Phasemation PP-2000

joeling

Jan 8, 2014
Ok, I have finally mounted my PP2000 on at Groovemaster III arm. Sounds very nice. Can give the Koetsu stone bodies a run for their money.

However, I have an issue. When the needle is on the LP, there is a fair / high amount of what I can guess is groove noise that manifests itself like a hum. Lift the arm & its total silence. Needle in contact when LP not spinning, dead silence. Needle in contact with spinning LP, noise, humming noise.

Any owners with similar experience ? Is my cart defective ?

In comparison with my Koetsu or Benz Micro LPS on same phono amp, the PP2000 has a much higher level of hum / groove noise. Turn the volume down when the needle is in contact with the spinning LP, dead silent.

Help !

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
Ok, I have finally mounted my PP2000 on at Groovemaster III arm. Sounds very nice. Can give the Koetsu stone bodies a run for their money.

However, I have an issue. When the needle is on the LP, there is a fair / high amount of what I can guess is groove noise that manifests itself like a hum. Lift the arm & its total silence. Needle in contact when LP not spinning, dead silence. Needle in contact with spinning LP, noise, humming noise.

In comparison with my Koetsu or Benz Micro LPS on same phono amp, the PP2000 has a much higher level of hum / groove noise. Turn the volume down when the needle is in contact with the spinning LP, dead silent.

Help !
Maybe you can try a lower downward force on the stylus? Usually, it helps. Try going -0,1 to -0,2g from the current setting. Sometimes even that helps :)

defride

VIP/Donor
Mar 28, 2013
Mine exhibits none of these symptoms, very quiet in the groove

Seems pretty unlikely but if you haven't already, eyeball the cart on the record surface as it plays. If there's a little too much tracking force the front pole which is low can contact the record surface and cause noise.

Best of luck with it, really like mine

Reactions: joeling

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany
Ha

Help !

Have you tried to change the Headshell?

Benz LPS is Wood Body with high damping and likes mostly a harder Headshell.
same for the most koetsu types.

PP- 200O play best ( in my setup) if not paired with alloy or magnesium type Headshell ,
currently I am using the old SAEC ceramic Headshell.

as I have no experience with groovemaster, I can only recommend to try out.
also sometimes the dereneville Headshell mat has a positive effect on resonance effects.

joeling

Jan 8, 2014
Thanks for your insights everyone.

1) The cart was installed on a Groovemaster III with the original wooden Groovemaster headshell - hum on the groove
2) Swapped out the headshell for a metal Arche headshell & installed on my 10" Glanz tone arm - hum on the groove but slightly lower in magnitude but still significant. Way louder than acceptable compared to my other carts like Koetsu, LPS
3) Swapped back to Groovemaster III - hum level back to the same as (1)
4) Lower the tracking force to the minimum recommended 1.7g (was 1.9g) - hum on the groove no change
5) lead in / lead out - hum as long as needle on the LP

Next thing I will try is to install the cart in a different table. Lots more work :(

joeling

Jan 8, 2014
Any first impressions? I'm curious about the Glanz tonearms. Don't leave us hanging :)
Glanz is a very good arm. Mine only 10" & I have paired it with my DS Audio Grandmaster. On well recorded music, wow. Dynamics a plenty and so delicate & nuanced. Dare I say even slightly better than the FR66S + Blue Lace combo.

Reactions: XV-1 and shakti

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
5) lead in / lead out - hum as long as needle on the LP
Sometimes we use words differently but to my way of thinking, if there is "hum" when the cart is dropped into groove sections with no modulation, but it disappears when the cart is lifted off the record then I would surmise something is wrong / broken. I am only a little confused because if the suspension being loaded causes a hum to appear I would think it would happen if lp was spinning or not with unmodulated groove segments.

If we are talking about "excess groove noise, clicks pops etc" as the cart tracks along then its still not good but the problem may stem from different issues.

joeling

Jan 8, 2014
Sometimes we use words differently but to my way of thinking, if there is "hum" when the cart is dropped into groove sections with no modulation, but it disappears when the cart is lifted off the record then I would surmise something is wrong / broken. I am only a little confused because if the suspension being loaded causes a hum to appear I would think it would happen if lp was spinning or not with unmodulated groove segments.

If we are talking about "excess groove noise, clicks pops etc" as the cart tracks along then its still not good but the problem may stem from different issues.
I hear an undulating hum / noise with a steady rhythm whether music playing or in between songs. Seems like I am hearing the platter spin but that seems weird as the platter should b floating on air.

Bonesy Jonesy

Jan 3, 2017
UK & Spain
Maybe a long shot.....
If you try with different cartridges on the same tonearm and turntable and still have hum issues (albeit at different sound levels) this could be a ground loop issue;
1) Have you checked the grounding connection of the tonearm to the Phono Stage (assuming your tonearm has a separate earth ground cable to connect to the ground connection of your phono stage) ?
2) Are the tonearm wiring end connections ok i.e. properly wired from cartridge pins to the tonearm cable end connections etc. ?

joeling

Jan 8, 2014
Maybe a long shot.....
If you try with different cartridges on the same tonearm and turntable and still have hum issues (albeit at different sound levels) this could be a ground loop issue;
1) Have you checked the grounding connection of the tonearm to the Phono Stage (assuming your tonearm has a separate earth ground cable to connect to the ground connection of your phono stage) ?
2) Are the tonearm wiring end connections ok i.e. properly wired from cartridge pins to the tonearm cable end connections etc. ?
1) With other carts no hum at all.

2) Earth cable from tone arms (tried 2 different arms) are attached correctly to the phono stage

3) Checked all the cartridge connections all good.

Last thing to try is on another different table

Reactions: Bonesy Jonesy

joeling

Jan 8, 2014
Anyway, some discovery. Mounted a Koetsu & lo & behold, hum. Tonearm arm tube was over the top of the SF3P motor. Changed the location of the tone arm. No more hum for the Koetsu. Hum on the PP2000 is reduced but not gone. I guess the Phasemation is more sensitive.

Bonesy Jonesy

Jan 3, 2017
UK & Spain
Anyway, some discovery. Mounted a Koetsu & lo & behold, hum. Tonearm arm tube was over the top of the SF3P motor. Changed the location of the tone arm. No more hum for the Koetsu. Hum on the PP2000 is reduced but not gone. I guess the Phasemation is more sensitive.
I had a similar problem with pronounced hum with my Rega Reference P10 Turntable with Rega's Reference RB3000 Tonearm and Rega Apheta 3 cartridge linked to the Rega's Reference Aura Phono Stage.
When the cartridge got closer to the record spindle, the hum got worst (especially through my Hifiman EF1000 Amp & Susvara headphones system - headphones are more sensitive to hearing unwanted noises than standard medium to low sensitivity).
I contacted Rega and my Rega Dealer about this issue. The Dealer said it was a common inherent problem with Rega's especially with their Apheta and Aphelion cartridges which have plastic side casings and therefore little shielding from picking up such frequencies from motors. Rega said I had my volume up too high and that I should turn it down ! lol :)
I still have a bit of hum from my Kuzma XL DC & Kuzma 4Point 11" with a My Sonic Lab Eminent Ex linked to the Rega Aura Phono Stage although nowhere near as much. I therefore put the lower hum I have now down to the Rega Aura Phono Stage !

Reactions: joeling

mtemur

Mar 26, 2019
As noted by other members before, this sounds like a ground loop issue. Remove AF3P grounding cable if it’s attached to phono stage. You can try removing tonearms ground cables and only attaching turntable’s ground to the phono stage. Since AF3P’s base and arm boards are all metal they make electrical contact with tonearm base which is connected to tonearm ground. I have experienced this issue with AF3P and SAT CF01 before.

Maril555

Jun 26, 2014
It sounds as if your problem has been solved- EMI interference from the motor? Or I'm reading this wrong?

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
As mentioned by @Bonesy Jonesy it's most likely to be hum from the motor. Some cartridges are more susceptible, and some are less. Shielding that is quite complicated because it is most likely either magnetic or electric coupling.

Reactions: Bonesy Jonesy

joeling

Jan 8, 2014
For the moment, my task is to mount the PP2000 in another table to try. However, I do not think the issue lies with the PP2000.

More disturbing is the faint noise from the motor and vibration from the power / pump unit that was not there previously.

With my hand touching the arm tubes, I could sense some faint vibration from the Groovemaster but not the Glanz or the FR.

Through the course my trouble shooting, I realised perhaps the table needs some attention. When it was delivered, the holding / transport bolts on the pump unit were dislodged and left gashing holes on the bottom of the unit. I reported to my dealer but fired up the unit anyway. Did not seem to be an issue until now. Anyway, my dealer did mention that factory will replace the unit with a brand new one but that was in February. Time to chase.

As an aside, the Groovemaster + Tiger eye combo is very nice indeed.

Ground cable of table connected to phono stage resulted in fairly loud hum

Ground cable of tone arm not connected to phono stage resulted in hum

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
For the moment, my task is to mount the PP2000 in another table to try. However, I do not think the issue lies with the PP2000.

More disturbing is the faint noise from the motor and vibration from the power / pump unit that was not there previously.

With my hand touching the arm tubes, I could sense some faint vibration from the Groovemaster but not the Glanz or the FR.

Through the course my trouble shooting, I realised perhaps the table needs some attention. When it was delivered, the holding / transport bolts on the pump unit were dislodged and left gashing holes on the bottom of the unit. I reported to my dealer but fired up the unit anyway. Did not seem to be an issue until now. Anyway, my dealer did mention that factory will replace the unit with a brand new one but that was in February. Time to chase.

As an aside, the Groovemaster + Tiger eye combo is very nice indeed.

Ground cable of table connected to phono stage resulted in fairly loud hum

Ground cable of tone arm not connected to phono stage resulted in hum
Maybe the platter is not grounded correctly? I'm afraid you need to see a technician or wait for them to fix it.

joeling

Jan 8, 2014
I have reported to my dealer & he is seeking advice. No tech available in my small city. I am the tech :eek:

My investigation revealed that the power / pump unit is vibrating. Drive motor is vibrating / some noise. Mostly as a result of this, the vibration has been transmitted to the main platter unit and the less welled damped arm in the GM3 it manifests as an undulating hum.

Started with the thinking that it is the PP2000 but ended up realising it's the AF3P o_O

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing