Recommendations for music with Cello and Barogue?

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I love the sound of the cello and I also really like barogue, but I'm somewhat ignorant of things classical, so I need your help.

I'd like to find one or two albums (preferably vinyl) that would give me a good starting point, should I wish to continue and expand.

As usual, your expert advice is always appreciated, so thank you in advance for any and all recommendations.

Reactions: ctydwn

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
That's one album I've heard mention of more than once! Obviously this is a winner! Thank you!:D

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
That's one album I've heard mention of more than once! Obviously this is a winner! Thank you!:D

The Starker was reissued by Speakers Corner or else one can get it on the original Mercury release. It is however among the pricier Mercs.

Another sleeper that I recommend is:

http://www.themusic.com/search.cfm?artist=Gary%20Karr%20

There are also recordings by DuPre and Tortelier on EMI that are very nice. I'd have to search thru my collection for some specific recordings.

Wardsweb

May 8, 2010
San Antonio, TX
wardswebllc.com

Yo-Yo MA Simply Barogue II

Bach Cello Suites

Reactions: muski

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
Keep 'em coming. This is great for a classical newb like me :)

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Indeed....keep 'em coming! I went to look for the Janos Starker vinyl, but couldn't find it, although he had several others including a boxset of Bach/Starker. This dealer had quite a bit of stuff, including a lot of Yo Yo Ma. Will have to try him again soon!

Vincent Kars

WBF Technical Expert: Computer Audio
Jul 1, 2010
There are 2 ways to play baroque music.
One is the traditional way. The big symphony orchestras playing Bach.
They do so with modern instruments and modern playing techniques.
They make Bach or Beethoven sound as if they were nephews of Wagner.
So a romantic interpretation of pre-romantic music.

In the 70’s a movement started called ‘authentic performance’.
Using old instruments (or replicas), the playing techniques of that time (no vibrato) and small settings. Often higher tempi too.
This result in a leaner and far more transparent sound.

The godfathers of this authentic movement are Gustav Leonhardt and Nikolaus Harnoncourt.

I recommend the Brandenburger Concerto’s by Ton Koopman.
A very fine cellist is Anner Bylsma.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB

FrantzM

Apr 20, 2010
John

No conversation about Cello can be conduced without mentioning Jacqueline Dupre. Many consider her the finest of the 20th century and likely one of the best ever... She died at a very early age (42 I believe) and by the ripe age of 28 could no longer perform because of crippling arthritis. There are some LP of her performance out there, I had a few EMI myself but if it is the music you crave you will find almost ALL her work on CD.
I should also mention Miroslav Rostropovitch. A fine, very fine cellist, precise and smooth, ultimately much less lyrical than Dupre and I would say that he was a practician of the Cello not a lover of the instrument as Dupre was ...
Here some from both:

Elgar: Cello Concerto; Bach: Cello Suites, #1 & #2

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51yP8U2UrLL._SS400_.jpg

This set has about 15 CD and is to me a must for anyone who loves the Cello. Of course you will find her rendition of The Elgar Cello concerto which by all account inckuding that of Elgar himself is "defintive".. prepare yourself for Kleenex tissues and goosebumps .. This is the kind of msic one listen alone or with really close and understanding friends ... Her rendition is that good

Jacqueline Du Pré - The Complete EMI Recordings [Box Set]

Very, very good also.

Bach: Cello Suites Nos. 1-6

Bach: Suites for Solo Cello; Sonatas in G & D Major
Ok for that one (which I happen to have) you may have to fish quite a bit ... rather expensive but you can find it ... I did a few years ago and the price wasn't so royal.

There is alot more for these will give you a wiff of how good these people were... A bit if trivia Yo-Yo Ma's Stradivarius is Jacqueline Dupre's very own Cello, a gift from her grandmother or godmother ... He is a very good cellist, he is in my opinion not at the level of Dupre or Rostropovitch, few ever were...

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
John

No conversation about Cello can be conduced without mentioning Jacqueline Dupre. Many consider her the finest of the 20th century and likely one of the best ever... She died at a very early age (42 I believe) and by the ripe age of 28 could no longer perform because of crippling arthritis. There are some LP of her performance out there, I had a few EMI myself but if it is the music you crave you will find almost ALL her work on CD.
I should also mention Miroslav Rostropovitch. A fine, very fine cellist, precise and smooth, ultimately much less lyrical than Dupre and I would say that he was a practician of the Cello not a lover of the instrument as Dupre was ...
Here some from both:

Elgar: Cello Concerto; Bach: Cello Suites, #1 & #2

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51yP8U2UrLL._SS400_.jpg

This set has about 15 CD and is to me a must for anyone who loves the Cello. Of course you will find her rendition of The Elgar Cello concerto which by all account inckuding that of Elgar himself is "defintive".. prepare yourself for Kleenex tissues and goosebumps .. This is the kind of msic one listen alone or with really close and understanding friends ... Her rendition is that good

Jacqueline Du Pré - The Complete EMI Recordings [Box Set]

Very, very good also.

Bach: Cello Suites Nos. 1-6

Bach: Suites for Solo Cello; Sonatas in G & D Major
Ok for that one (which I happen to have) you may have to fish quite a bit ... rather expensive but you can find it ... I did a few years ago and the price wasn't so royal.

There is alot more for these will give you a wiff of how good these people were... A bit if trivia Yo-Yo Ma's Stradivarius is Jacqueline Dupre's very own Cello, a gift from her grandmother or godmother ... He is a very good cellist, he is in my opinion not at the level of Dupre or Rostropovitch, few ever were...

Ahem Frantz....did we forget about Pablo Casals? :)

FrantzM

Apr 20, 2010
Ahem Frantz....did we forget about Pablo Casals? :)

ooooooooooooooops ...:eek: :eek: :eek:
Will be spinning tonight:

Bach: Cello Suites

in my defense however, Rostropovitch is considered by many to be the superior of Caslas however heretic this might sound and Dupre, well is considered to have been at a slightly superior level especially in more modern music where her lyricism and her passionate playing would sustain or elevate the score.. her Elgar comes to mind and so does her Saint Saens.. In comparison Rostropovitch is good but somewhat restrained and some would say too composed ... Casals seems to me in the third position compared to those 2.. As for the first .. I tend to think that Dupre is that, the best cellist of the 20th century, maybe one of the best ever

Reactions: muski

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
i too like Cello and baroque. In general, the artists i enjoy are: Bach, CPE Bach (his son), Handel...for Handel, Harmonia Mundi is the label and Egarr is one of the artists whose interpretations i particularly enjoy...then Vivaldi, Telemann, Corelli...Amazon is a great place to get 'snips' of each track to listen to...just do a search for each artist plus 'cello' and i am sure you will find PLENTY.

Florigelium does a Bolivian Baroque series which is great and exceptionally well recorded...a series of 3 CDs...i prefer the first but own all 3...note i dont think they use much cello but great baroque. I also find Haydn is nice though it is clearly later-on, past the Baroque era, i believe...but not as evolved as the Beethoven era which came even later.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
BTW, i own most of the CDs listed here...all are good...particularly the rare SACD Starker Cello suites...which is my favorite (i own du pre, rostropovich, fournier, and one other)

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
ooooooooooooooops ...:eek: :eek: :eek:
Will be spinning tonight:

Bach: Cello Suites

in my defense however, Rostropovitch is considered by many to be the superior of Caslas however heretic this might sound and Dupre, well is considered to have been at a slightly superior level especially in more modern music where her lyricism and her passionate playing would sustain or elevate the score.. her Elgar comes to mind and so does her Saint Saens.. In comparison Rostropovitch is good but somewhat restrained and some would say too composed ... Casals seems to me in the third position compared to those 2.. As for the first .. I tend to think that Dupre is that, the best cellist of the 20th century, maybe one of the best ever

Another artist that is underrated is Gary Karr :)

RBFC

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.fightingconcepts.com
Karr' Albinoni Adagio has been famous in "audiophile recording" circles for a few decades. Karr plays double bass, FWIW, not cello. The King Super Analogue LP was very good, and the gold CD is also very good.

Lee

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Karr' Albinoni Adagio has been famous in "audiophile recording" circles for a few decades. Karr plays double bass, FWIW, not cello. The King Super Analogue LP was very good, and the gold CD is also very good.

Lee

Yes you're right. My brain is still suffering from food coma :(

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing