Robert Harley votes Magico Q-7 product of the year

JV's comments on the Q7s at CES 2013:

"But, as I’ve heard it at MOC and CES, it seems more of an “as you like it” kind of speaker than a fidelity to sources or absolute sound one. "
I happened to be at Munich show in Magico room when Harley and Valin came to visit. Demo organized by German importer was far from optimum: too loud and source material selected to show bass capabilities of the speaker, not its unique ability to convey micro information and richness of tones. Valin sat completely off axis, on the back of a packed room - far from the optimal listening position. He sat there maybe 6min and then left for the room next door to listen to the S5 for 1hr. He didn't ask to listen to his own CDs with the Q7 (I did that and could build a much better opinion on these speakers strengths).
I find it ridiculous that he dares giving an expert opinion based on one listening session at the crappy room Magico had at CES last year (I was there also), and on 6 min in the wrong listening spot with wrong material. He is probably still pissed that Harley didn't let him review the Q7, so he cannot admit the Q7 are head and shoulder above the Q3 or Q5 ;-)

I suspect that JV did not review the Q7s because they would not fit up his stairs :) They are very deep and very very heavy.

Or Harley used his authority to cherry pick the review sample.

One solid block at 750lbs. At least with Wilson Alexandria, the modular design makes for the bass cabinet being somewhat manageable for moving at 340-400 lbs.

Put 750 lbs on spikes and what's that on a per sq inch basis pressure wise? At what weight do the typical wooden floor joists break? At some point, i guess someone's going to find out, LOL.

The Q7 isn't spiked. It uses a "pod" like thing that I'm assuming are the Magico Q Pods.

alexandre

Or Harley used his authority to cherry pick the review sample.

Do you really think that Alon sends out a speaker of the caliber of the Q7 without having electrically matched all the components inside the speaker as well as having listened to the final product?

Do you really think that Alon sends out a speaker of the caliber of the Q7 without having electrically matched all the components inside the speaker as well as having listened to the final product?

I am trying to understand what you are trying to say here. please correct me if I am wrong. What one hears at CES fully does justice to a gear? That was the best one could hear from the Q7?

I am sure Alon puts his best foot forward. I was 'referring to Harleys' ability to assign products to reviewers. He gets first choice.

I am sure Alon puts his best foot forward. I was 'referring to Harleys' ability to assign products to reviewers. He gets first choice.

OK well usually cherry pick means to me that the manufacturer sent a specially selected unit to the reviewer. You may remember a case of that happening in the early days of TAS where HP found his initials on the product :) That may have also been the case with cartridges way back when too.

Last edited:
One of the most remarkable comments I have ever read about the Q7s came recently from Jon Valin's 2013 CES review for TAS. I'm paraphrasing, but Valin, who never met a Magico speaker he didn't like, made no bones about the fact that much to his curiousity, the Q7 doesn't seem to have the "magical" (no pun intended) "reach out and touch someone" midrange that he thinks characterizes most of the other speakers in the Magico product line. Something tells me he knows Alon Wolf will be hiring a hit man once he reads Valin's CES review, so this is a comment to be reckoned with seriously. I have only heard the Q7's under show conditions twice and was non-plussed, but I would love to hear them under great conditions where they can purportedly do their thing. Still, Valin's comments are interesting. Anybody care to comment?

Last edited:
i Heard them with tubes , and it was magico s indeed exxelent midrange that shone, which then expanded through the whole spectrum ,best magico ive heard , exxeptionally clean coherent top to bottom .
It doubt it has the raw bass impact of the wilson maxx 2 for example which was a bit to much , magico is mostly a bit friendly in the bass
Reviewers .... :confused:: :D

Last edited:
I find that one of the most remarkable comments I have ever read about the Q7s came recently from Jon Valin's 2013 CES review for TAS. I'm paraphrasing, but Valin, who never met a Magico speaker he didn't like, made no bones about the fact that much to his curiousity, the Q7 doesn't seem to have the "magical" (no pun intended) "reach out and touch someone" midrange that he thinks characterizes most of the other speakers in the Magico product line. Something tells me he knows Alon Wolf will be hiring a hit man once he reads Valin's CES review, so this is a comment to be reckoned with seriously. I have only heard the Q7's under show conditions twice and was non-plussed, but I would love to hear them under great conditions where they can purportedly do their thing. Still, Valin's comments are interesting. Anybody care to comment?

Yes, after I read Valin's report on Magico speakers, I went and listened to them at Music Lovers in Berkeley, Ca. I cancelled my subscription the next day.

You can't judge a product at trade shows. Valin failed to put his words in proper context. He should know better.

I find that one of the most remarkable comments I have ever read about the Q7s came recently from Jon Valin's 2013 CES review for TAS. I'm paraphrasing, but Valin, who never met a Magico speaker he didn't like, ...."

You missed the obvious; the Q7 was given to RH, not JV… These guys are ego central, JV is not going to sit quietly and let RH get ahead. JV did, in fact, fail to “like” some Magico speakers, he only likes the one he got to review.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing