SME Series V

PeterA

Dec 7, 2011
North Shore of Boston
I believe there is a difference besides the color of the print. I can't remember what I read, but I think it has to do with type of wiring and perhaps the bearing. I'd send an email to SME and ask the question.

ddk

Industry Expert
May 19, 2013
Utah
Was looking to buy another tonearm and wanted to know if there is a difference between the Series V with the Silver lettering vs. the Gold lettering.
The one thing I know for sure Bruce is that all new SME tonearms now come wired with silver wires, you can't even get replacement wiring for their vintage arms that's not silver.

David

May 30, 2010
Portugal
Thanks David.... I got a new cartridge and figured it would be much easier to change arms, since I already have an additional base, than to change out cartridges....
Wise decision ... The SME30 base is a precision device that locks perfectly in place. I considered it, just to have an SMEV and a Graham 2.2 in the SME30. BTW, as far as I know the silver/gold lettering is now just a cosmetic option, all current SMEV's come with vdH silver litz wire of type MCS150.

ddk

Industry Expert
May 19, 2013
Utah
Thanks David.... I got a new cartridge and figured it would be much easier to change arms, since I already have an additional base, than to change out cartridges....
You're welcome Bruce. In case of the V/12 I agree with you, it is easier to swap out arms on armboards than changing cartridges. I'm sure if you look around you can find older V/12s if silver is an issue, it is for me.

david