Robert Harley votes Magico Q-7 product of the year

Could you expound on this a bit more ....

Yes, why of course. I and went to the local Magico dealer, to listen. No romance, no body, no soul. I was perplexed as to why the great write-up. Analytical? Yes, dry? Yes. Lacking in human soul? Yes.

Yes, after I read Valin's report on Magico speakers, I went and listened to them at Music Lovers in Berkeley, Ca. I cancelled my subscription the next day.

Jim

I thought that Jae and Hugh lost their Magico dealership when I was there last

Jeff, I'd be curious on your take since you are quite familiar with Magico's. Did you hear the Alexia's at the show?

@Jeff,

I dont think it was the Q7 , it must have been another model reviewed by JV, anyway i do believe Jim's point may have been nothing more than to point out how FOS , JV , RH and TAS really are ...:)

After reading RH's CES report on the Airforce one TT , i would tend to agree .. :)

Hi

Brands like Magico, Rockport, a re-surging Genesis, Vivid and some others have brought to the top of the High End Speakers sector increased competition. The effects have been clear at least to me. Yet some audiophiles , childishly, seem to be bothered by that. Some have no financial interest whatsoever with any of the companies. It would however be naive to think that none have financial interest, some do although it is not necessarily stated or disclosed.

Politics are everywhere. The High End is no stranger to it. I don't own Magico, I have no vested interest in Magico but I do find it interesting how it seems to attract the ire of some High End quarters. I can understand someone not liking a given gear but rarely have I seen so much intent to cast somuch negative on a brand: They must be doing something good :)

I don't mean to disrespect but I don't know what to make of a report of a reproduction with "no Human Soul", "No Romanticism". A gear plays music that's all. The soul belongs to human and you make of its reproduction what you want but to assign such emotions to a mechanical item seems to me the epitome of anthropomorphism.

I have only heard three speakers in the Magico lineup:
The Mini and Mini II great mini-monitors. They were very good but lacking in the heft that to me helps reproduce the illusion of music rather than just "describing" it. IMHO they were too expensive for what they did.
The Q3 one of the best speakers I have heard and one can dispense from the usual condescending "in its price range". With proper subwoofing, it is a serious competition to speakers costing several times its MSRP, without subwoofers it is already very, very good.

Friends with audiophiles tastes different from my own, have found the Q5 to be one of the best speakers they have heard and some have acquired it. I will have an audition soon of a Q5. I also will try to schedule an audition of the Q7 on my coming trip to the Northeast US. I hope, it will give me a clear idea of its worth or lack thereof.

I am no fan of RH and JV but I do give credence to some reviewers, REG from TAS and Jeff Fritz from Soundstage come to mind. As for the characterization of reviewers in the terms I have seen here. I am sure we can and should elevate the level and ways of expressing our disagreements.

I dont know , a Q series magico on dry solid state , would not be something to live with i reckon for me , i think its partly because they get accolades as best audio product ever , which i think is certainly exxagerated , its one of the top brands , no more than that in my opinion

@Jeff,

I dont think it was the Q7 , it must have been another model reviewed by JV, anyway i do believe Jim's point may have been nothing more than to point out how FOS , JV , RH and TAS really are ...:)

After reading RH's CES report on the Airforce one TT , i would tend to agree .. :)

Yes, it was not the Q7's, but my thinking is Magico going to change their "house" sound completely? As an example, my lowly $27K Venture CR-8 Signatures (no longer made) reveal the sound of their $140K speakers. So, I assumed Magico by virture of their Q1 or S1, whatever at the time of audition did likewise. I guess they tremendously improved by most accounts here.

Yes, it was not the Q7's, but my thinking is Magico going to change their "house" sound completely? As an example, my lowly $27K Venture CR-8 Signatures (no longer made) reveal the sound of their $140K speakers. So, I assumed Magico by virture of their Q1 or S1, whatever at the time of audition did likewise. I guess they tremendously improved by most accounts here.

What Magico did you hear at Music Lovers since the Harley review was published? You canceled your TAS subscription because of that audition so I would think you'd remember the system in some detail. At least the speaker you heard??

what magico did you hear at music lovers since the harley review was published? You canceled your tas subscription because of that audition so i would think you'd remember the system in some detail. At least the speaker you heard??

. :cool:

Frantz,

I never understood the "no soul" B.S. that some people insist to associate with some brands, Magico most recently... The Q3 is, by a mile, the most truthful, and why not, "soulful" speaker I've heard.
They're incredibly realistic, with enough bass heft to fill my largish room.
It puzzles me how people cannot perceive that extreme level of precision and detailing that the speakers bring to music, and perhaps only a hidden interest could explain such reticence. Now, personal preference is something else entirely...

alexandre

Last edited by a moderator:
@Jeff,

Before more of the ladies get too wadded up on this and for the record, FOS = factually off Statement ...:)

Hi

Brands like Magico, Rockport, a re-surging Genesis, Vivid and some others have brought to the top of the High End Speakers sector increased competition. The effects have been clear at least to me. Yet some audiophiles , childishly, seem to be bothered by that. Some have no financial interest whatsoever with any of the companies. It would however be naive to think that none have financial interest, some do although it is not necessarily stated or disclosed.

Politics are everywhere. The High End is no stranger to it. I don't own Magico, I have no vested interest in Magico but I do find it interesting how it seems to attract the ire of some High End quarters. I can understand someone not liking a given gear but rarely have I seen so much intent to cast somuch negative on a brand: They must be doing something good :)

I don't mean to disrespect but I don't know what to make of a report of a reproduction with "no Human Soul", "No Romanticism". A gear plays music that's all. The soul belongs to human and you make of its reproduction what you want but to assign such emotions to a mechanical item seems to me the epitome of anthropomorphism.

I have only heard three speakers in the Magico lineup:
The Mini and Mini II great mini-monitors. They were very good but lacking in the heft that to me helps reproduce the illusion of music rather than just "describing" it. IMHO they were too expensive for what they did.
The Q3 one of the best speakers I have heard and one can dispense from the usual condescending "in its price range". With proper subwoofing, it is a serious competition to speakers costing several times its MSRP, without subwoofers it is already very, very good.

Friends with audiophiles tastes different from my own, have found the Q5 to be one of the best speakers they have heard and some have acquired it. I will have an audition soon of a Q5. I also will try to schedule an audition of the Q7 on my coming trip to the Northeast US. I hope, it will give me a clear idea of its worth or lack thereof.

I am no fan of RH and JV but I do give credence to some reviewers, REG from TAS and Jeff Fritz from Soundstage come to mind. As for the characterization of reviewers in the terms I have seen here. I am sure we can and should elevate the level and ways of expressing our disagreements.

+1, I cannot agree more.
It has also always surprised me how Magico can attract so much ire.... in particular from some Wilson lovers. I personally admire the products of the company. One thing I believe is particular with Magico speakers is their level of transparency to the source - in that sense, what you hear depends much more on upstream components you combine them with. I agree for example that Magico with Spectral sounds dry.... but feed them with a Vitus for example, this is pure magic!

Is that because of over damped bass drivers , in which case they will sound thin on SS stuff, then how neutral are they ...?

I'm also fully aware of audiophiles who are allergic to bass and have never heard real bass, bass drums , tympani , etc and have a preference for an unnaturally fast decay ..

Now I'm all for liking what you like , buying what you like , praising what you like , its when you declare best in the world is when most reach for the branding Iron ...:)

Just saying .....

Brings me to the name of the magazine , " Absolute sound " , i dont know in which context i have to understand this ,kinda like what they declare best is the absolute sound ????
The audiophile gold standard ;)
Very funny :D if so i would never buy such a magazine as it automatically closes itself of for other opinions

Last edited:
Is that because of over damped bass drivers , in which case they will sound thin on SS stuff, then how neutral are they ...?

I'm also fully aware of audiophiles who are allergic to bass and have never heard real bass, bass drums , tympani , etc and have a preference for an unnaturally fast decay ..

Now I'm all for liking what you like , buying what you like , praising what you like , its when you declare best in the world is when most reach for the branding Iron ...:)

Just saying .....

Vitus is a solid state amp... they are plenty of ss amps which work well with Magico speakers: Hegel, Dartzeel, Devialet...

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing