Phasemation PP-2000

Bonesy Jonesy

Jan 3, 2017
UK & Spain
I have reported to my dealer & he is seeking advice. No tech available in my small city. I am the tech :eek:

My investigation revealed that the power / pump unit is vibrating. Drive motor is vibrating / some noise. Mostly as a result of this, the vibration has been transmitted to the main platter unit and the less welled damped arm in the GM3 it manifests as an undulating hum.

Started with the thinking that it is the PP2000 but ended up realising it's the AF3P o_O
That's one of the downsides of having a quite sophisticated TT with air bearings, vacuum pumps etc. etc.

One of the main reasons I bought the Kuzma XL DC (as well as it's looks and performance) is for it's ultra simplicity, solid engineering and less to go wrong.

Reactions: Rensselaer

benito

Jul 23, 2018
France
I have reported to my dealer & he is seeking advice. No tech available in my small city. I am the tech :eek:

My investigation revealed that the power / pump unit is vibrating. Drive motor is vibrating / some noise. Mostly as a result of this, the vibration has been transmitted to the main platter unit and the less welled damped arm in the GM3 it manifests as an undulating hum.

Started with the thinking that it is the PP2000 but ended up realising it's the AF3P o_O
You have to open the box, maybe it is just a screw that fixs the pump to tighten up if your turntable is not anymore under warranty.

joeling

Jan 8, 2014
You have to open the box, maybe it is just a screw that fixs the pump to tighten up if your turntable is not anymore under warranty.
Factory promised to provide a new unit as replacement since I took delivery early in the year but so far did not follow through.

As a last ditch effort prior to intervention of manufacturer of the table, I installed the new TT feet with very compliant rubber-like material (the make it the 'S' variant of the latest model. AF3P'S')l. The vibration of the table is now much reduced. The hum on the PP2000 gone. Thank u everyone for your help and insights.

Last edited:
Reactions: XV-1

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com

Just a wild shot, but maybe the mounts got loose in transport? Maybe the package has suffered being dropped somewhere along the way..?

djsina2

May 30, 2019
Through the course my trouble shooting, I realised perhaps the table needs some attention. When it was delivered, the holding / transport bolts on the pump unit were dislodged and left gashing holes on the bottom of the unit.
Minor detail…

joeling

Jan 8, 2014
Just a wild shot, but maybe the mounts got loose in transport? Maybe the package has suffered being dropped somewhere along the way..?
For sure. Both holding / transport bolts were ripped out from the unit. I am chasing for the replacement unit to be delivered. Meanwhile, the PP2000 is being broken in and will go head to head with the Blue Lace. Tiger eye back in storage for another arm.

defride

VIP/Donor
Mar 28, 2013
For sure. Both holding / transport bolts were ripped out from the unit. I am chasing for the replacement unit to be delivered. Meanwhile, the PP2000 is being broken in and will go head to head with the Blue Lace. Tiger eye back in storage for another arm.
Sorry to hear of the TT troubles, hope it's sorted quickly and efficiently

Look forward to hearing thoughts re PP2000 compares. I've enjoyed mine but it was a shot in the dark based on information provided by others

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
Fingers crossed for a quick fix! Super curious about the comparison of the PP2000 to others.

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney

I trust the AF3 is now fixed.

How did the comparison between the pp2000 and the Blue Lace go?

joeling

Jan 8, 2014
I trust the AF3 is now fixed.

How did the comparison between the pp2000 and the Blue Lace go?
They are both very nice. I play either one depends on my whim. The Phasemation should be a bit better as I have a heavy bias towards Koetsu. Better than the Tiger Eye but the Tiger Eye has low hours because I kept going to either the Blue Lace or the Phasemation.

My dealer also quoted me a PP5000 :oops::oops::oops:. Eyes wide big sort of price.

Boggy

Jan 16, 2013
Interesting that the PP-2000 is better than the Blue Lace. Isn't the former half the price of the Latter?

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
Interesting that the PP-2000 is better than the Blue Lace. Isn't the former half the price of the Latter?

In the US about 43%.

In Australia about 31%

Bonesy Jonesy

Jan 3, 2017
UK & Spain
Very tempting these Phasemations :)
Yeh, certainly got me thinking for when I upgrade my MSL Eminent Ex ! .
I was thinking for my next upgrade being either a MSL Gold or Platinum Signature (as I really like how the Ex performs) or a stone body Koetsu i.e. a Blue Lace !

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
I am buying a PP-2000 - pick up next week. I am hoping it will be a good alternate " relaxed" music option to my Lyra Atlas sound.

I did want to try a stone Koetsu, but prices in AU are stupid expensive.

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
new Phasemation PP-2000 with Phase Tech CS-1 head shell. only a few sides but seems what I was looking for - relaxed, sophisticated almost sensual.

tWleMUe.jpg

7qZi3nB.jpg

2BRfCMm.jpg

3qhI3g6.jpg

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
Hey PP-2000 users.

What are you guys tracking at?

And VTA?

This cart seems to be more sensitive to vta and tracking weight compared to my Lyras

Cheers

defride

VIP/Donor
Mar 28, 2013
Hey PP-2000 users.

What are you guys tracking at?

And VTA?

This cart seems to be more sensitive to vta and tracking weight compared to my Lyras

Cheers

Was a while ago now, my dealer recommended 1.8g to start then I tuned by ear, I went very slightly heavier, can't remember exactly where it ended up. My scale has died and haven't got around to getting a new one so can't check, sorry. Also thought it sensitive to VTA, not vast differences but enough to get a sense that adding a card or two to horizontal was preferable.

Sounded great from the off but did open out with some hours on it.

Once your happy with setup and break in will be interested to hear your thoughts on comparison to the Atlas, it's the other cart I almost bought.

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
I have put about 40 hours on the PP-2000 and been playing it all week.
Wonderful musical cart and seems to he able to play any musical genre I have thrown it so far.
Sounds pretty amazing on Jazz and Jazz vocals which was expected. It is really sounding good on electronic music which I was not sure how it would fare and imdie rock is being handled easily.

Sound wise it has seemed to have settled down - maybe it might change up to 70 hours a little more

I will probably look at getting the Phasemation CS-1200 headshell like Ed P, which is a little lighter than my old CS-1.

Reactions: Ed.P

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing