Robert Harley votes Magico Q-7 product of the year

I never understood the "no soul" B.S. that some people insist to associate with some brands, Magico most recently... The Q3 is, by a mile, the most truthful, and why not, "soulful" speaker I've heard.
They're incredibly realistic, with enough bass heft to fill my largish room.
It puzzles me how people cannot perceive that extreme level of precision and detailing that the speakers bring to music, and perhaps only a hidden interest could explain such reticence. Now, personal preference is something else entirely...

alexandre

Alex,

I'm sure you are correct in "your" evaluation , as Jim is in his and since BS floats you only need to check the surface...

Magico best sound at the show , how good is the AIRFORCE ONE TT, i cant tell ...:)

From a self proclaimed GURU who wrote a book on the subject ......LMAO. :)

Play it again Charley ...!

Last edited by a moderator:
Vitus is a solid state amp... they are plenty of ss amps which work well with Magico speakers: Hegel, Dartzeel, Devialet...

Stereo,

what i had implied was when speakers sound thin on SS AMPS its usually from an over damped situation , from your explanation you are saying its a spectral combination issue with Magico, which you do not like .... ?

(...) Politics are everywhere. The High End is no stranger to it. I don't own Magico, I have no vested interest in Magico but I do find it interesting how it seems to attract the ire of some High End quarters. I can understand someone not liking a given gear but rarely have I seen so much intent to cast somuch negative on a brand: They must be doing something good :) (...)

Frantz,

You have a very moralist speech, I can agree on most things you write. But IMHO you are being victim of your admiration for Magico. For every negative rant on Magico we can count at less five similar or even more violent on Wilson Audio. It is part of the high-end!

I also admire Magico, and consider them great speakers. I have no doubts that I could build a great system around the Q7 if I was offered a pair. But I would ask for the tri-wired version:)

Considering reviewers, I appreciate mostly when they refer to the positive aspects of products. Unhappily, a few of them can not hide their dark side and their hate towards certain brands or people. If I would take most of the negatives seriously I would not read them anymore, or would start posting against them when they criticize my preferred products ...

Last edited:
Alex,

I'm sure you are correct in "your" evaluation , as Jim is in his and since BS floats you only need to check the surface...

Magico best sound at the show , how good is the AIRFORCE ONE TT, i cant tell ...:)

From a self proclaimed GURU who wrote a book on the subject ......LMAO. :)

Play it again Charley ...!

I wasn't there, so I can't comment whether the "best of show" thing was fair or not... Were you there?
And what does all that have to do with the intrinsic qualities of the product?

Alexandre

No i was not present , report from others said it had issues , some described it the same as Jim, some thought Harley , well was ...err ! :)

Unfortunately its audio , concensus is difficult to impossible, ironic to see Ire flying in all directions over negative comments ...

anyway my other point ! :)

My point was RH , gave it best of show and then Claimed to not have an opinion on the AIRFORCE1 TT ....

Selective reasoning ......? :)

Last edited:
To some Magico lovers:chill the heck out. I meerly stated MY OPINION on Magico mini monitors several years ago, and was joking about my cancelled TAS subscribtion. You need to lighten up.However, I will take Venture speakers any day of the week. They have "soul" (I kid, I kid;))

One of the most remarkable comments I have ever read about the Q7s came recently from Jon Valin's 2013 CES review for TAS. I'm paraphrasing, but Valin, who never met a Magico speaker he didn't like, made no bones about the fact that much to his curiousity, the Q7 doesn't seem to have the "magical" (no pun intended) "reach out and touch someone" midrange that he thinks characterizes most of the other speakers in the Magico product line. Something tells me he knows Alon Wolf will be hiring a hit man once he reads Valin's CES review, so this is a comment to be reckoned with seriously. I have only heard the Q7's under show conditions twice and was non-plussed, but I would love to hear them under great conditions where they can purportedly do their thing. Still, Valin's comments are interesting. Anybody care to comment?

JV has a new love:

"In my listening room, at the moment, I have, in the $140k Raidho C4.1, the most realistic full-range speaker system I (or any of my listening panel) have ever heard."

See:

http://www.theabsolutesound.com/art...wsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_source=email-65

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing