Need some Lampi help please

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Going off tangent a bit, getting greedy with sound improvement from the PACIFIC BAL and looking to upgrade my Krell phantom preamp (ditching the stereo/HT hybrid build). The harshness from the Focals Is gone and now there’s texture and an overall softness. Looking for recommendation on preamps as I know members here have first hand experience. Here by list so far

Virgo III
Momentum
CJ GAT V2

I listen to pretty much everything except orchestral pieces and opera. Thanks guys.

Find one that works with the 242. Analog domain and audionet stern do. In fact the 242 Pac into am audionet stern is the great source I have heard

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Ked, doesn't Emile of Taiko run the Stern? You're loving yr SS preamps. First the Symphonic Line Kraft, then Soulution, now this Stern.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Ked, doesn't Emile of Taiko run the Stern? You're loving yr SS preamps. First the Symphonic Line Kraft, then Soulution, now this Stern.

Kraft is a poweramp, that I recommend as excellent value for something like apogees.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Ah, thought there was a pre too. My bad.

Carlos269

Mar 21, 2012
3:48 am and I have to force myself to go to bed. Based on a rather traumatic sales experience that I won't detail here, I thought it would be impossible to overcome my expectation bias that the Lampi would be less than I had hoped it would be. What I was not prepared for was how quickly I would become a fan. I've had it for 3 days and the first night was worthless. Night 2 was minimally better but it was a listening experience that could have been bettered by 2 Dixie cups and a string. So I had low hopes for tonight. I was wrong. Very wrong About 2 hours in, all of a sudden thing started to blossom. The bass got tighter and things continued steadily from there until at some point at the 4 hour mark, it became about the music and not the sound of the Lampi or the system. It was one of those rare nights. I couldn't stop listening. I wanted to play everything that was on any playlist I ever made!

Honestly, I really wanted to dislike this thing and already made inquiries into the REX BAT DAC (digital by Andreas Koch, tube analog output by Victor Khomenko). But I am dropping that like a hot potato. The Lampi is special, no doubt about it. I have never heard digital like this. It not only layers sound in space but I swear, in time. It's still breaking in and is hardly perfect but it's so easy to look past that and enjoy listening. It truly is in rarified air. I'm embarrassed to admit this but part of me really wanted those Lampi nut jobs (you know who you are) who think Lampi is a religion to be wrong! But I understand their conviction now and I think I just joined their church.

You can add me to the LampizatOr fan club or cult. I recently acquired a very special one of a kind LampizatOr DSD DAC with the latest DSD512 engine, super clock upgrade, upgraded to a larger rectifier tube, reworked output stage, reworked grounding, updated tube heater circuit, update Amanero Combo384 board/module firmware and ASIO driver, Symposium Acoustics / Rollerblocks mounted on the unit and re-voiced by Lukasz at LampizatOr and wow! This LampizatOr DSD only DAC sounds so organic and analogue that it has displaced my previous T&A DAC8 DSD dac in one of my reference systems. I thought that the extra “liquidity” for lack of a better word would come at the expense of the ultimate in detail and precision that the T&A DAC8 DSD dac renders but I’m not so sure that the LampizatOr is less detailed at this point. Will also eventually will need to do a head to head shootout with my Digital Audio Denmark AX24, currently in one of my re-mastering systems, but at this point I’m just enjoying the sound quality and “musicality” of this very special one of a kind LampizatOr DSD DAC. It seems like all the various options offered allow the LampizatOr DACs, voiced by Lukasz, to be one of a kind musical instruments rather than assembly line products and each have their special character, in addition to capabilities to allow their sound to be tailored through tube rolling. The tubes most definitely contribute to the “religion” but the design and component selection offered or selected by Lukasz serve to tune these very enjoyable musical instruments.

Last edited:

Jazzhead

VIP/Donor
Aug 26, 2012
The tubes I got from Fred were the KR bulb shaped tubes. The RK KR 242's are square shaped. What's interesting about both is that nobody really knows why they are called 242's as they do not have the same specs as the granddaddy WE242 from which they supposedly derived their name.

Just like the RK KR 5U4G "SE", the square-shaped RK version of the KR 242 SE are available from best300b.com. Both of these "SE" versions have thicker glass (less microphony?), high vacuum, better anode materials and some other feature differences. The question is whether they sound better. My understanding is that for the rectifier, they supposedly do. I have one on order. For the 242, I think the jury is still out. Until I know for sure, you'll have to pry the 242s I received from Fred from my cold dead hands before I replace them with anything.

By the way User 211, you can't talk about the tube microphony you are experiencing until you add Herbie's tube rings. They are transformational. Also, although the size "50" is fine for the 242, I would get the size "55" or "60" for the KR 5U4G as its diameter is about 2.45 inches (by calipers) so Herbie's recommendation is a bit off for size. You won't be prepared what $40 will do for quieting the microphony of the Lampi tubes.

Marty , is it the Halo-lll Stabilizer model that you are referring to ?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Reactions: abeidrov and Golum

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
They sound boring. Probably the most boring
Thanks Ked! I just wanted to write those exact words but would just add dull...:D

Reactions: bonzo75

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
They sound boring. Probably the most boring

You do know that is just an opinion and not fact, right? In my Big 7 MKII the Tak 300s are by far the best DHTs.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
You do know that is just an opinion and not fact, right? In my Big 7 MKII the Tak 300s are by far the best DHTs.

Yes but you have not compared all the valves. No offence but I think someone who likes Tak likes midrange bloom and forward color, a fake density, to the sound. I have never heard it sound otherwise, whether in a Lampi or in an amp (I do appreciate different valves can sound different in different Lampi set ups, but this one has been consistent. At least Elrog 300b is now transparent to recordings in amps, though I never liked it in Lampi either)

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
Yes but you have not compared all the valves. No offence but I think someone who likes Tak likes midrange bloom and forward color, a fake density, to the sound. I have never heard it sound otherwise, whether in a Lampi or in an amp (I do appreciate different valves can sound different in different Lampi set ups, but this one has been consistent. At least Elrog 300b is now transparent to recordings in amps, though I never liked it in Lampi either)

So my opinion of how it sounds in my system is because I like midrange bloom and fake desnity? That's pretty offensive and makes you sound like your opinion carries more weight. Do you not realize that this is all subjective? You make it seem like there is an absolute.

When have you listened to a Big 7 MKII which has the specific upgrades that mine has? What was the associated equipment?

I have listened to:

Tak 300Bs
Elrog 300Bs
KR PX25s
Sylvania 6A3s
Tung Sol 6A3
101Ds (stock)
Cunningham 45s

The Tak 300Bs are by far the nicest sounding to me in my system.

What have you listened to in your system?

Reactions: christoph

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
So my opinion of how it sounds in my system is because I like midrange bloom and fake desnity? That's pretty offensive and makes you sound like your opinion carries more weight. Do you not realize that this is all subjective? You make it seem like there is an absolute.

When have you listened to a Big 7 MKII which has the specific upgrades that mine has? What was the associated equipment?

I have listened to:

Tak 300Bs
Elrog 300Bs
KR PX25s
Sylvania 6A3s
Tung Sol 6A3
101Ds (stock)
Cunningham 45s

The Tak 300Bs are by far the nicest sounding to me in my system.

What have you listened to in your system?

I owned the big 7 before I upgraded to the GG. I have owned all those valves except the Tak and the Cunningham (the Cunningham I have compared at Justin's) and the Tak in two Alieno power amps and Al's big 7. I owned 6a3 as well. For 300b, the full music, Sylvania, JJ, are not even worth mentioning unless someone listens to girl on guitar. I still own 242, PX25, and Lampi 45s which I will never sell. And AD1. I even compared my 242 to three other pairs and there are differences ;)

I have compared more valves than those listed there. I owned the big 7 shortly after it first came out (Justin owns the first). All my compares have been documented over the years. Even the 242 and PX25 raved about now were mentioned by me roughly three years ago.

You and I had a similar debate over Etna. You realized its shortcoming?

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
I owned the big 7 before I upgraded to the GG. I have owned all those valves except the Tak and the Cunningham (the Cunningham I have compared at Justin's) and the Tak in two Alieno power amps and Al's big 7. I owned 6a3 as well. For 300b, the full music, Sylvania, JJ, are not even worth mentioning unless someone listens to girl on guitar. I still own 242, PX25, and Lampi 45s which I will never sell. And AD1. I even compared my 242 to three other pairs and there are differences ;)

I have compared more valves than those listed there. I owned the big 7 shortly after it first came out (Justin owns the first). All my compares have been documented over the years. Even the 242 and PX25 raved about now were mentioned by me roughly three years ago.

You and I had a similar debate over Etna. You realized its shortcoming?

The Big 7 MKII is a completely different sounding DAC than the stock Big 7. Second, I am sure my server is different than the one you have listened to since I built my own.

I have no doubt that you like different tubes than I do. My issue is that you think there is an absolute to the sound of these DACs. You are basically saying that what I am hearing is either wrong or flawed.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
The Big 7 MKII is a completely different sounding DAC than the stock Big 7. Second, I am sure my server is different than the one you have listened to since I built my own.

I have no doubt that you like different tubes than I do. My issue is that you think there is an absolute to the sound of these DACs. You are basically saying that what I am hearing is either wrong or flawed.

The reason I keep 3 - 4 pairs is that I know there is not an absolute fit. But there are some consistencies. 300bs are consistently boring. PX4s are better than 300bs but have never been the best. Among 242, PX25, and Lampi 45, one of them would consistently top the others in all systems - sometimes it could be the PX25, sometimes, the Lampi 45, and so on. However, when the 242 fits in, the Lampi sounds the best. We can discuss preference after you experience a good 242 set up, a good PX25 set up, and a good Lampi 45 set up. If you tell me I heard a 242 sounding great and I still prefer my Tak, I will accept we have different preferences. You can easily travel to Al and tube roll, or Marty's based on where you are located. Till then, you are discussing based on the limitations of your set up and budget as obviously you cannot roll all valves and matching preamps through.

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
The reason I keep 3 - 4 pairs is that I know there is not an absolute fit. But there are some consistencies. 300bs are consistently boring. PX4s are better than 300bs but have never been the best. Among 242, PX25, and Lampi 45, one of them would consistently top the others in all systems - sometimes it could be the PX25, sometimes, the Lampi 45, and so on. However, when the 242 fits in, the Lampi sounds the best. We can discuss preference after you experience a good 242 set up, a good PX25 set up, and a good Lampi 45 set up. If you tell me I heard a 242 sounding great and I still prefer my Tak, I will accept we have different preferences. You can easily travel to Al and tube roll, or Marty's based on where you are located. Till then, you are discussing based on the limitations of your set up and budget as obviously you cannot roll all valves and matching preamps through.

I thought the PX25s sounded horrible in my system.

So, what you have written is fact and not opinion?

What makes you think my system has limitations?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I thought the PX25s sounded horrible in my system.

So, what you have written is fact and not opinion?

What makes you think my system has limitations?

I did say PX25 doesn't work in all systems. When you tube roll in other systems, you will find the limitations your system has.

Reactions: dminches

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Very simply, do you think you can give all carts a fair trial in your system if you had only one tonearm and one phono?

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
I did say PX25 doesn't work in all systems. When you tube roll in other systems, you will find the limitations your system has.

In reality, that is irrelevant since I am only listening to my system.

How do you know it is not those other systems that have the limitations?

I am done with this. If you want to think that your opinion is more than an opinion feel free.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
In reality, that is irrelevant since I am only listening to my system.

How do you know it is not those other systems that have the limitations?

I am done with this. If you want to think that your opinion is more than an opinion feel free.

Because you will never understand then what your Lampi can achieve. Just like you wouldn't know what your spreakers are capable of until you heard them with various amps. Or what your TT is capable of until you listen to it with different combinations of carts and arms and phonos. Of course, certain things are difficult to change, such as changing your room for your speakers. But optimizjng a Lampi is one of the easiest things you can do due to the space and budget required. But you have to know first what are the different sonic levels it can achieve based on matching of valves and downstream electronics.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing