Orotofon MC Anna Diamond cartridge

audioguy1958

Feb 8, 2015
Hi, I’m sure it is. The dynamics is so effortless.
Yes, dynamics plus detail are incredible. The only thing I've found with the T3000 is that it is not shielded and needs to be kept away from other equipment and power cords at least 6". It's an older silver wire transformer made in Japan and very nice. If I get another SUT I'd probably go for a silver wire Lundahl transformer, with the mu metal shielding.

Bill Demars

Apr 28, 2010
East Greenbush, N.Y.
www.beautyofsound.com
Has anyone had the chance to listen and compare the sound of the Anna Diamond and the AirTight Opus 1?

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
No, not I. None of my friends with Opus 1 have the Anna Diamond.

I stipulate that this is technically invalid, but the closest I have come requires triangulation and transitivity.

Several senior members here feel the ZYX UNIverse Premium ("ZYX") is very substantially sonically similar to Opus 1 ("Opus"). Steve is an expert on ZXY versus the regular Anna (not diamond). I have heard that comparison several times at Steve's, as have numerous other members.

I fully respect the views of people who do not agree with sonic triangulation analysis or sonic transitivity, but I personally think that understanding ZYX versus regular Anna yields significant insight into Opus versus Anna Diamond.

See https://www.whatsbestforum.com/thre...rsus-ortofon-anna-graham-phantom-elite.20195/

Last edited:

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

I stipulate that this is technically invalid, but the closest I have come requires triangulation and transitivity.

Several senior members here feel the ZYX UNIverse Premium ("ZYX") is very substantially sonically similar to Opus 1 ("Opus"). Steve is an expert on ZXY versus the regular Anna (not diamond). I have heard that comparison several times at Steve's, as have numerous other members.

I fully respect the views of people who do not agree with sonic triangulation analysis or sonic transitivity, but I personally think that understanding ZYX versus regular Anna yields significant insight into Opus versus Anna Diamond.

See https://www.whatsbestforum.com/thre...rsus-ortofon-anna-graham-phantom-elite.20195/

I would expect Anna D to be elevated from the Anna. By triangulation theory I would conclude that Opus is better on most fronts to the Anna D but that would be an unfair conclusion (to Anna D) one that we should avoid leading as people use such posts as data points.

Bill Demars

Apr 28, 2010
East Greenbush, N.Y.
www.beautyofsound.com

Ok thank you Ron. I actually have the regular Anna and have on loan the Opus 1. May I just say that the Opus 1 is quite a special cartridge. The first thing that hits me is it's quietness. Jet-black backgrounds that only enhances the amazing dynamics and bass slam. The Anna sits the sound-stage a bit farther back however. Something I like and others may also. Just wondering if the Anna Diamond is "blacker" than the Anna, and does it improve the bass slam?

Reactions: Ron Resnick

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
Has anyone had the chance to listen and compare the sound of the Anna Diamond and the AirTight Opus 1?
I owned the Ortofon A90 for a couple years, then the original MC Anna was my go-to for 6-7 years. then later i bought an Anna Diamond which i was very impressed with and it was equal to my Clearaudio GFS, maybe even a touch better overall. during that time i also had a vdH MS, and preferred the Anna D.

then i got my first Etsuro Gold which was on another higher level. and sold the Anna D. subsequently have bought 2 more Etsuro Golds.

i could live happily ever after with the Anna D. it's an all around great performer. and if i eliminate the Etsuro Gold, it's as fine a MC cartridge as i have heard. i am not personally familiar with the Opus 1.

Reactions: bonzo75

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
Tang prefers his vdH MS to his Opus in his SET/horn system and Mike prefers his Anna Diamond to his vdH in his SS/cone system, so Anna D is better than Opus but Etsuro is what’s best.
i don't think we can make that leap. it does not help us much with the Anna D. <-> Opus 1.

my vdH MS was not much broken in, and Tang has the 'ddk' version with multiple round trips to vdH and back, so it's likely not fair to equate my vdH experience to Tang's. and likely the SME/vdH synergy is considerable too.

will the typical buyer be able to expect Tang's vdH experience? unlikely.

so in this particular case the vdH MS is such a variable product you can't use it to triangulate. people hate it, like it, love it sometimes, or love it all the time. :eek:

even so, Etsuro might be best.

Last edited:

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Tang prefers his vdH MS to his Opus in his SET/horn system and Mike prefers his Anna Diamond to his vdH in his SS/cone system, so Anna D is better than Opus but Etsuro is what’s best.

Which principle of logic are you trying to illustrate here?

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Which principle of logic are you trying to illustrate here?

Ron, I thought that was obvious. I’m applying your triangularization methods on Tang’s and Mike’s reporting on one common variable as a control to reach the logical conclusion while pointing out that the two system contexts are completely different which makes the result highly suspect.

Bonzo picked up on it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lagonda and tima

mtemur

Mar 26, 2019
I purchased an Ortofon T3000 SUT for my A95, I think it's a great match.
Ortofon T3000 SUT was made as a companion to MC 3000 cartridge. I listened T3000 SUT, MC2000, MC3000, MC5000 and some anniversary cartridges (70th and 75) back in the day. as a result I can not say that I like any Ortofon cartridges at all (including the cheap ones that are not mentioned here). but T3000 transformer was a real gem. I liked it a lot. it's a great SUT, even today.

I haven't had a chance to listen A95 and I bet it's a very good performer. A95's slightly high 7ohm DC impedance may be alright for 3-4 ohms 30dB, 32 turns ratio T3000 SUT. if it works than I recommend stick with T3000.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Ron, I thought that was obvious. I’m applying your triangularization methods on Tang’s and Mike’s reporting on one common variable as a control to reach the logical conclusion while pointing out that the two system contexts are completely different which makes the result highly suspect.

Bonzo picked up on it.

Sorry, not obvious to me. Bonzo picked up on your attempt at satire.

Respectfully, you are not applying it at all correctly (to whatever extent it is valid in the first place). There is no possible triangulation if more than one person's sonic impressions are involved. The concept works only with one person.

What Audiophile A thinks of X, and what Audiophile B thinks of Y does not allow us to triangulate on anything. Your schematic is totally meaningless -- as you wryly suggest.

My post said schematically that if Audiophile A compared X to Y, then Audiophile A likely has a sense of what Y2 sounds like, if the only difference between Y and Y2 is a diamond cantilever.*

*My original post has some validity also because I think that diamond cantilevers in general move the sound of their respective cartridges compared to the boron versions of those same cartridges in a similar and consistent sonic direction.

Reactions: bazelio

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Sorry, not obvious to me. Bonzo picked up on your attempt at satire.

Respectfully, you are not applying it at all correctly (to whatever extent it is valid in the first place). There is no possible triangulation if more than one person's sonic impressions are involved. The concept works only with one person.

What Audiophile A thinks of X, and what Audiophile B thinks of Y does not allow us to triangulate on anything. Your schematic is totally meaningless -- as you wryly suggest.

My post said schematically that if Audiophile A compared X to Y, then Audiophile A likely has a sense of what Y2 sounds like, if the only difference between Y and Y2 is a diamond cantilever.*

*My original post has some validity also because I think that diamond cantilevers in general move the sound of their respective cartridges compared to the boron versions of those same cartridges in a similar and consistent sonic direction.

Does your boron - diamond direction come from Koetsu experience? Or some others?

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Yes, Koetsu Coralstone.

This is not my personal experience, so I agree it is not terribly relevant to my point, but I think that reviewers and owners who have compared boron cantilever cartridges to diamond cantilever cartridges by ZYX and Ortofon also suggest similar sonic directions.

jtinn

Industry Expert
Apr 20, 2010
i have had them both here for a long comparison. The Opus 1 is a very refined sounding cartridge. It is quiet and quite musical. Definitely one of the better cartridges I have listened to. On the other hand, the Ortofon Anna Diamond is every bit as refined but also has superior resolution and attack.

There really is no bad choice here, but I prefer the Ortofon for which I am a dealer.

Bill Demars

Apr 28, 2010
East Greenbush, N.Y.
www.beautyofsound.com
i have had them both here for a long comparison. The Opus 1 is a very refined sounding cartridge. It is quiet and quite musical. Definitely one of the better cartridges I have listened to. On the other hand, the Ortofon Anna Diamond is every bit as refined but also has superior resolution and attack.

There really is no bad choice here, but I prefer the Ortofon for which I am a dealer.
Thank you Jonathan! Could you please comment on the quietness of the cartridges? I have never heard a quieter cart with such jet-black backgrounds as the Opus 1.

jtinn

Industry Expert
Apr 20, 2010
Thank you Jonathan! Could you please comment on the quietness of the cartridges? I have never heard a quieter cart with such jet-black backgrounds as the Opus 1.
I cannot really say there was a big difference. Both were very quiet. I am using the darTZeel NHB-18NS MKII which also is extremely quiet.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing