Phasemation PP-2000

joeling

Jan 8, 2014
Just acquired one of these. Would like to seek advice from fellow members what is the besting loading for this cart. Thanks.

Reactions: CKKeung and hogen

Shuggie

Sep 9, 2020
UK
ammonite-audio.co.uk
For an active gain MC phono preamplifer, try 50 ohms or 100 ohms and choose whichever option you like best. Personally, I'd use a moving coil step up transformer such as Phasemation's own products, which are truly excellent and really liberate the performance of Phasemation cartridges.

Reactions: joeling

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
Just acquired one of these. Would like to seek advice from fellow members what is the besting loading for this cart. Thanks.
I've heard it and as I recall the best sound was about 100 Ohms, but I can't recall the exact value. It's a stunning cartridge, I enjoyed it very much. It depends a little bit on your cables too, so don't get stuck on one value and play around.

joeling

Jan 8, 2014
Thanks for the insight. I am waiting for my arm base for Groovemaster III. Will mount the PP-2000 on this arm. @Shuggie, I am also exploring their Phono stages as well. I heard the PP-1000 on their EA2000 6 chassis phono. Very nice. However, 6 boxes is too many a box for me. No space on the rack o_O

Shuggie

Sep 9, 2020
UK
ammonite-audio.co.uk
Thanks for the insight. I am waiting for my arm base for Groovemaster III. Will mount the PP-2000 on this arm. @Shuggie, I am also exploring their Phono stages as well. I heard the PP-1000 on their EA2000 6 chassis phono. Very nice. However, 6 boxes is too many a box for me. No space on the rack o_O
I've only heard the Phasemation EA-350, which I have here and is excellent, but even more so when used with the T-1000 dual mono SUTs, instead of the EA-350's internal SUTs. François at Ana Mighty Sound says the EA-1200 is pretty special, even if the EA-2000 is clearly better. I am in awe of the physical quality of all Phasemation products, which are truly high-end at mostly sensible prices.

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
I've only heard the Phasemation EA-350, which I have here and is excellent, but even more so when used with the T-1000 dual mono SUTs, instead of the EA-350's internal SUTs. François at Ana Mighty Sound says the EA-1200 is pretty special, even if the EA-2000 is clearly better. I am in awe of the physical quality of all Phasemation products, which are truly high-end at mostly sensible prices.
EA-350 is a great phono stage, but it doesn't use SUT. It has a separate input stage for MC which is a voltage amplifier, so you can think of it as a solid-state replacement for SUT. I could live with even EA-200 and PP-200, they make a killer combo for a reasonable price :)

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany

My personal winner is the combination of EA-1200 plus T-2000 step up.

You are close to EA-2000 performance with the bonus, that 3x MC carts can be connected.

IMG_8281.jpg

Shuggie

Sep 9, 2020
UK
ammonite-audio.co.uk
EA-350 is a great phono stage, but it doesn't use SUT. It has a separate input stage for MC which is a voltage amplifier, so you can think of it as a solid-state replacement for SUT. I could live with even EA-200 and PP-200, they make a killer combo for a reasonable price :)
Sorry, but that is wrong. The EA-350 does have internal SUTs, clearly stated on their website https://phasemation.com/product/ea-350.html :

Last year, using our knowledge gained from making T-2000 which sparkled having won many awards last year, we built in a step-up transformer with a special split winding structure supporting balanced transmissions of a 26dB gain and this makes an MC balanced transmission.

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany

joeling

Jan 8, 2014
Very tempting indeed.

joeling

Jan 8, 2014
My problem is that I am too curious and I need more inputs :oops:

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
My problem is that I am too curious and I need more inputs :oops:
Maybe two phono stages with multiple inputs in each? That would be another point to mix it up. For example one solid-state and the other with tubes? With two cartridges that give you 4 possible sound signatures.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
My personal winner is the combination of EA-1200 plus T-2000 step up.

You are close to EA-2000 performance with the bonus, that 3x MC carts can be connected.

View attachment 92445

The phasemation 2000 was preferred to the CS port and Thrax phonos at Anamighty though they were very good too. Never got to try the 1200 with the phasemation SUT, I was interested in confirming exactly what you posted.

Anamighty had a very nice cable of their own that bettered the phasemation cable from the SUT to the phono.

It will be good to compare phasemation with properly rolled valves with Allnic 8000, EMT, Mayer, and a couple of the ones going direct from Eastern europe

Reactions: shakti

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany
The phasemation 2000 was preferred to the CS port and Thrax phonos at Anamighty though they were very good too. Never got to try the 1200 with the phasemation SUT, I was interested in confirming exactly what you posted.

Anamighty had a very nice cable of their own that bettered the phasemation cable from the SUT to the phono.

It will be good to compare phasemation with properly rolled valves with Allnic 8000, EMT, Mayer, and a couple of the ones going direct from Eastern europe

My EA-2000 has now some more hours on and keeps to get better, so currently the EA-2000 is developing mainly in the area of the upper bass region, getting more energy and resolution there. EA-1200 is now a bigger step left behind in this regard (both with T-2000)

I am using the Phasemation 1000 cable series, not the cable which was supplied with the EA-2000, I have some more from the 1000 series, so the comparison can be done more fast.

EA-1200 likes little darker cables, EA-2000 likes little brighter cables, difficult to make a "fair" comparison with a final judge.
(at least in my set up, Solution 720 plus Heisenberg plus Avalon)

joeling

Jan 8, 2014
Gentlemen,

Thanks for all the insights. I will sleep on it for a while see how :D

Ed.P

Mar 12, 2018
Picked up one of these recently.

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
Love to hear your thoughts about the PP2000. Glanz arm right?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing