all of this for me at least will be moot
Steve, I guess I've missed something, what's XDMS?

Steve Williams

Steve, I guess I've missed something, what's XDMS?
That’s the new software/player coming in May for the Extreme. It will make Roon a thing of the past It will replace current TAS

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Well for the sake of carrying out this little experiment I went back from TAS to Roon yesterday and did find how to delete those three filters. I sat down to listen and, yes, I'm shocked, the sound quality is indeed better. To my ears it sounded more natural than when the filters are there but disabled

Thanks for trying and confirming, Steve :cool:

Reactions: Steve Williams

cat6man

Feb 6, 2013
west of NYC, east of SF

How do you delete the filters. I went to the DSP page in Roon and see 3 filters that are disabled. I am able to turn them on and off, but not delete. Obviously, I'm missing something.

@Steve: like you, I anxiously wait for XMDS, however I'm happy (less unhappy?) staying with Roon for a little bit longer, even with less than the best sound, as I just cannot live without gapless anymore.

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
How do you delete the filters. I went to the DSP page in Roon and see 3 filters that are disabled. I am able to turn them on and off, but not delete. Obviously, I'm missing something.
Open each filter individually and then delete the filter on the top right corner

Reactions: lwr and ihmeyers

cat6man

Feb 6, 2013
west of NYC, east of SF
Open each filter individually and then delete the filter on the top right corner

all i see is enabled or disabled.
how do you open a filter?

i don't know if it matters but i'm running the roon client on an android phone

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
all i see is enabled or disabled.
how do you open a filter?

i don't know if it matters but i'm running the roon client on an android phone
Thanks for the additional info.
That matters indeed.
Do the same on a tablet or a notebook or a computer and there you will be able to delete the filters

Reactions: lwr

Steve Williams

It took me a while to find the delete button but Christoph tells how above. Do each one separately

Steve Vu

Oct 26, 2020
We have to look at the situation realistically. Roon isn't the matter. The problem lies in the target of companies.

If companies put Roon is their core, they will need to optimize their OS to take full use of Roon. In this situation, Roon is the best.

If companies create ABC software player to optimize their music servers, ABC is the best.

Remember Roon is the best software player currently. There is no one can catch them up at least next few years. If companies cannot take full great value of Roon, maybe that is because they do not want or their limited ability, not because of Roon's SQ.

I always update all of Roon's latest versions at once they is released and my system is never worse on any Roon's version.

Steve Williams

We have to look at the situation realistically. Roon isn't the matter. The problem lies in the target of companies.

If companies put Roon is their core, they will need to optimize their OS to take full use of Roon. In this situation, Roon is the best.

If companies create ABC software player to optimize their music servers, ABC is the best.

Remember Roon is the best software player currently. There is no one can catch them up at least next few years. If companies cannot take full great value of Roon, maybe that is because they do not want or their limited ability, not because of Roon's SQ.

I always update all of Roon's latest versions at once they is released and my system is never worse on any Roon's version.
we will have to agree to disagree once May rolls around as my bets are on XDMS. Roon is a relic

cat6man

Feb 6, 2013
west of NYC, east of SF
Thanks for the additional info.
That matters indeed.
Do the same on a tablet or a notebook or a computer and there you will be able to delete the filters

hi, i was just about to post that i had discovered that the option to delete was indeed visible on my fire hd10 android tablet and not on the pixel 6 pro mobile but you beat me to it.
thanks (and let's go XMDS!)

by the way, the engineer in me wants to understand why the $#*! disable filters option is not sufficient.
it seems roon is passing the audio through some software module even if the filters are disabled, and their passthrough mode is either non-transparent or non-functioning as intended

by the way, i did not bother doing a before/after comparison as i'm stuck with roon (for gapless) until XMDS gets here.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing