Sound Quality of new roon versions (builds)

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
I would like to point that unless all the details about the digital system being used are clearly referred in the post or in the signature of the poster, the opinions about the software used for file playback are of little real value. The platform running Roon is a critical point, even the drivers being used with Roon can influence the sound performance.
While your comment has some small value it’s way off the topic of Roon revisions and sounds. if we do as you are suggesting it becomes a non neutral conclusive compare. Sorry chris is perfectly on topic

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
You also can add the filters back once deleted
the effect on the sound is not subtle but profound alone lol. it’s profound period
and add obvious as well.
how do you add them back

christoph

Dec 11, 2015

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
To help prove the point how deaf the Roon gods are. they never even acknowledge how badly they make Roon sound.
it’s a tone deaf belief they know better like Roli if back older Roon.

• Haha
Reactions: christoph

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
So here’s the end to my part of your story. I never play with the settings on my Taiko but I play Roon through my Extreme. I opened Roon and clicked on the volume icon at bottom right. In the DSD sunscreen it showed all the filters and by default through my Extreme they are all OFF

so if any Extreme owners read this Emile has you covered and no worry

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Also I’ll be grAtefull for your Helping me back then and till today.
You and Lucas Domanski are the ones who always help people!
I have to thank the two of you, not the other way around ;)

Last edited:

christoph

Dec 11, 2015

nonesup

VIP/Donor
Feb 15, 2017
Spain
And?
Did you notice a change in the sound after deleting all of the filters?
Well, I can't give you an opinion, when I had just removed the filters, a fairly strong electrical storm has started, so I have turned off the entire system for prevention. I'm going to be away for a few days and then I'll listen with and without filters.

sbo6

VIP/Donor
May 18, 2014
Round Rock, TX
IME ROON solo never sounded as good as ROON driving HQPlayer, and HQPlayer stand - alone sounds even better (completely omitting ROON). And HQPlayer stand - alone installed in system memory playing music copied to system memory is the best. Stand - alone ROON versus this last mentioned HQPlayer configuration is a ridiculous difference in sound quality.

Also, I haven't compared ROON vs ROON + HQplayer in quite a while, however I do believe that in the past month or so with the several forced ROON updates it seems to sound increasingly worse compared to stand - along HQPlayer.

Reactions: oldmustang

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
And how lucky taiko owners are to have Emily
to help. all the hard work just to fix what can do but Ignores its paying clients

sbo6

VIP/Donor
May 18, 2014
Round Rock, TX
And how lucky taiko owners are to have Emily
to help. all the hard work just to fix what can do but Ignores its paying clients
Well, there's that $25k+ taiko server price tag, so not so much luck. ;-)

HughP3

VIP/Donor
Apr 25, 2019
A bit off topic but Roon question still, what if anything does Roon do while playing local files? Is it pass thru or does Roon affect it somehow? Thanks

ps i do no dsp, roon recognized my msb

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
I'm glad you found out about the sonic superiority of squeezelite over roon RAAT.
I wanted to tell you because I knew that your server can also output squeezelite but didn't find the time to do so :confused:
I just went in and also deleted the unused filters from the previously disabled dsp… I was playing jazz and with filters gone the whole thing is more free and open and better resolved and now playing a violin concerto and the playing seems just that bit more effortless and fluid and the timbre and tone of the violin has moved more towards the real. You are a gem Christoph… the horns and I both say thank you :)

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing