VIP/Donor
Sep 7, 2016
Netherlands
Very nice car Ron! Enjoy it!

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Nice car ron , congrats ,( with such a climate ) ron doesn't need an audio room any more lol.
The beach looks stunning must be great to live

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
Before we get back to Ron’s room journey, I’ll just say Ferrari or no, my heart still lies with Alfa Romeo... and while only my fantasy car, the Competizione 8C is a real beauty.
View attachment 60931
I have some video i shot of a clients 8C wide open throttle in downtown Seattle. That exhaust note echoing off all the buildings is glorious!
Its in my top 5 if not top 3 all time favorite cars.
I will find it and post it, it falls itno the category of "Best music to test your audio system", its a symphony of 8 being reproduced by the biggest horn ever!

Its awesome to listen to through your system.

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
Thank you, Hi-FiGuy!

(After much thought I deliberately did not get an SL63 — which is a hot rod with a 577hp engine and a multi-clutch transmission and a stiff suspension — because I wanted the emphasis to be on comfort and smoothness.)

Oh, and I agree Ferrari uses “Spider.”
Ron the SL550 to me is a sleeper of a car, it will take care of most other vehicles on the street all while easier on the wallet at maintenance time, the car is no slouch!

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
I am partial to the 458 Speciale but I am not to proud to be seen it a 488 Pista!
May I ask what is your gripe with the 488 Pista?
It always gets extremely rave reviews...
Or do you just prefer the high revving sound of the Speciale over the Turbo sound of the Pista?

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
May I ask what is your gripe with the 488 Pista?
It always gets extremely rave reviews...
Or do you just prefer the high revving sound of the Speciale over the Turbo sound of the Pista?
No gripe with the Pista at all its an amazing angry car and kicks the Speciales ass all over the place tech/spec wise. I think the Speciale is just so much sexier elegantley agressive if you will.
Still adjusting to the note of the turbo motors and the Pista and the Portofino is a step in the right direction.

Reactions: christoph

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
Please name them :eek:
1. Enzo
2. F12 TDF
3. 599 GTO
4. 8C
5. 458 Speciale
6. Rolls Cullinan

Position 6 is reserved for rotation of seasonal favorites if you will. The Cullinan is an amazing vehicle and to me the ultimate statement piece.

My list is huge,also have a huge soft spot for Black Edition Benz specifically the CLK63 Black Series and the SL65 Black Series is a beast!

Go on you tube and check out the Apollo IE, you wont be disappointed!

Last edited:

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
Back to
Ron's Speaker, Turntable, Power and Room Treatment Upgrades and Occasional Vehicle Upgrades.
How is the casa coming along? Did you get your wood plank situation handled in a satisfactory manor? Any update pics?
Looking forward to seeing it completed.

Reactions: Lagonda

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Thank you, audioquattr and Andromeda!

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Hi-FiGuy,

Thank you for asking.

For some reason the contractor has not made progress on the proposed sample fix for the gaps (the cracked walnut panels). We have been focused the last two last weeks on renewing an overall permit for the project, as well as calling for three inspections of various pieces of the project.

Other than the listening room, the interior is well along. The main project now is to pour the concrete for the repaired rear deck and the front entry walkway.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
This new (for me) SL550 is a GT/luxo-cruiser dream. Tinka is ecstatic that I discovered that the seats have a massaging function.

This car has the upgraded B&O sound system. It has these slightly weird-looking (miniature MBL-looking) tweeter radiators on each side of the upper dashboard. The sound is not as good as in my friend’s new AMG S63 (which, unlike the SL, has the latest generation of Mercedes Benz tech), but this is the best stereo I have had in any car I have ever owned.

Reactions: Bobvin

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
This new (for me) SL550 is a GT/luxo-cruiser dream. Tinka is ecstatic that I discovered that the seats have a massaging function.

This car has the upgraded B&O sound system. It has these slightly weird-looking (miniature MBL-looking) tweeter radiators on each side of the upper dashboard. The sound is not as good as in my friend’s new AMG S63 (which, unlike the SL, has the latest generation of Mercedes Benz tech), but this is the best stereo I have had in any car I have ever owned.
Yes those tweeters are interesting looking. Does your buddies AMG S63 have the Burmester system in it, I am guessing it does or is Benz all B&O now?

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
Hi-FiGuy,

Thank you for asking.

For some reason the contractor has not made progress on the proposed sample fix for the gaps (the cracked walnut panels). We have been focused the last two last weeks on renewing an overall permit for the project, as well as calling for three inspections of various pieces of the project.

Other than the listening room, the interior is well along. The main project now is to pour the concrete for the repaired rear deck and the front entry walkway.
That is fantastic new to hear of forward progress. After all this you are going to have to hire a professional photographer and give it the justice it will no doubt deserve.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Yes those tweeters are interesting looking. Does your buddies AMG S63 have the Burmester system in it, I am guessing it does or is Benz all B&O now?

I believe he has a Burmester system.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
That is fantastic new to hear of forward progress. After all this you are going to have to hire a professional photographer and give it the justice it will no doubt deserve.

Before we move in we do plan to photograph the joint.

Reactions: christoph

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
Wait, I thought Wookie is a 21 year old female audiophile who took offense to being called a gentleman. Is DaveyF back on WBF?
Yes he had a sex change operation:eek:
Same attitude though.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Photos of the listening space:

LEFT / FRONT SIDE (opening to kitchen in middle of left side wall)
B258B85F-5BB9-47CD-844C-1494755B1B49.png

RIGHT FRONT SIDE
5500B84C-EF07-45DB-B30F-C0AFFE591C37.png

RIGHT SIDE (opening to equipment room toward rear of right side wall)
D9A3AD29-9426-48C6-AF2D-1E8D19615A87.jpeg

I am going to cover the upper left wall/ceiling soffit with drywall.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Ron; close enough to feel it yet?

Thank you for asking!

Unfortunately, no. This problem of the heat contracting the walnut planks and causing vertical cracks everywhere is delaying the completion of the listening room by months.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing