Need some Lampi help please

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
That's exactly what I prefer right now. Seems boring to just have a trio of Taks!
Boring because it can be the end of the search ;):cool:

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
Anyone knows how this one compares to KR 5U4G by any chance?
Maybe like this - you have a wife and she wakes up in the morning cranky, screaming, shouting (lets for the sake of argument call it dynamic) and on the opposite side of scale you have a wife who wakes up in the morning being nice, polite, relaxed. And by the way both of them are beautiful and overall great and you love them.

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Maybe like this - you have a wife and she wakes up in the morning cranky, screaming, shouting (lets for the sake of argument call it dynamic) and on the opposite side of scale you have a wife who wakes up in the morning being nice, polite, relaxed. And by the way both of them are beautiful and overall great and you love them.

I think this analogy doesn't do both recties justice :oops:

IME they are both excellent rectifiers but I prefer the Takatsuki 274B over the RK 5u4g (RK=Riccardo Kron version) over the KR 5u4g over "the rest" I have heard so far.
I hope to get the highly recommended PSvane 274b ACME version soon to have another option as the Taka 274b is so damned expensive :eek:

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
I think this analogy doesn't do both recties justice :oops:

IME they are both excellent rectifiers but I prefer the Takatsuki 274B over the RK 5u4g (RK=Riccardo Kron version) over the KR 5u4g over "the rest" I have heard so far.
I hope to get the highly recommended PSvane 274b ACME version soon to have another option as the Taka 274b is so damned expensive :eek:
Well in my book it does...depends how you read the things...;)

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com

Fair enough, but which one's which :p ? 5U4G the feisty one?

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
I heard when you reach the third phase of imminent trancedance (i.e. you are running Tesla AD1), rectis are like, a moot point. Even the worst choice won't put you below any other configuration in whatever Lampi exists, has existed and is yet to come.;)

Even women will find you a lot more attractive. Fancy that.

Merry Xmas all:)

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
I heard when you reach the third phase of imminent trancedance (i.e. you are running Tesla AD1), rectis are like, a moot point. Even the worst choice won't put you below any other configuration in whatever Lampi exists, has existed and is yet to come.
And what are you dreaming when you are sleeping? :rolleyes:

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Well in my book it does...depends how you read the things...;)
IME the RK 5u4g is NOT shouty and screaming but rather very transparent with great dynamics and excellent taut bass while the Taka is definitely NOT (overly) polite and NOT laid back but rather VERY 3D with (reach around) palpability with a visceral bass and mids to die for. VERY musical and organic.
BTW. I have a new No. 2 rectifier tube: the PSvane 274b ACME :cool:

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
IME the RK 5u4g is NOT shouty and screaming but rather very transparent with great dynamics and excellent taut bass while the Taka is definitely NOT (overly) polite and NOT laid back but rather VERY 3D with (reach around) palpability with a visceral bass and mids to die for. VERY musical and organic.
BTW. I have a new No. 2 rectifier tube: the PSvane 274b ACME :cool:

IME the RK 5u4g is NOT shouty and screaming but rather very transparent with great dynamics and excellent taut bass while the Taka is definitely NOT (overly) polite and NOT laid back but rather VERY 3D with (reach around) palpability with a visceral bass and mids that to me sounds forced and colored and exists on every recording played through the TAK

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
And what are you dreaming when you are sleeping? :rolleyes:

I'd put my DAC with AD1 in it up against your Pacific with any KR or EML you like in it and I would expect it to win.

That's what I am talkin' bout.

Now get that Pac over here now, and I'll show you what I mean.

Merry Xmas Christoph. Keep dreamin'.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I'd put my DAC with AD1 in it up against your Pacific with any KR or EML you like in it and I would expect it to win.

That's what I am talkin' bout.

Now get that Pac over here now, and I'll show you what I mean.

Merry Xmas Christoph. Keep dreamin'.

Justin, you should just leave your place in your fancy car and drive around to see what other Lampis do with other valves in different systems. I have yet to see any source equal the 242 Lampi at heihei's that I heard that day.

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
Got a wry grin on my face... nowt like a bit of competition;)

Don't take me too seriously just having some fun, but I reckon you'd be surprised.

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
Justin, you should just leave your place in your fancy car and drive around to see what other Lampis do with other valves in different systems. I have yet to see any source equal the 242 Lampi at heihei's that I heard that day.

We could put 4 AD1 in that same Pac. That would be interesting.

Anyway that was the same Pac you were adamant sounded bad a while ago. Which is strange, you have to admit. A case some amazing synergy fluke?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
We could put 4 AD1 in that same Pac. That would be interesting.

Anyway that was the same Pac you were adamant sounded bad a while ago. Which is strange, you have to admit. A case some amazing synergy fluke?

Well yes there is a lot of gain synergy playing a role here. It worked great with PX25 too but like GG once it works with 242 it went up multiple times. The reason I keep asking you to go out and check is that because you always listen at your place you have not appreciated this gain synergy role between valves and Lampi. Maybe after I bring my GG over and it works totally differently to what it did in your previous pre you will see

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
As I said the Lux pre will take really high output no problem. So that will be interesting.

When you come I hope there's some good radio on. If there is, my Scott 350B is sounding brilliant with the Lux gear. Remind me if I forget. But when the radio program is good it really is surprisingly good, if rose tinted coloured.

Redphu

Sep 24, 2018
Took delivery the Pacific last night. I fired it up this afternoon and left the house with music playing. Just now sitting down to have a listen, AFUCKINGMAZING. Truly a new level of enjoyment and overcome with that happy giddiness, overjoy feeling. No need to change my speakers as I was contemplating. I'm using the PX 25 tubes over USB. Lukazs has offered the RK 300s. What to do? Also can someone tell me how to use the ground on the rear panel.

One little gripe I do have, given the high gloss gold offering, why is it that I have numerous long scratches and white/silvery smudges on the surfaces and selector knob? And no I can't wipe the marks off. Am I being too anal? Anyone else experience this?

Reactions: christoph and Golum

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
I'm using the PX 25 tubes over USB. Lukazs has offered the RK 300s. What to do?
Sit, enjoy and forget about those 300s. Maybe at some point think about 242 to have another flavor or if you want to invest then Taka 300b. More then those you won’t need to be in the constant state of bliss;):)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing