SFP/FMC/Optical cable - The only important ethernet cable?

TRHH

Nov 14, 2022
There is simply no mechanism by which noise can be transferred over an optical cable.

Noise is transferred over electrical connections and no such connection exists using optical. Fiber will kill any noise being transmitted with the data which contains the digitised music.

If this this the case, than the only important ethernet cable would be from FMC to DAC/Streamer - the rest can be "simple" CAT6 U/UTP (see below illustration).

What are you thoughts about that?

Torben

Audio FMC 12072023-V10.jpg

Gunnar

VIP/Donor
Mar 24, 2021
Grand Est France
Torben, interesting subject. I have no technical skill so can not add reliable thoughts but adding one question. Not sure it’s relevant but it has been in my mind for a while.

Can a high end Ethernet cable prior the optics add something else in quality compared to a stock one which will follow through into the DAC/Streamer??

When I added optic into the loop. Noice level went down. It went even further down replacing the transceivers and changed the optic cable to a singelmode glass fibre cable.

Gunnar

Reactions: CKKeung and TRHH

audiobomber

Oct 13, 2020
Sudbury ON, Canada
There is simply no mechanism by which noise can be transferred over an optical cable.

Noise is transferred over electrical connections and no such connection exists using optical. Fiber will kill any noise being transmitted with the data which contains the digitised music.

If this this the case, than the only important ethernet cable would be from FMC to DAC/Streamer - the rest can be "simple" CAT6 U/UTP (see below illustration).

What are you thoughts about that?

Torben
From my personal experience, with my system and a friend's, your statement is so wrong. Changing a power supply or cable upstream from the fiber conversion is easily audible and highly important.

audiobomber

Oct 13, 2020
Sudbury ON, Canada
Can a high end Ethernet cable prior the optics add something else in quality compared to a stock one which will follow through into the DAC/Streamer??
IME, absolutely! I just tried several ethernet cable changes and the results were clear. The most critical cable is the final one before the renderer, but all of the cables in the chain matter, regardless of whether they are upstream or downstream from the fiber conversion.

Gunnar

VIP/Donor
Mar 24, 2021
Grand Est France
From my personal experience, with my system and a friend's, your statement is so wrong. Changing a power supply or cable upstream from the fiber conversion is easily audible and highly important.
I fully agree with you that power supplies, DC and AC power cords upstream makes a difference. In your personal experience did that also include Ethernet cables upstream?

Reactions: Republicoftexas69

audiobomber

Oct 13, 2020
Sudbury ON, Canada
I fully agree with you that power supplies, DC and AC power cords upstream makes a difference. In your personal experience did that also include Ethernet cables upstream?
Yes, including ethernet cables. I tried Furutech, modified Furutech (Telegartner connectors and lifted ground), Melco C100, Supra CAT8 Super (cryo'ed and Telegartner connectors), and a couple of generics, used between my NAS and Silent Angel N8, and from the N8 to the opticalModule Deluxe FMC, all upstream of the fiber conversion. I had clear preferences and the Melco and Supra were no-go for me.

Reactions: Gunnar

DSkip

Industry Expert
Aug 26, 2013
Arlington, TX
www.audiothesis.com

This is a true statement. Theory vs application has created a plethora of arguments in this industry. I focus on application so I don’t have a theoretical argument, but I have experienced the same thing audiobomber has. It’s why I’m investing so heavily in my network.

RnRmf

Apr 29, 2015
My experience is that upstream changes find their way through downstream fiber.

When I first started experimenting with fiber last year, I bought a StarTech FMC that looked like the one pictured in the diagram. Saying it sounded bad is an understatement. I replaced it with a CHEAPER Trendnet switch with fiber capability and it was a dramatic improvement. Additional improvement came with a change to the power supply on that switch (iFi Power Elite).

The rep from Lumin streamers has suggested in forums that switches (fiber compatible) sound better than FMCs and my experience mirrored this.

Reactions: Adimon

audiobomber

Oct 13, 2020
Sudbury ON, Canada
The rep from Lumin streamers has suggested in forums that switches (fiber compatible) sound better than FMCs and my experience mirrored this
But is your experience is limited to a cheap generic FMC? I'm pretty confident that a Sonore opticalModule Deluxe v2 would change your mind.

Also, what kind of switch are your referring to, an audiophile network switch or a generic? I am skeptical that a business grade switch with SFP port would compare well with an EtherREGEN and omD v2. An LHY SW-10 would be better comparator.

TRHH

Nov 14, 2022
Additional improvement came with a change to the power supply on that switch (iFi Power Elite).

Then try this (Galvanic isolation from the mains)- After that I sold my iFi Power Elite

1689177221713.png

Torben

RnRmf

Apr 29, 2015

RnRmf

Apr 29, 2015
But is your experience is limited to a cheap generic FMC? I'm pretty confident that a Sonore opticalModule Deluxe v2 would change your mind.

Also, what kind of switch are your referring to, an audiophile network switch or a generic? I am skeptical that a business grade switch with SFP port would compare well with an EtherREGEN and omD v2. An LHY SW-10 would be better comparator.

Yes, the FMC was a $75 StarTech device. It sounded terrible and sent the sound quality several steps backwards versus non-fiber.

The switches (one on the sending end and one in the room with my stereo) I bought were even cheaper and sounded better than the FMC out off the box and changing the power supply yielded even further improvement.

I'm at a point where I have a hard time imagining how much better the sound could get.

I do plan to demo or buy an "audiophile" switch because I plan to try a different streamer that will accept a direct fiber connection so I'll need a switch in my listening area with 2 SFP slots.

The final improvement was only using ethernet cables with shields not grounded at the plug ends before the fiber conversion and into the switch and the router that precedes it (and for the ethernet connections from the switch in the listening room).

Republicoftexas69

The debate will go on forever. I am 100% fiber and love it!
I have 6 inches of cat 8 in my entire system.

Reactions: TRHH

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
The hobby of hifi is extremely subjective.
Scientific theories are NOT everything.
I always think that listening is believing.

BTW COS of Taiwan will launch a set of "two optical transceivers+optical fiber" soon.
They are examining/auditioning the various products in the market.
Worth keeping an eye on their final launch.
;)

Last edited:
Reactions: orange55 and TRHH

Gunnar

VIP/Donor
Mar 24, 2021
Grand Est France
The debate will go on forever. I am 100% fiber and love it!
I have 6 inches of cat 8 in my entire system.
The 6 inches cat 8 is that closest to the dac / streamer or?
Gunnar

Republicoftexas69

Reactions: Glide3

kennyb123

Nov 30, 2012
Kirkland, WA
Yes, the FMC was a $75 StarTech device. It sounded terrible and sent the sound quality several steps backwards versus non-fiber.
My experience as well with StarTech. It’s done more than any other device (excluding SFPs) to convince me that fiber isn’t anywhere near perfect at isolating.

Reactions: RnRmf

Gunnar

VIP/Donor
Mar 24, 2021
Grand Est France
My experience as well with StarTech. It’s done more than any other device (excluding SFPs) to convince me that fiber isn’t anywhere near perfect at isolating.
I am as far as it can to be an expert in this feld but was told the following..If i understand right you are inline with an expert in the field I had contact with.

I quote what he wrote back to me.

”When there are noise on the Ethernet signal, the noise will be concert to optical as well. With optical you only create a galvanic isolation without filtering out noise.” Stop quote

if correct, which I have no reason not to believe, it means for me that there are two difference types of noise so both optic and Ethernet are needed,

Gunnar

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing