Orotofon MC Anna Diamond cartridge

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
Sorry to go off tangent from the Anna D., but where is the MC Century positioned in the scheme of things within the Ortofon family? Thank you.

according to Fremer and various reports, the Anna D. is exactly an MC Century with a slightly different body. underneath they are the same. with very slight sonic differences. the Century was a 100 piece limited edition, the Anna D a permanent model in the line up.

the demand for the Century pushed Ortofon to make it a permanent product in the line-up, but still protected the exclusivity for Century buyers.

Reactions: Hamburger

BruceD

VIP/Donor
Dec 13, 2013
My Madake is also mounted on a 4 point. I think it is a very good match. It may not sound as extended in highs but when I measure it actually is but it is balanced and not hyped. It was after a forum suggestion that I removed the trough from my 4 point and everything got even better so you may like to try that.

Now, I wonder how the new Miyajima Destiny is :)
Yes I've read of the trough removal--I never used it anyway-haven't struck anyone with the Destiny--but the Miyajima genes spread the sonics far and intensely musical --so the Destiny could be the ultimate maybe?
I first heard the Madake in Chris's setup at AE Hkg below--it was an eye(ear!) opener and I was hooked :p !

The VdH's get great press here--they are excellent carts--dear AJ he's still behind the Wheel I see--wow--an Energiser Bunny!
He re tipped my stripped out EMT TSD's and Koetsus in the early 80s-when I lived in Europe--he was always such fountain of knowledge and a master of his craft. He'd setup his little Table and Chair and open his case of jewels in the hallways of the Shows--such a gentleman.

Good listening,
BruceD

Attachments

• AE 5.jpg
    AE 5.jpg
    541 KB · Views: 56

Hamburger

Nov 6, 2018
according to Fremer and various reports, the Anna D. is exactly an MC Century with a slightly different body. underneath they are the same. with very slight sonic differences. the Century was a 100 piece limited edition, the Anna D a permanent model in the line up.

the demand for the Century pushed Ortofon to make it a permanent product in the line-up, but still protected the exclusivity for Century buyers.
Thank you, Mike!!

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany
I wonder if either Koetsu or Ortofon would consider retipping mine when I need it?
You can get a retip @Mutech
Mr Kanda was always a supplier to Transfiguration, now he has taken over and is building the Hayabusa Cart, based on Transfiguration knowledge and My Sonic Lab support. Mr Kanda promised to do Transfiguration service as well

dkrm

Jul 8, 2014
I may sound weird in this forum as I do have the forum favorite VdH MS Sig Strad but prefer the Miyajima Madake and keep the MS in its box. Madake sounds and measures really good in my setup, no hype, no show off, transmitting what is in the groove. I almost went for an Anna diamond before too (ordered and cancelled after getting the surprise Madake).
I would very much like to hear what are the differences you hear on Anna D vs Madake. I would also like to hear more in depth about your setup.
Enjoy!
Dont get me wrong. Madake is really good. However it is more restraint. It is more relaxed compared to AD. However, it is less all arounder. I listen to everything from classical to rock. I found AD suits me better.

I use Air Force One with Durrand Talea 2. My Phonostage is AR Ref 10 that I had for very long time. My preamp is Goldmund 32.5 and my speaker is Goldmund Apologue.

Reactions: kodomo

dkrm

Jul 8, 2014
Dont get me wrong. Madake is really good. However it is more restraint. It is more relaxed compared to AD. However, it is less all arounder. I listen to everything from classical to rock. I found AD suits me better.

I use Air Force One with Durrand Talea 2. My Phonostage is AR Ref 10 that I had for very long time. My preamp is Goldmund 32.5 and my speaker is Goldmund Apologue.
And I am big fan of Miyajima. I also use Kansui and Zero Mono.

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
The VdH's get great press here--they are excellent carts--dear AJ he's still behind the Wheel I see--wow--an Energiser Bunny!
He re tipped my stripped out EMT TSD's and Koetsus in the early 80s-when I lived in Europe--he was always such fountain of knowledge and a master of his craft. He'd setup his little Table and Chair and open his case of jewels in the hallways of the Shows--such a gentleman.

Good listening,
BruceD
he is really nice helpful person, i broke my decca ffss cart really sad for me.
I had no money to repair, he said give it to me you get van den hul ddt special in exchange. I i think in that moment i was the happiest person on earth.
Sorry for offtopic ...i must tell it here
4940362b8c40702c62a04b9fc7f57c93.jpg

Annapurna

Mar 19, 2018
I am deciding whether to get a GF Statement or a Anna Diamond. Previously I was using the Clearaudio Titanium V2. I am wondering which one should I get. I just got my SME 30/12 with V12 recently. Any advice is much appreciated.

Reactions: Solypsa

hbsry2001

Apr 9, 2018
Ive not heard the Ortofon but I have a Transfiguration Proteus Diamond and it is far and way the most transparent, resolving cart Ive heard. Id go with the diamond cantilever every time.

Reactions: Annapurna

Annapurna

Mar 19, 2018
Ive not heard the Ortofon but I have a Transfiguration Proteus Diamond and it is far and way the most transparent, resolving cart Ive heard. Id go with the diamond cantilever every time.
Thank you for your advise. I have heard positive comments and recommendations from friends using diamond cantilever but have not personally tried one in my setup. My dealer happens to carry Anna Diamond, Clearaudio and Koetsu Stone cartridge including the Carnelion with diamond cantilver. But at this price, there is no home trial and I have to decide based on recommendations and reviews.

Annapurna

Mar 19, 2018
After deliberating for a while, I decided to go for the Anna Diamond. I hope I made the right choice to change from Clearaudio Titanium V2 after using it for a few years. My friend said, we all need a change of flavour/taste. My dealer will be setting it up on Friday. May I know what is the recommended loading to use on my Pass XP27 phono amp? Anna Diamond.jpg

kodomo

Apr 26, 2017
After deliberating for a while, I decided to go for the Anna Diamond. I hope I made the right choice to change from Clearaudio Titanium V2 after using it for a few years. My friend said, we all need a change of flavour/taste. My dealer will be setting it up on Friday. May I know what is the recommended loading to use on my Pass XP27 phono amp? View attachment 77247
Congrats and I hope you enjoy the new cartridge. I have a chance to get an XP27 and an Anna Diamond locally so would be very interested in your experience. Please do share after you listen to them.

jtinn

Industry Expert
Apr 20, 2010
After deliberating for a while, I decided to go for the Anna Diamond. I hope I made the right choice to change from Clearaudio Titanium V2 after using it for a few years. My friend said, we all need a change of flavour/taste. My dealer will be setting it up on Friday. May I know what is the recommended loading to use on my Pass XP27 phono amp? View attachment 77247
Great Choice!

Annapurna

Mar 19, 2018
Anna Diamond was installed on Friday evening. My XP27 was loaded at 100 ohms and gain set at highest 76db. It is still less than 10 hours and both my dealer and I was impressed with the sound. It is very refined, fast and dynamic. The mids and highs seems to be more open than my previous Titanium V2. I do feel the bass is a little bit restraint though. Probably need more time.

Attachments

• 20210423_182421.jpg
    20210423_182421.jpg
    385.8 KB · Views: 16
  • 20210423_194959.jpg
    20210423_194959.jpg
    479.5 KB · Views: 16

fbhifi

Dec 20, 2013
Okatie, SC
More goodness to come with the Anna D. Mine took a while to settle down. I found that running it at the recommended VTF of about 2.4G helped enormously in shortening break-in time- I had run it at different lower weights for the first 30-40 hours which may have delayed break-in. I do think the suspension needs the 2.4G weight to loosen up. I run it now at about 2.3G.

Long story short- it started to absolutely SING at about 65 hours and continued to subtly improve up to 100 hours where it seemed to be done changing.

Don’t be afraid to try it loaded at 150 ohms once it’s broken in, I prefer that to 100, didn’t like 150 before about 70 hours though. The Anna D is a breathtakingly good cartridge!

jtinn

Industry Expert
Apr 20, 2010
More goodness to come with the Anna D. Mine took a while to settle down. I found that running it at the recommended VTF of about 2.4G helped enormously in shortening break-in time- I had run it at different lower weights for the first 30-40 hours which may have delayed break-in. I do think the suspension needs the 2.4G weight to loosen up. I run it now at about 2.3G.

Long story short- it started to absolutely SING at about 65 hours and continued to subtly improve up to 100 hours where it seemed to be done changing.

Don’t be afraid to try it loaded at 150 ohms once it’s broken in, I prefer that to 100, didn’t like 150 before about 70 hours though. The Anna D is a breathtakingly good cartridge!
Really good advice. I actually had it running at quite a bit lower weight and thought it sounded decent but it wasn't until I raised it to about 2.3 2.4 that it really sang. This is really an exceptional cartridge.

Annapurna

Mar 19, 2018

I am now still loading at 100 ohms and 2.4g. I have tried 50 ohms for a short while, seems to have more body in female vocals but has revert back to 100 ohms.

Kinn

Jan 30, 2021
I am now still loading at 100 ohms and 2.4g. I have tried 50 ohms for a short while, seems to have more body in female vocals but has revert back to 100 ohms.
Hi, I bought an Ortofon A95 few months ahead before your purchase of the MC Anna Diamond. Had recently bought an SUT after reading Mike’s detailed description of his positive experience. I will suggest you to try an SUT on your MC Anna Diamond. It is my first SUT and a good one. Both the A95 and MC Anna Diamond has almost similar specs, so 1:20L should work for you.

Not very experience with SUT, however, what I gathered is, each manufacturer has their own “house sound”. I bought a Dave Slagle, copper unit and is simply wonderful. You’ll hear your cart at its best performance.

audioguy1958

Feb 8, 2015
Hi, I bought an Ortofon A95 few months ahead before your purchase of the MC Anna Diamond. Had recently bought an SUT after reading Mike’s detailed description of his positive experience. I will suggest you to try an SUT on your MC Anna Diamond. It is my first SUT and a good one. Both the A95 and MC Anna Diamond has almost similar specs, so 1:20L should work for you.

Not very experience with SUT, however, what I gathered is, each manufacturer has their own “house sound”. I bought a Dave Slagle, copper unit and is simply wonderful. You’ll hear your cart at its best performance.
I purchased an Ortofon T3000 SUT for my A95, I think it's a great match.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing