New OMA turntable

I will die of old age before getting trough those long, long threads ! ;)

Milan, you just have to read the first three or four pages of my thread. The rest is sword fighting.

The direct comparison of the Micro Seiki SX 8000 II, the AS1000, and the AS2000 it’s quite fascinating. Summer 2022.

Reactions: Lagonda
Milan, you just have to read the first three or four pages of my thread. The rest is sword fighting.

The direct comparison of the Micro Seiki SX 8000 II, the AS1000, and the AS2000 it’s quite fascinating. Summer 2022.
I read it all already Peter ! :) I don't remember David ever claiming "worlds best turntable" ! Owners of the AS 2000 have come to this conclusion.

I read it all already Peter ! :) I don't remember David ever claiming "worlds best turntable" ! Owners of the AS 2000 have come to this conclusion.

David told me in a conversation that he cannot claim that it is the worlds’s best simply because he has not heard all of the great turntables. He did select his group of five beyond turntables over years of listening and his own AS2000 is better than most of them and simply different from the others. I have heard two of them in my own system with the same arm/cartridge and compared the two to his design. His is better. It is the one I chose for my last table.

I have mentioned it many times, master tape on a properly maintained top tape machine will be most natural problem is the extremely limited software and state of the machines. Looking at average software and machines top end record players are superior when setup correctly.

david
Additionally tape ages bad and loose dynamics but vinyl doesn’t.

Reactions: bonzo75 and ddk
If we look back in time OMA had a some sort of working relationship with Saskia. I wonder how that went bad?
Really doesn't take too much imagination.

I have mentioned it many times, master tape on a properly maintained top tape machine will be most natural problem is the extremely limited software and state of the machines. Looking at average software and machines top end record players are superior when setup correctly.

david

Surely, but you are avoiding my main point. I am not addressing the average software, just the people who review and have strong opinions on vinyl players. We have accessible copies of master tapes of excellent recordings and many people own SOTA tape machines in excellent state.

As we are addressing turntables that cost over $100k, I expect that they have a proper reference. Surely MHO, YMMV.

Curiously they never refer comparing it with master tapes played in a top reference machine.

This post seems to refer to ddk and to Johnathan Weiss.

Surely, but you are avoiding my main point. I am not addressing the average software, just the people who review and have strong opinions on vinyl players. We have accessible copies of master tapes of excellent recordings and many people own SOTA tape machines in excellent state.

As we are addressing turntables that cost over $100k, I expect that they have a proper reference. Surely MHO, YMMV.

Now here you seem to be referring to other people. What are you really trying to tell us?

Like @PeterA said it was obvious who you were asking, pose your question directly to Fremer he's a member.

Now here you seem to be referring to other people. What are you really trying to tell us?

Shane
If it's that important to you, go have some fun and search Peter's Natural sound thread and Tangs thread. From memory he said it in one of those.

Nothing wrong with DDK thinking he makes the best turntable.
Apparently it matters to my friends when you write trash about me!

But we digress this thread isn't and shouldn't be about me or AS2000!

david

Last edited:
Reactions: Lagonda
We have accessible copies of master tapes of excellent recordings and many people own SOTA tape machines in excellent state.

Who is “we”? Do you have actual “master tapes of excellent recordings”?

I think that comparing top vinyl replay to top tape replay is interesting, and it may be fun to do that to try to answer the question “which achieves a greater suspension of disbelief?”

But I’m not sure what such a comparison would allow us to deduce about how two top turntables sound versus each other, because I think that tape actually sounds a bit conceptually different than vinyl.

Reactions: Zeotrope

The comment in my post is general - vinyl is processed tape, I consider that it is educational to compare it to the original, particularly at the prices being addressed. Surely people are free to prefer the colored version of the original, what matters most in this hobby are our individual preferences.

And surely I feel the same about using a digital master and comparing it with the equivalent digitally sourced LP.

Who is “we”? Do you have actual “master tapes of excellent recordings”?

Yes, the TapeProject collection and access to few AnalogProduction tapes. I used them to help me evaluating my own gear, unfortunately the tape gear and tapes are currently packed for moving.

I think that comparing top vinyl replay to top tape replay is interesting, and it may be fun to do that to try to answer the question “which achieves a greater suspension of disbelief?”

Not just fun, but highly educational. If you achieve greater suspension of disbelief with a prefer a processed copy than with the original format we can have an interesting debate about why.

But I’m not sure what such a comparison would allow us to deduce about how two top turntables sound versus each other, because I think that tape actually sounds a bit conceptually different than vinyl.
Can you explain better what you are meaning by "conceptually different"?

The comment in my post is general - vinyl is processed tape, I consider that it is educational to compare it to the original, particularly at the prices being addressed. Surely people are free to prefer the colored version of the original, what matters most in this hobby are our individual preferences.

And surely I feel the same about using a digital master and comparing it with the equivalent digitally sourced LP.

As this is about the K3 turntable, are you suggesting it is colored? Do you think Mr. Weiss compared his creation to tape? What about direct to disc on a good turntable versus a tape copy on a good machine?

Reactions: mtemur
Can you explain better what you are meaning by "conceptually different"?

The tape discussion has already thrown this thread off course. Please feel free to start a new thread about tape.

Reactions: mtemur and bonzo75
Those products are copies of copies of master tapes.

Surely. As well as most "master tapes" are copies of master tapes. Addressed since long in the tape forums. But yes, some people considered that a DSD copy of the original master tape was closer to the master than a tape copy ... :eek:

Last edited:
This thread is about a video of a turntable that few have heard. No system videos either. People are commenting about the best turntable claim made by the designer. Not much else to discuss. I wonder what the next video will tell us: the arm, the stand?

The comment and dismissals of idler and belt technology are rather revealing. The challenges can be overcome or ameliorated to large degree.

This thread is about a video of a turntable that few have heard. No system videos either. People are commenting about the best turntable claim made by the designer. Not much else to discuss. I wonder what the next video will tell us: the arm, the stand?

The comment and dismissals of idler and belt technology are rather revealing. The challenges can be overcome or ameliorated to large degree.
There are videos of this table playing at the Munich show. The “stand” is the phono pre I believe.

Reactions: PeterA
Shane

Apparently it matters to my friends when you write trash about me!

But we digress this thread isn't and shouldn't be about me or AS2000!

david

Really David? You wrote worlds best -not anyone else and apparently over and over.
At least own what you wrote instead of insulting me!!

page 76 of Tang's AS2000 thread.

ddk said:
. I keep repeating myself but it’s all about the bass, AS2000, SME 3012-R plus the DST is the ultimate vinyl front end for now, of course IMO & IME.

david

Dave

That is pretty definite statement.

Is this regardless of the music being reproduced? Imo, lite jazz and classical is reasonably easy to reproduce.

Can it also reproduce rock, synth, electronica, reggae and many other musical styles that are not rooted in the 1950's?

XV-1 said:
Dave

That is pretty definite statement.
ddk said:

Yes it is.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing