Slow Car Fast or Fast Car Slow

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
nicks car must have been an SV, the one and only jota burned to the ground. the 'stories' or chain of ownership is sometimes as interesting as the car itself. leno's free miura was ex-dean martin (son's car).

go to adam carolla's bogspot http://www.adamcarolla.com/CarCastBlog/2010/02/13/adams-miura/nggallery/page-2/
the story of his childhood dream goes from acquring a mura at auction for 300k and having bobileff restore the car and bringing it up to SV spec (clone). the miura might be the first series production lambo to be worth $1 mil in the near future. adam's car would probably be worth more if he put it back to original.

cages character in leaving las vegas foreshadowed his real life (when he pawns his submariner to feed his adiction) ...from what i heard, he lost a lot of his car collection to debt consolidation:(
Puro- You are correct that the original- and only- Jota version burned, but apparently the factory modified several, including another Miura for the Shah - that were split sump cars, and while not the 'original' Jota, are still considered 'factory' Jota, not clones. See
http://www.lambocars.com/miura/miura_svj_and_customized_miura.html

DEV

Oct 19, 2011
Dev, thats your opinion if you feel your comments did not "derail" the original thread topic but using words like "crap" to describe another members honest opinion is totally uncalled for.

Can you read, crap is better than "bulls.."

DEV

Oct 19, 2011
He still won't let me drive it.

Hi Jack SLS, I had one but just didn't do it for me but very nice. I was told it is one of the most returned resale vehicles here anyways. The problems I had; blind spots, the doors how they open "underground parking, garage parking, parking in general getting in and out parking manly, I had to always plan where I was going which kinda sucked"

The Buggati Veyron is in a whole different league but also the $ to own one is on par, Porsche Carrera GT was a blast but really needed to be on the track, streets just did not suite it.

tdh888

Nov 4, 2010
Philippines
The passions are linked. Some of the tres serious collectors are pretty low key about it. I got into a thing once over on Ferrarichat- there was a guy there causing some trouble, and I used to help out. I was in the middle of teaching a class later that night and my blackberry buzzed. At the break, I checked it. It was an email from a well known rock star who lurked, telling me he had a run-in with the same dude over a Ferrari. Funny ****.

I use to post a thing or two at ferrarichat.com when we had problems w/ our old mondial 3. 2 Cabriolet. They are very knowledgeable and very helpful, just like the members in this forum

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
Hi Jack SLS, I had one but just didn't do it for me but very nice. I was told it is one of the most returned resale vehicles here anyways. The problems I had; blind spots, the doors how they open "underground parking, garage parking, parking in general getting in and out parking manly, I had to always plan where I was going which kinda sucked"

The Buggati Veyron is in a whole different league but also the $ to own one is on par, Porsche Carrera GT was a blast but really needed to be on the track, streets just did not suite it.
Dev- I came close to buying the Carrera GT shortly after it came out. I went on a boondoggle to the Barber Motorsports facility in Birmingham, where Porsche does some driver training and testing. (It's a great track and it is adjacent to that wonderful motorcycle museum- well worth the trip if you've never been). I had Hurley Haywood as my instructor. The CGT was twitchy, the clutch, although fabulous once rolling, was tricky-yes, I stalled the first time, like many. You have no idea how fast you are going in that car. You feel like you are doing 90 and you are doing 130. I tend to agree that the car is a handful and it was a notorious widow-maker. The GT-2 was far more leisurely to drive, and that's saying something!
If you are serious about million dollar plus cars like the Veyron, my take - buy the original McLaren F1. I don't think the build and design of that car has been bettered and it now, what 17 years old? Yeah, the Veyron will do 240 mph but I'm not sure that's worth much. Plus, it is a big, heavy bugger. If I were spending that kind of money on a car (trust me, I ain't), it would be more in the vein of a 250 short wheel base, but these days, I doubt you could get near one at a million. My two pesos.

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
Bruce pretty much nailed it. Doesn't matter how much horsepower you put in an SUV, a sport bike less than the price of its upgrades will smoke it every time. So if it's not really about performance, what is it about? Myself, I always figured an SUV was a mini van without the resignation. Not that there's anything wrong with that, I've owned a couple of them myself. But when you dress them up for performance they have all the cred of an overweight accountant in bike shorts. That's probably why these kinds of conversations so rapidly go to the Turbos owned and the Veyrons desired.

Tim

puroagave

Member Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Dev- I came close to buying the Carrera GT shortly after it came out. I went on a boondoggle to the Barber Motorsports facility in Birmingham, where Porsche does some driver training and testing. (It's a great track and it is adjacent to that wonderful motorcycle museum- well worth the trip if you've never been). I had Hurley Haywood as my instructor. The CGT was twitchy, the clutch, although fabulous once rolling, was tricky-yes, I stalled the first time, like many. You have no idea how fast you are going in that car. You feel like you are doing 90 and you are doing 130. I tend to agree that the car is a handful and it was a notorious widow-maker. The GT-2 was far more leisurely to drive, and that's saying something!
If you are serious about million dollar plus cars like the Veyron, my take - buy the original McLaren F1. I don't think the build and design of that car has been bettered and it now, what 17 years old? Yeah, the Veyron will do 240 mph but I'm not sure that's worth much. Plus, it is a big, heavy bugger. If I were spending that kind of money on a car (trust me, I ain't), it would be more in the vein of a 250 short wheel base, but these days, I doubt you could get near one at a million. My two pesos.

Bill, you're off a few mil on the current F1 market price. but hey, whats a few million between firends! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZxW8O7W2Hs

250 SWBs have doubled in price over the last three years, depending on provenence from 3 mil on up, the aluminium competition cars are through the roof! even clones like this one have sold for over 500k http://www.kidston.com/kidston-cars/37/1959-Ferrari-250GT

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Can you read, crap is better than "bulls.."

Dev

kindly take a relax in the manner in which you post that often times becomes somewhat insulting to other members. Please re-read our TOS as ongoing comments such as these will result in further warnings and sanctions.

DEV

Oct 19, 2011
Bruce pretty much nailed it. Doesn't matter how much horsepower you put in an SUV, a sport bike less than the price of its upgrades will smoke it every time. So if it's not really about performance, what is it about? Myself, I always figured an SUV was a mini van without the resignation. Not that there's anything wrong with that, I've owned a couple of them myself. But when you dress them up for performance they have all the cred of an overweight accountant in bike shorts. That's probably why these kinds of conversations so rapidly go to the Turbos owned and the Veyrons desired.

Tim

If you have ever owned a Porsche Cayenne, BMW X5 or X6 M series or AMG 63 like myself and actually gone to a track day held by any of these manufactures you will find that these SUV's perform along with surpasing cars within the same so what some are writing just makes no sence and clearly demonstrates to me lack of first hand experience. :)

Bikes, I most defiantly don't agree with your statement Tim and I have owned many top notch ones.

Steve Williams

Dev

it's too bad no one other than you can have an opinion about performance cars as yours seems to always be the sine qua non. I might suggest a small humility pill. They tend to work in situations such as this

DEV

Oct 19, 2011
Dev

kindly take a relax in the manner in which you post that often times becomes somewhat insulting to other members. Please re-read our TOS as ongoing comments such as these will result in further warnings and sanctions.

Steve same back to you, as I said your remarks were uncalled for. I even have members replying telling me such.

DEV

Oct 19, 2011
Dev

it's too bad no one other than you can have an opinion about performance cars as yours seems to always be the sine qua non. I might suggest a small humility pill. They tend to work in situations such as this

Steve, I except everyones opinion and what makes you think I don't. When I write this is my opinion, I am allowed right? but reading your comments seem to differ why?

Last edited:

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
Not sure what is the main intent of this thread, but I felt tempted to mention that I also like cars, but in my case Mexico City has (as some sure know) not the best streets around :), we find uneven, bumps and construction posts all over - so I decided to keep my faith on BMW and currently driving a 535 sedan, it has, at least for me, the right sports feeling balanced with the confort suspension and security gadgets I appreciate.

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
Bill, you're off a few mil on the current F1 market price. but hey, whats a few million between firends! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZxW8O7W2Hs

250 SWBs have doubled in price over the last three years, depending on provenence from 3 mil on up, the aluminium competition cars are through the roof! even clones like this one have sold for over 500k http://www.kidston.com/kidston-cars/37/1959-Ferrari-250GT
No doubt- just teaches me to buy them when they are merely extremely expensive. I actually like the 250 SWB better than the holy grail 250 GT0. There was one GTO I saw some years ago that was still in original livery (if memory serves, it was that insane asylum light green) with peeling paint, tatty inside- sorta made me happy.
Crazy money for 250 Lussos too. Car's pretty, not worth what it probably now asks.
The 250 Cabrio was another one in mk ii form that was at one time a relative bargain compared to the mk 1. No more, i gather.
I have, stashed in the garage, years of old Gerry Rousch Ferrari Market Letters. Those would probably be pretty amusing to look through today.

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
If you have ever owned a Porsche Cayenne, BMW X5 or X6 M series or AMG 63 like myself and actually gone to a track day held by any of these manufactures you will find that these SUV's perform along with surpasing cars within the same so what some are writing just makes no sence and clearly demonstrates to me lack of first hand experience. :)

Bikes, I most defiantly don't agree with your statement Tim and I have owned many top notch ones.

I'd feel much safer in a car, than a bike, at speed. You can't really corner as fast, or as safely, at the speeds involved.
Dev- I get uber trucks, but the power to weight ratio, and the center of gravity, aside from the sheer mass of driving a truck, really turns me off. I like my sports cars small and nimble. That's one of the reasons why even the uber sports cars turn me off these days. They are just too big and heavy. Not that I'm going all Colin Chapman on ya. But there has got to be a balance between power, weight, size and maneuverability. Though i'm agnostic- i can respect the guy driving a Miata or japanese supercar as much as a Ferrari- i find the older more primitive cars- no power steering, no power seats or windows, no electronic aids, etc. more engaging to drive. But, I guess you know that. :)

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
Not sure what is the main intent of this thread, but I felt tempted to mention that I also like cars, but in my case Mexico City has (as some sure know) not the best streets around :), we find uneven, bumps and construction posts all over - so I decided to keep my faith on BMW and currently driving a 535 sedan, it has, at least for me, the right sports feeling balanced with the confort suspension and security gadgets I appreciate.
There's an older guy in my neighborhood who drives a 2002. Always puts a smile on my face.
PS- even checked the roads around New York City? Makes you want something with tractor treads on it.

puroagave

Member Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
No doubt- just teaches me to buy them when they are merely extremely expensive. I actually like the 250 SWB better than the holy grail 250 GT0. There was one GTO I saw some years ago that was still in original livery (if memory serves, it was that insane asylum light green) with peeling paint, tatty inside- sorta made me happy.
Crazy money for 250 Lussos too. Car's pretty, not worth what it probably now asks.
The 250 Cabrio was another one in mk ii form that was at one time a relative bargain compared to the mk 1. No more, i gather.
I have, stashed in the garage, years of old Gerry Rousch Ferrari Market Letters. Those would probably be pretty amusing to look through today.

amusing or make you cry, then again if we all had a cyrstal ball we'd be somewhere else. i wouldnt be here, id be on the vintage racing circuit with a DBR-1!

im sure you've seen wayne carini's reality show, why people still sell to him 30% below market just to be on tv still baffles me, but then wayne wouldnt have a show or cars to broker:rolleyes:

DEV

Oct 19, 2011
I'd feel much safer in a car, than a bike, at speed. You can't really corner as fast, or as safely, at the speeds involved.
Dev- I get uber trucks, but the power to weight ratio, and the center of gravity, aside from the sheer mass of driving a truck, really turns me off. I like my sports cars small and nimble. That's one of the reasons why even the uber sports cars turn me off these days. They are just too big and heavy. Not that I'm going all Colin Chapman on ya. But there has got to be a balance between power, weight, size and maneuverability. Though i'm agnostic- i can respect the guy driving a Miata or japanese supercar as much as a Ferrari- i find the older more primitive cars- no power steering, no power seats or windows, no electronic aids, etc. more engaging to drive. But, I guess you know that. :)

It's really choose your posion just like anything else out there in life, when I wrote about the MINI COOPER S and embarasing on a track would include myself just so others reading get the full picture.

I was at a track day with 3 laps, Viper + GT2 + Mini Copper S. All very experiened drivers and the Mini C won with a 1/2 lap. I drove my Carrera, I don't have as much experience but can hold my own, he killed me on the corners and I had too much power in the straight aways. I then drove my Cayenne and still lost but was allot closer.

Steve Williams

Steve, I except everyones opinion and what makes you think I don't. When I write this is my opinion, I am allowed right? but reading your comments seem to differ why?

You need to re-read your posts because I assure you that for every comment you have received about me from members I have received at least 10 about you. If you want to take this further I am happy to discuss it with you off-line. Short of that my position stands. IMO if truly you accept (not except) other members' opinions then it comes off condescending in the way I read it

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
It's really choose your posion just like anything else out there in life, when I wrote about the MINI COOPER S and embarasing on a track would include myself just so others reading get the full picture.

I was at a track day with 3 laps, Viper + GT2 + Mini Copper S. All very experiened drivers and the Mini C won with a 1/2 lap. I drove my Carrera, I don't have as much experience but can hold my own, he killed me on the corners and I had too much power in the straight aways. I then drove my Cayenne and still lost but was allot closer.
We've had two Cooper S (first was a Works car) and are getting a third. I love 'em! Biggest drawback is FWD and torque-steer, but they are basically go-karts. The Works car was way too twitchy for stop and go local grocery getting, but before we settle on our 3d one (which will be a Clubman), I want to test drive a Works version of that. It's a very cool inexpensive car with great fit and finish if you put a few bucks into getting the right options (the Lounge seats are really nice). My wife wouldn't drive the first one (too edgy, although she drives a manual well), and she thought the second one was still too small for any distance. Now, she drives it all over the place- to Maine, to Pa, etc. Great car!

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing