Then why not moving to REW?

Because Spectrum Analyzer RTA is easy and fun and it's all I need. And it's all we need on the frequency curve thread to have apples-to-apples curve comparisons.

Reactions: wil
I cannot help but wonder whether this path might not have proven a little less strewn with angst and introspection … there being such a sense of calm tranquility eminating from the writing regarding this system within the OP.

Definitely not, TheMoon. The glaring omission from my report is about vocals, which is my personal primary musical genre interest.

I played Eva Cassidy tonight, and I am very happy with how she sounded. On vocals planars simply work for me in a way that nothing else does.

Definitely not, TheMoon. The glaring omission from my report is about vocals, which is my personal primary musical genre interest.

I played Eva Cassidy tonight, and I am very happy with how she sounded. On vocals planars simply work for me in a way that nothing else does.
I can certainly appreciate that consideration having traversed my way through several planars over the years culminating in ML CLX Anniversaries.

Our hearing perception for me is very complex
if I turn off woofers the timbre is now off but not all music is effected always. if I turn off the tweeters leaving the mids and woofers it seems blurry
if I just play the tweeters alone it seems to be such little energy but if they are turned off all seems to go badly.
going back to tow in it changes perspective quickly
and some speakers I feel don’t warrant it at all.
no matter what speaker we use for playback only a line source has an acoustic radiation pattern near real players on a stage to me horns get close to me as well.
I think a clean slate is where we start but a plan to change is needed and room sweeps are needed. But to understand them is way above my skill and seeing and hearing are not the same.
I had my mids playing too low in freq to me it was great. A knowing person on the phone told me to raise the cross over point !! I did and wow it changed the perspective big time a room sweep does not show this in most cases.
big speakers in a large room with multiple towers per channel is a needed tool but god help the unskilled owner in making them sound well.
looks collide with correct sound and this makes things seem good but sound can be difficult to fix as some genre is great. Then the others off we tend to blame the track but I wonder how much bad music was made ??

Because Spectrum Analyzer RTA is easy and fun and it's all I need. And it's all we need on the frequency curve thread to have apples-to-apples curve comparisons.

If all you want is have some fun in your thread, perfect. But sorry, trying to use your semantics, I would say that in this thread you are comparing fresh apples with frozen and cooked apples.

AT least across my headphones(HD 800S} I don't hear any defects. Nice and smooth. No "big speaker sound.'

Reactions: Johan K
AT least across my headphones(HD 800S} I don't hear any defects. Nice and smooth. No "big speaker sound.'

It is a fair criticism of planar speakers that sometimes they oversize sonic images. I cannot tell anything about that from a video.

But what I am hearing in the room is no longer bright or edgy.

I have a sense of depth from this system that I did not have with the prior Prodigy system.

It is a fair criticism of planar speakers that sometimes they oversize sonic images. I cannot tell anything about that from a video.

I have a sense of depth from this system that I did not have with the prior Prodigy system.
Ron,

Now at my work, even with my apple airpods - it sounds really good. I can imagine you have the time of your life at your place. Wish I could join you ;) .

All the best

Johan

A true line source does a better job of avoiding the big speaker sound. IME.

Maybe a bit lean sounding in the lower mids? Some sibilance but that could be the recording too. Perhaps play something with some bass (acoustic bass) so that the lower mids/upper bass can be more clearly heard to see the balance?

I made this comment some ten years ago of a ten foot Elvis in my nyc room. all speakers grow as they play louder but to me a line of type places too far apart increases this. I’m not there and this a phone video but seems off
play some tapes and shoot a video if this tape well you may have more to do lol.
I commend you posting videos I personally love them from all.

I commend you posting videos I personally love them from all.

Thanks, but please do not assume that me posting videos means or implies that I take any less of a dim view of the value or utility of digitally recorded videos of high-end audio systems. I am posting the videos only because I know Kedar and you and others like them.

It happened to be the case that I recorded on iPhone this very same Eva Cassidy recording and song at a friend's house, so it was actually fun (and educational) for me to compare those videos.

I will concede that when the same exact recording is played in the same format and the same pressing on two familiar systems there can be value in comparing the videos.

Last edited:
Reactions: bonzo75 and Johan K
These are old Maggie’s In a large room how does this compare ?

Objectively, the sound of the Magnepan 1.6s is rolled off in the highs. The 1.6 does not use the legendary real Magnepan ribbon driver used in the upper level Magnepan speakers. And I say that as somebody who is quite content with a rolled off sound. (Edginess and brightness are total deal-killers for me.)

Subjectively, Magnepan 1.6s sound richer, if smaller, on piano, for example. They also tend to suppress sibilance. (I do not like sibilance to be emphasized.) But, short of big horn speakers, I think (big) Magnepans reproduce piano more convincingly than anything else.

Intellectually, I know the subjectively perceived (if not observed on the chart) extended frequency response of the Pendragons is "correct." They have air motion tweeters which take over at 18kHz. These are "big boy" speakers. I think there is nothing wrong with me respecting that they are doing what they were designed to do.

But I believe that the music is in the midrange (and upper bass), so I just don't have a problem with a rolled off sound, whether from contemporary speakers or from vintage speakers. I actually think a rolled off sound sometimes makes it easier for me to suspend disbelief.

Last edited:
Maybe a bit lean sounding in the lower mids?

Maybe. I think maybe the 65Hz room boom is clouding or hiding the lower midrange?

Last edited:
Reactions: Johan K
Objectively, the sound of the Magnepan 1.6s is rolled off in the highs. The 1.6 does not use the legendary real Magnepan ribbon driver used in the upper level Magnepan speakers. And I say that as somebody who is quite content with a rolled off sound. (Edginess and brightness are total deal-killers for me.)...

...But I believe that the music is in the midrange (and upper bass), so I just don't have a problem with a rolled off sound, whether from contemporary speakers or from vintage speakers. I actually think a rolled off sound sometimes makes it easier for me to suspend disbelief.
When we were first getting into audio, we were looking at bookshelves simply due to budget...and used to talk about error of omission vs error of commission. You are preferring rolled off (omission) than edgy (commission). I get that and actually concur personally as a matter of taste.

Maybe a bit lean sounding in the lower mids? Some sibilance but that could be the recording too. Perhaps play something with some bass (acoustic bass) so that the lower mids/upper bass can be more clearly heard to see the balance?
Ron - Are you able to play the same tape jazz piece you played when recording the older Maggie's? That would allow you to have a 'like for like' comparison for those who heard (and like me thoroughly enjoyed) the Maggie jazz tape performance.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing