Recommendations for music with Cello and Barogue?

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Glad to. The set I bought is Deutche Gramaphone catalog number 00440 073 4337
It's a 2 DVD set.

http://www.amazon.com/Bach-The-Cello-Suites-Video/dp/B000N4SJLU

Thanks...i just bought it second-hand on Amazon. So that means i will have: Starker Mercury Living SACD, Fournier, Rostropovich, du Pre, Zeller and now Maisky. I think that's enough!!! Bach, Handel and Haydn are my 3 favorites though...and just the other nite while working, i did play Zeller, then Starker all the way thru. Look forward to hearing Maisky! I am glad to have gotten the one you got (i think)...because the comments across the various Maisky's are very inconsistent...except for this one series where they are consistently good.
thanks!

Soundminded

Apr 26, 2012
This set is used here as a paradigm for teaching. They've been arranged for viola. What separates this set of recordings from the others and makes them special are the nuances. When you listen to it, listen for subtle changes in tempo, dynamics, tone, and phrasing. These are among the elements that combine to separate a great performance from a merely good one. When they are done well, unless you are looking for them you may not even be aware of them. All you'll know is you like it better but you won't really know exactly why. Those nuances start to come after technique is mastered. To be a critical listener you not only need to know what you like and don't like, I think you need to know why.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
As Lloyd knows I've only recently spent more time with whatever classical music I had, and also took his recommendation on a few discs of the Bach piece mentioned here. So here's list of preference

1. Maisky
2. Starker
3. Yo Yo Ma
4. Rostropovich.

Please be kind in your rebuttals as I'm a complete noob to all this wonderful music.

Hi...so now i have heard the exact Masiky in the video ( bought it second hand from Amazon)...my personal ranking:

- Starker Mercury Labvel (which, John, i fyou're curious, i have heard is superior to the Sony Classic one)
- Maisky DVD
- Fournier
- Yo Yo Ma
- Zeller (mainly due to the incredible recording quality)
- Rostropovich
- du Pre

In fact, due to the incredible recording quality, listen to Zeller more than Fournier.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
John - FWIW, the more i have listened to Bach, the more i have appreciated in particular the contemplative, mathematical patterns which are so beautiful in his music...very soothing. As a result, an almost academic approach with supreme technique is my favorite.

But still, with a touch of emotion. Hence, why i drop Yo Yo Ma just a bit...fantastic technique and exceptionally clean, but prefer Starker because his contemplative approach feels more 'human' less technical to me than Yo Yo Ma. All personal choices here...but thought i would share. Again, FWIW, i have heard snipets of the Sony Classic Bach Cellos by Starker...and if you really want to 'get into Cello Sonatas' i am a serious fan of his Mercury Label and went thru the brain damage to find (and [gulp] pay for) the Mercury Label SACD. ouch...but i play it, and even my girlfriend put up with hearing Zeller, Fournier, du Pre, Rostropovich, Maisky,...still prefers the Starker Cello without question.

Soundminded

Apr 26, 2012
Found another one. You never know what you'll find in my house :)

Mstislav Rostropovich Great Works for Cello and Orchestra DG 437 952-2 two disc set

Contains among other things Vivaldi cello concerto RV 398 and concerto RV 413, Tartini cello concerto, and Boccherini cello concerto. Also contains Tchaikowsky variations on a roccoco theme for cello and orchestra (one of my favorites.)

Of less interest to fans of Baroque and Roccoco music it also contains Tchaikowsky andante cantabile for cello and orchestra (posthumous), Glazounov and Schostakovitch cello concertos, and Three meditations for cello and orchestra by Bernstein (extracts from his Mass.)

I've only listened to the disc with the Baroque and Roccoco pieces. IMO it's a very fine recording.

JonFo

Jun 11, 2010
Big Canoe, GA
www.jonathanfoulkes.com
My favorite baroque cello music is from the incredible french movie 'Tous Les Matins Du Monde' about the composer Saint-Colombe.

The movie is available at: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0103110/

And the amazing high-rez audio soundtrack is available on this SACD:
http://www.arkivmusic.com/classical/album.jsp?album_id=94126

It is a real workout for your system

RBFC

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.fightingconcepts.com
Found another one. You never know what you'll find in my house :)

Mstislav Rostropovich Great Works for Cello and Orchestra DG 437 952-2 two disc set

Contains among other things Vivaldi cello concerto RV 398 and concerto RV 413, Tartini cello concerto, and Boccherini cello concerto. Also contains Tchaikowsky variations on a roccoco theme for cello and orchestra (one of my favorites.)

Of less interest to fans of Baroque and Roccoco music it also contains Tchaikowsky andante cantabile for cello and orchestra (posthumous), Glazounov and Schostakovitch cello concertos, and Three meditations for cello and orchestra by Bernstein (extracts from his Mass.)

I've only listened to the disc with the Baroque and Roccoco pieces. IMO it's a very fine recording.

The Shostakovich concerto on that set (I own it too) is great. Of course, it depends if that's your cup of tea....

Lee

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
So here's list of preference

1. Maisky
2. Starker
3. Yo Yo Ma
4. Rostropovich.

Am I allowed to change my order? I feel I must after now having listened to all versions several times in the last few weeks.

When I first saw the Maisky YouTube clip I was really taken away by it. I loved his physical intensity and I thought the pace was right on the money. However, I now truly prefer the Janos Starker version, despite him being much less animated in his playing. I'm not knowledgeable enough to really explain why, but when I come home to listen to that piece, the Starker version is my goto one.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Am I allowed to change my order? I feel I must after now having listened to all versions several times in the last few weeks.

When I first saw the Maisky YouTube clip I was really taken away by it. I loved his physical intensity and I thought the pace was right on the money. However, I now truly prefer the Janos Starker version, despite him being much less animated in his playing. I'm not knowledgeable enough to really explain why, but when I come home to listen to that piece, the Starker version is my goto one.

ahhhh...very nice! And not just because we agree...as you know, Starker Mercury Living is my favorite (of du Pre, Rostropovich, Maisky, Fournier)...but because it seems you have started to dig into them...and come up with renewed views on the different interpretations. That is way cool! Enjoy!

benito

Jul 23, 2018
France
I bought the Elgar* - Jacqueline Du Pré, Sir John Barbirolli, London Symphony Orchestra* / Janet Baker – Cello Concerto / Sea Pictures, Warner Classics – 0190295871888, Europe, 2017.

I am really disapointed by the sound quality: du Pré Cello is not detached from the ochestra. I have to crank up the volume at some level that I never go and then got a lot of background noise. Nothing compare what I have heard with my head phone here:

I wonder if other version have the same problem.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I bought the Elgar* - Jacqueline Du Pré, Sir John Barbirolli, London Symphony Orchestra* / Janet Baker – Cello Concerto / Sea Pictures, Warner Classics – 0190295871888, Europe, 2017.

I am really disapointed by the sound quality: du Pré Cello is not detached from the ochestra. I have to crank up the volume at some level that I never go and then got a lot of background noise. Nothing compare what I have heard with my head phone here:

I wonder if other version have the same problem.

Is this HMV ASD 655? Can you put up a picture of the actual disc?

Ah, you bought a warner classics reissue? You should have bought the ED1 or 2. The 2 is also good at lower price.

You also have a completely different system to Howie's. For Vitus integrated you need to go to class A SIA 25 or 30 to get quality. The Allnic phono is the lowest model, have you at least rotated out the recti?

Last edited:

benito

Jul 23, 2018
France
Is this HMV ASD 655? Can you put up a picture of the actual disc?

Ah, you bought a warner classics reissue? You should have bought the ED1 or 2. The 2 is also good at lower price.

You also have a completely different system to Howie's. For Vitus integrated you need to go to class A SIA 25 or 30 to get quality. The Allnic phono is the lowest model, have you at least rotated out the recti?
The version of Edgar concerto on DiscOgs.
I do not think that my set-up is not adequate for. I have the same feeling on the youtube versions.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

benito

Jul 23, 2018
France
Reissues are usually much less compared to originals

That said unfortunately, youtube sounds better than many systems

You will need to try this one. https://www.discogs.com/sell/item/1699904758

Use a RK 5u4g recti in your Allnic.

Thanks for the link, if I had a lot of money, I would not have this system. I already change the recti on the Allnic psu by a RCA ones.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Thanks for the link, if I had a lot of money, I would not have this system. I already change the recti on the Allnic psu by a RCA ones.

True. Then get used devore Orangutan O96 and NAF 2a3 integrated if you want to enjoy such music and have space from the walls, else a vintage tannoy.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing