if you mean you don't know the name of the cut you can download an app that will tell you.

I forgot that I had Shazam.

• Haha
Reactions: christoph
I am very happy with what they did, and they did everything I expected them to do. We did not perform the final stage tower experimentation and repositioning project of moving the towers a 1/4" here, a 1/2" there to smooth out in-room frequency response.

But, as you have advised me, the system was not at all broken in. In fact, at that point, the system had been uncrated for only a few days, still getting accustomed merely to breathing American air. I think that critical stage of 1/4" here, a 1/2" there tower repositioning and fine-tuning does not even make sense to undergo until the system is fully broken in.
I’m talking about actually setting up the speakers, not 1/2” here and there. I agree that can’t really start for 150+ hours.

Reactions: sbnx
I’m talking about actually setting up the speakers

Rune commissioned Joe Cali to take responsibility for the uncrating and set-up of the speakers. Joe's set-up colleagues, Kenny and Jesus, were excellent: very careful, detail-oriented and unhurried.

They probably would've preferred it if I had left and come back when they were done, but I wanted to screw in the tops and the bottoms of the towers.

Last edited:
Rune commissioned Joe Cali to take responsibility for the uncrating and set-up of the speakers. Joe's set-up colleagues, Kenny and Jesus, were excellent: very careful, detail-oriented and unhurried.

They probably would've preferred it if I had left and come back when they were done, but I wanted to screw in the tops and the bottoms of the towers.
Ron, congrats on getting your system up and running. Joe Cali is an icon on the West Coast having run Christopher Hansen in the'80s between acting gigs and Cello Music Systems LA operations for Mark Levinson. Ive known Joe for nearly 40 years. He's a top notch set up guy.

Reactions: XV-1
Reactions: Al M. and Tim Link
Ron, congrats on getting your system up and running. Joe Cali is an icon on the West Coast having run Christopher Hansen in the'80s between acting gigs and Cello Music Systems LA operations for Mark Levinson. Ive known Joe for nearly 40 years. He's a top notch set up guy.

Thank you very much! Yes, Joe is fantastic!

That's what I use. I carry it with me to the hi-fi show. That way I don't have to bug the moderator.
Same here.
Excellent tool :cool:

That is like Santa showing up and your parents expecting you to go up to bed. Not going to happen.

Most 4 box speakers wind up with the woofer towers in an aesthetically pleasing stereo configuration Despite the fact the optimum posiyio for the tweeter/ midrange and woofers is rarely the same.

Reactions: Alrainbow
I am so not attuned to jazz, I couldn't find the excerpt I recorded on the Magnepans. This might be close.

Wow! That sounds crazy good for an in-room recording of speakers.

Reactions: Tim Link
well yes In part ron but your system allows this to show its potential. o get its two sets of speakers but all behind them is the same
congrats

Thank you!

Thank you, gentlemen!

That is encouraging, as I am only three weeks in, and I think the system is at about:

120 hours on amps and pre-amp

100 hours on the speakers and speaker cables

20 hours on Io

5 hours on Studer

to come:

ribbon panel toe-in experimentation

woofer tower experimentation and positioning

acoustic treatment experimentation

60Hz room boom to shave down

minor ground hums and noises to fox-hunt

interconnect cable evaluations

The VTL Siegfried II amplifier uses one 12AT7 and two 12BH7s.

Can ECC81, ECC801, ECC801S replace 12AT7?

Can 6SN7 can replace 12BH7?

Last edited:
If so, I have a lot of tube swapping experimentation ahead of me! o_O

A531BA9A-D627-4279-A322-320610200DD6.jpeg

B407F39F-84AB-477E-89E9-E962F952A579.jpeg

F09FD64B-A6DC-48D5-9F3C-11CC69A53542.jpeg

463F6FEF-C9DB-4B9E-B20C-D448604BB197.jpeg

Reactions: Fred Crane
Which of these replacements will give me greater richness and tonal density in the 100Hz to 1000Hz range?

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing