SFP/FMC/Optical cable - The only important ethernet cable?

Gunnar

VIP/Donor
Mar 24, 2021
Grand Est France
I will ask him but as I understand, it’s just the normal noise in the signal coming with the transferred Ethernet data. That’s, I guess is why good Ethernet cables even with fibre still are important. And switches.

From Wikipedia.”Galvanic isolation is a means of preventing DC and unwanted AC currents between two parts of a system while still allowing signal and power transfer between those two parts.”

Gunnar

Reactions: Republicoftexas69

MacF

Jun 12, 2022
Baltimore
Lately I‘ve been auditioning several combinations of Finisar SFP’s & Corning Glass single-mode & multi-mode fiber patch cables.

The rest of the conversion consists of a decent quality ethernet cable from Verizon FIOS router to Sonore Optical Module Deluxe. Then fiber to OpticalModule Deluxe #2. Finally, an excellent SR Galileo SX Ethernet cable to SR UEF Switch. I have a 2nd Galileo running from Nucleus+ to switch.

I thought by utilizing the SR switch, which is so darn good, that it might add that secret sauce. However, today I plan on setting aside some listening time to evaluate a configuration that bypasses the switch & goes directly from Optical Module #2 to Gold Note Integrated w/DAC.

Teddy Pardo LPS’s on router & both OMD’s. SR Switch has an internal PS.

So far, I’m quite pleased with this upgrade and don’t plan to change out these devices anytime soon. However, I‘d be interested in hearing from others who have these same devices In a different configuration.

Goal is finding the sweet spot!

Republicoftexas69

Lately I‘ve been auditioning several combinations of Finisar SFP’s & Corning Glass single-mode & multi-mode fiber patch cables.

The rest of the conversion consists of a decent quality ethernet cable from Verizon FIOS router to Sonore Optical Module Deluxe. Then fiber to OpticalModule Deluxe #2. Finally, an excellent SR Galileo SX Ethernet cable to SR UEF Switch. I have a 2nd Galileo running from Nucleus+ to switch.

I thought by utilizing the SR switch, which is so darn good, that it might add that secret sauce. However, today I plan on setting aside some listening time to evaluate a configuration that bypasses the switch & goes directly from Optical Module #2 to Gold Note Integrated w/DAC.

Teddy Pardo LPS’s on router & both OMD’s. SR Switch has an internal PS.

So far, I’m quite pleased with this upgrade and don’t plan to change out these devices anytime soon. However, I‘d be interested in hearing from others who have these same devices In a different configuration.

Goal is finding the sweet spot!
I have several Finisars, right now I am running FTLX1475DBTL with Owens Corning FO Single Mode and I am quite pleased, have several others I have tried with good results but this combo works well in my system with 2 TeraDak T-S212 with OCXO clocks and 115v, no need for LPS. Our entire Network Ecosystem (whole house) in F/O with 4, 0.5 meter DH Labs Reunion CAT8 ethernet cables.

MacF

Jun 12, 2022
Baltimore
I have several Finisars, right now I am running FTLX1475DBTL with Owens Corning FO Single Mode and I am quite pleased, have several others I have tried with good results but this combo works well in my system with 2 TeraDak T-S212 with OCXO clocks and 115v, no need for LPS. Our entire Network Ecosystem (whole house) in F/O with 4, 0.5 meter DH Labs Reunion CAT8 ethernet cables.
Thanks for feedback. I’m running a pair of Finisar FTLX1475D3BCL transceivers with Corning single-mode fiber. Haven’t tried the Finisar FCBG110SD1C03 Active Optical assembly yet. It’s next. Maybe today?

Republicoftexas69

Thanks for feedback. I’m running a pair of Finisar FTLX1475D3BCL transceivers with Corning single-mode fiber. Haven’t tried the Finisar FCBG110SD1C03 Active Optical assembly yet. It’s next. Maybe today?
I have the 110SD1C03 also as well as the 110SD1C01 ( the difference is the F/o cable length 1m and 3m) and they sound very good also I thought a little warm. Have a pair of the FTLF1318P3BTL I am yet to listen to, I am waiting until I run in some new interconnects in my daily driver. Also love your profile picture, Dogs rule.

Last edited:

MacF

Jun 12, 2022
Baltimore
Small Green Computer sold me a pair of upgraded Finisar FTLF8519P3BTL transceivers that I haven't spent much time with yet.

My profile pic is of Nora the Explorer who is a rescue stray from Bossier Parish, La. She's our 6th rescue over the years and couldn't be more easy going, well adjusted, happy & grateful.

Thought of the Day: We humans can learn a lot from our 4 legged furry companions about living in the moment!

kennyb123

Nov 30, 2012
Kirkland, WA

Republicoftexas69

I have the 110SD1C03 also as well as the 110SD1C01 and they sound very good also I thought a little warm. Have a pair of the FTLF1318P3BTL I am yet to listen to, I am waiting until I run in some new interconnects in my daily driver. Also love your profile picture, Dogs rule.

Small Green Computer sold me a pair of upgraded Finisar FTLF8519P3BTL transceivers that I haven't spent much time with yet.

My profile pic is of Nora the Explorer who is a rescue stray from Bossier Parish, La. She's our 6th rescue over the years and couldn't be more easy going, well adjusted, happy & grateful.

Thought of the Day: We humans can learn a lot from our 4 legged furry companions about living in the moment!
Are you residing in the Shreveport, Bossier City area? I have a 13 year old Yellow Lab mix Chelsea and she is a rescue. She is my best friend, do not tell my wife or kids :D

MacF

Jun 12, 2022
Baltimore
Yes, I like the OMD's very much. Recently corresponded with Alex at Uptone who says the new EtherRegen Gen II, which will hopefully be released sometime later this year, will be a nice upgrade in place of the clean side Optical Module Deluxe. Alex says the Gen II will have a few surprises and is very excited about its development.

Reactions: Pokey77

Republicoftexas69

kennyb123

Nov 30, 2012
Kirkland, WA
I quote what he wrote back to me.

”When there are noise on the Ethernet signal, the noise will be concert to optical as well. With optical you only create a galvanic isolation without filtering out noise.” Stop quote

if correct, which I have no reason not to believe, it means for me that there are two difference types of noise so both optic and Ethernet are needed,
The problem is with the word “noise”. This can have a broad meaning as it is essentially a disturbance that causes a signal to deviate. The upstream FMC and SFP can be caused to deviate because of noise. That deviation gets passed along.

I believe it’s only common mode noise that fiber can isolate. The problem though is that FMCs and SFPs can add common noise right back in at the receiver. They create noise themselves so one must take care to select FMCs and SFPs that don’t cause noise themselves or the point of using fiber in the first place is defeated.

Using an ethernet cable like the Shunyata Sigma after an FMC can be a good choice as it can filter common mode noise added by the FMC but one still needs to take care to ensure that the FMC isn’t adding other types of noise.

Powering an FMC with a battery eliminates noise from the mains but there is still ripple noise from the battery. I only mention that to point out that there is no such thing as perfect noise isolation. Every device or cable we use opens us up to more noise.

Using that Startech FMC downstream is basically an invitation to allow noise right back in. I can’t explain why it add noise that an FMC like the opticalModule isn’t adding but it’s easy to hear if the two are compared.

TRHH

Nov 14, 2022
Sonore opticalModule. I mentioned this in one of my replies and I think @audiobomber did as well. You will not be disappointed with one.

THX for the info, but I have tried Sonore opticalModule, but it did not add any extra value. And paying 500 EURO for something that don't makes it better, would not make sense.

Torben

MacF

Jun 12, 2022
Baltimore
Are you residing in the Shreveport, Bossier City area? I have a 13 year old Yellow Lab mix Chelsea and she is a rescue. She is my best friend, do not tell my wife or kids :D
No, we live in Northern Baltimore County. The excellent local rescue group TRU Rescue coordinated the effort that included numerous selfless, dedicated, kind hearted volunteers along Nora's 1500 mile journey to her forever home.

kennyb123

Nov 30, 2012
Kirkland, WA
THX for the info, but I have tried Sonore opticalModule, but it did not add any extra value. And paying 500 EURO for something that don't makes it better, would not make sense.

Torben
That suggests that your system’s noise floor isn’t low enough for you to be able to benefit from the OM. You will need to address the other side of your fiber span too. Despite me using an EtherRegen as my downstream FMC, my network didn’t come close to vanishing until I substituted the OM for the Startech FMC. (I judged this relative to what I heard with no network connected).

I realize that we are talking a lot of money here but I honestly think that’s what it takes to really have fiber to not be contributing obvious harm. One shouldn’t prioritize this unless their system’s noise floor is low enough to appreciate it.

I apologize if my arguments have come off as dismissive of the great work you’ve done. It’s just that I’m probably a few years and a few grand ahead of you in the network optimization game, so I wanted to share my learnings. I think eventually you might be thankful to have a clear path ahead to further improve things. I know there are many here even further ahead of me so that’s how I look at their recommendations. I was so impressed with what I heard after I added the last piece (the OM) that I decided to stop worrying about my network.

Reactions: Dancause

TRHH

Nov 14, 2022
"That suggests that your system’s noise floor isn’t low enough for you to be able to benefit from the OM."
- No, it just shows that Sonore OM, don't had any value
- It’s based on the now, very much legacy OM1 62.5/125 fibre standard (OM1 (62.5/125 µm multi-mode). They even recommend Gigabit SFP type multi-mode fiber.
- Off the shelf stuff, labelled with some marketing speak and charged 10 times compared to other good products
- It’s in-house made up terminology that to the uninitiated looks like it conforms to some kind of approved standard, when in fact it’s just some ordinary network gear that works together

"I’m probably a few years and a few grand ahead of you in the network optimization game"
- If you think so, that is fine with me. I can live with that.

I would be nice to get back to the topic of the thread.

Have a nice Week

Torben

Republicoftexas69

"That suggests that your system’s noise floor isn’t low enough for you to be able to benefit from the OM."
- No, it just shows that Sonore OM, don't had any value
- It’s based on the now, very much legacy OM1 62.5/125 fibre standard (OM1 (62.5/125 µm multi-mode). They even recommend Gigabit SFP type multi-mode fiber.
- Off the shelf stuff, labelled with some marketing speak and charged 10 times compared to other good products
- It’s in-house made up terminology that to the uninitiated looks like it conforms to some kind of approved standard, when in fact it’s just some ordinary network gear that works together

"I’m probably a few years and a few grand ahead of you in the network optimization game"
- If you think so, that is fine with me. I can live with that.

I would be nice to get back to the topic of the thread.

Have a nice Week

Torben
My thoughts and I am glad you made this point. Often people think the money spent equates quality. This is not always true. And the reasons we are here is to learn from other’s experiences.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gunnar and TRHH

kennyb123

Nov 30, 2012
Kirkland, WA
Often people think the money spent equates quality. This is not always true.
You are correct that is not always true. But more often than not, you do get what you pay for.

What I rarely see are any declarations of having achieved perfection by those who shell out more for better products. They usually get that there are no perfect solutions.

Republicoftexas69

You are correct that is not always true. But more often than not, you do get what you pay for.

What I rarely see are any declarations of having achieved perfection by those who shell out more for better products. They usually get that there are no perfect solutions.
Kenny, you are spot on in that one finds that point, is it the point of diminishing returns? I know I have reached the point of content and that throwing more money around will only net marginal gains. There is also the human variables of hearing ability, OCD....

kennyb123

Nov 30, 2012
Kirkland, WA
Kenny, you are spot on in that one finds that point, is it the point of diminishing returns? I know I have reached the point of content and that throwing more money around will only net marginal gains.
I wish I would be able to find a clear point of diminishing returns, but it’s been awfully elusive. If five years ago someone would have told me that I could hear differences amongst various SFPs, I would have laughed. Now I know better.

You have a healthy view as we each must find that point where we feel we have gone far enough. What’s not healthy though is imagining that we’ve somehow achieved perfection. Humility should always be guiding our pursuit as there is so much we can learn from others who so generously share their findings with us.

Those of us who had recommended the OM, did so because it improved our own enjoyment of our music. Our intention was only been to see others be able to gain in the same way.

I will honestly never forget my reaction when I finally added the OM. I literally said myself “I’m done now” with respect to making improvements and to my network. That Startech FMC had been adding a hard edge to the music that impacted my ability to enjoy the music.

For the most part I was done with my network after that except for adding a reference clock. That was primarily purchased for my DAC but to my astonishment it brought a significant improvement to my network via the connection to my ER. My network vanished further and the improvement could be heard even when playing music off the internal drive of my server.

Republicoftexas69

I wish I would be able to find a clear point of diminishing returns, but it’s been awfully elusive. If five years ago someone would have told me that I could hear differences amongst various SFPs, I would have laughed. Now I know better.

You have a healthy view as we each must find that point where we feel we have gone far enough. What’s not healthy though is imagining that we’ve somehow achieved perfection. Humility should always be guiding our pursuit as there is so much we can learn from others who so generously share their findings with us.

Those of us who had recommended the OM, did so because it improved our own enjoyment of our music. Our intention was only been to see others be able to gain in the same way.

I will honestly never forget my reaction when I finally added the OM. I literally said myself “I’m done now” with respect to making improvements and to my network. That Startech FMC had been adding a hard edge to the music that impacted my ability to enjoy the music.

For the most part I was done with my network after that except for adding a reference clock. That was primarily purchased for my DAC but to my astonishment it brought a significant improvement to my network via the connection to my ER. My network vanished further and the improvement could be heard even when playing music off the internal drive of my server.
Perfection is very elusive and, well subjective. As you stated the Startech was very hard edged and not enjoyed, but to another it maybe just their cup of tea. I know I will never find perfection however I am willing to subject myself to that elusive search. Just right now I am content, this may change in week, a month or a year. That is why I am here searching for knowledge and what is working for some.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gunnar

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing