SMT Wing Diffusors vs. QRD Diffusors? Effective?

Anyone recommend the most desirable type of wood when looking at diffusers? Baltic birch, pine, mdf or does it really matter as long as the design is well executed? Thank you.
Available products have different properties regarding reflection, diffusion and absorption. Material absorption is one factor, but the design itself also result in more or less "geometrical" absorption, i.e. due to the shape of the diffusing elements.
If you're looking for a diffusor, I would recommend to first look at the range and efficiency of diffusion, i.e. the geometrical design. Secondly the material property which will mainly affect the degree of absorption.

Marcus

Member Sponsor
Oct 5, 2012
The sunny side of the Alps
SMT Wing diffusors are made from MDF and can be painted to your desire. You can also choose from a few real wood veneers but the price goes up considerably and I doubt this option sounds any better then the standard. I suspect that real wood Wing diffusers (I don’t know if that option exists at SMT) would cost at least three times more. But FWIW, I would certainly choose maple, birch or some other real wood instead of MDF if money was not an object. And I would only wax if at all.

Gene 15352

Feb 19, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Thank you Cal_jr and Marcus, very informative. Looking at 3D wall art for fun as well. Aesthetically pleasing but may not be up to audiophile standards. https://www.walldecor3d.com/

adyc

VIP/Donor
Jan 6, 2013
In your experience with both products, is there any logical way to use both products at the same time, trying to realize the best of both products in the same system?

Do you happen to be familiar with the pros and cons of the RPG Diffractal product versus the RPG Modfractal product?
I really don’t see there is a need to use both products together.

If you use a long array of diffractal, the pattern of the diffractal repeats itself. The diffracted sound will exhibit lobing. Modffractual will reduce the lobing by using kind of non repeating pattern.

About us

• Founded in 2010 What's Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing