Need some Lampi help please

Jazzhead

VIP/Donor
Aug 26, 2012
20191229_223125.jpg
Me thinks, the HRS is doing a stellar job and microphony doesn't seem to rear it's head, even with the wick turned up. Wondering if I still need Herbie's rings ?

Reactions: christoph and marty

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Yes...top shelf vinyl is very intimidating. You need to master geometry as a subject...Azimuth, tracking force, effective length, overhang, skating, load capacitance, EQ setting, wow and flutter, shape of needle, step up transformer, low or high compliance, MM or MC or other cart tech, suspension, drive tech, isolation....I could go on for days. Art as much as science.
Very intimidating is having to turn on my computer.
View attachment 60283
Me thinks, the HRS is doing a stellar job and microphony doesn't seem to rear it's head, even with the wick turned up. Wondering if I still need Herbie's rings ?
What is in it Captain?

Reactions: Jazzhead

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
View attachment 60283
Jazzhead, you're getting some of what I heard when I trialled a dozen HRS damping plates in my system. Can you describe further? I'm gonna try a 1/10 cost alternative and see if I replicate the goodness.

Jazzhead

VIP/Donor
Aug 26, 2012
What is in it Captain?[/QUOTE]

Swaadeekhap Than , proprietary polymer mix and billet machined aircraft aluminium is what it says

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
View attachment 60283
Did you ever try a simple doorstop for this purpose?

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
View attachment 60283

Honesty, I don't understand the hesitation. You paid big bucks for the DAC, over a grand for the HRS and you have trouble with 30 bucks for a damping ring? You've damped the chassis nicely but sound is still hitting the tube directly (unless your unit is in another room), and the louder you play, the more microphony the tube generates, so the answer is, yes, they are essential. Also, if I understand correctly, you can return them within 60 days if you are not happy for any reason. That's a hard offer to turn down.

Jazzhead

VIP/Donor
Aug 26, 2012
Jazzhead, you're getting some of what I heard when I trialled a dozen HRS damping plates in my system. Can you describe further? I'm gonna try a 1/10 cost alternative and see if I replicate the goodness.
Hi Spirit, provides for a richer palate , a more denser image with better control and less smearing of notes with no loss of energy. Wholly positive in my experience. I have a number of these and the results have always been consistently positive in every application.

Last edited:

Jazzhead

VIP/Donor
Aug 26, 2012
Honesty, I don't understand the hesitation. You paid big bucks for the DAC, over a grand for the HRS and you have trouble with 30 bucks for a damping ring? You've damped the chassis nicely but sound is still hitting the tube directly (unless your unit is in another room), and the louder you play, the more microphony the tube generates, so the answer is, yes, they are essential. Also, if I understand correctly, you can return them within 60 days if you are not happy for any reason. That's a hard offer to turn down.
Thanks for chiming in Marty , is not so much the cost as the exercise of sourcing them that gives me a pause. I shall make the effort though, it seems worthwhile going by your experience.

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Swaadeekhap Than , proprietary polymer mix and billet machined aircraft aluminium is what it says
I had to look that one up. Good one! ;)

Marty, did you try to place a doorstop on your GG2 to dampen the top plate?
A very inexpensive way to see if dampen thr top plate is working for you.
The doorstop uses rubber instead of a proprietary polymer mix and steel instead of aircraft aluminum but for one hundredth of the price, it should be worth a try ;)

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
Marty, did you try to place a doorstop on your GG2 to dampen the top plate?
A very inexpensive way to see if dampen thr top plate is working for you.
The doorstop uses rubber instead of a proprietary polymer mix and steel instead of aircraft aluminum but for one hundredth of the price, it should be worth a try ;)

I like the doorstop approach but they are angular, and we all know we want a round sound, not an angular sound o_O. Seriously, the doorstop is a bit light, even though the price is right. There are plenty of small light rubberized bricks, lightly rubberized 1-3 lb hex dumbbells, or small round rubberized barbell plates that can be found on Amazon.

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Last edited:

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
I like the doorstop approach but they are angular, and we all know we want a round sound, not an angular sound o_O. Seriously, the doorstop is a bit light, even though the price is right. There are plenty of small light rubberized bricks, lightly rubberized 1-3 lb hex dumbbells, or small round rubberized barbell plates that can be found on Amazon.

Marty

do you remember the Artesania weights Philip O'Hanlon uses on top of his gear. Very very heavy. Philip uses them on all of his components

ces1277-fileminimizer.jpg

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Looking at rubber/metal jewellers bench blocks, 4" square, as an alternative to HRS Damping Plates. System wide, 1/10 the cost.

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Looking at rubber/metal jewellers bench blocks, 4" square, as an alternative to HRS Damping Plates. System wide, 1/10 the cost.
My doorstop costs a tenner ;)

christoph

Dec 11, 2015

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
Telephone directories work well but lookswise? Hm.

But a decent sized well bound book on an appropriate subject? You just might decide it's cool.

Then again...

Redphu

Sep 24, 2018
Going off tangent a bit, getting greedy with sound improvement from the PACIFIC BAL and looking to upgrade my Krell phantom preamp (ditching the stereo/HT hybrid build). The harshness from the Focals Is gone and now there’s texture and an overall softness. Looking for recommendation on preamps as I know members here have first hand experience. Here by list so far

Virgo III
Momentum
CJ GAT V2

I listen to pretty much everything except orchestral pieces and opera. Thanks guys.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing