Need some Lampi help please

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Took delivery the Pacific last night. I fired it up this afternoon and left the house with music playing. Just now sitting down to have a listen, AFUCKINGMAZING. Truly a new level of enjoyment and overcome with that happy giddiness, overjoy feeling. No need to change my speakers as I was contemplating. I'm using the PX 25 tubes over USB. Lukazs has offered the RK 300s. What to do? Also can someone tell me how to use the ground on the rear panel.

One little gripe I do have, given the high gloss gold offering, why is it that I have numerous long scratches and white/silvery smudges on the surfaces and selector knob? And no I can't wipe the marks off. Am I being too anal? Anyone else experience this?

No, I think you’re not being too anal. A brand new component should not have any scratches on it; it should be aesthetically perfect.

These components are very expensive, and we can be as anal as we want to be in the perfectionism department.

Reactions: ingemar

Redphu

Sep 24, 2018
@Golum

Appreciate your wise words. Thank you much. Bliss indeed.

@ Ron

Glad you don't think me crazy whiny ; )

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Why cant you Lampi experts be in agreement on a freakin tube to make a potential Lampi owner life a little easier.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Why cant you Lampi experts be in agreement on a freakin tube to make a potential Lampi owner life a little easier.

We are. 242 and then PX25 and Lampi 45s.

Rest is mostly just Justin posting

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
Where is the fun in that? Eml300bxls is supposed to be good too, And Justin preaches about the vintage ad1. Personally on some music I think the 6a3 is great and the vintage 45s too. Before my tube died, I really enjoyed the vintage WE 101d.

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Where is the fun in that? Eml300bxls is supposed to be good too, And Justin preaches about the vintage ad1. Personally on some music I think the 6a3 is great and the vintage 45s too. Before my tube died, I really enjoyed the vintage WE 101d.
Ok. Keep on rollin baby. :cool:

dminches

Oct 22, 2011

Says the man that has 2 turntables (Or 3), 5 or 6 tone arms and the same number of cartridges! :p:p

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
We are. 242 and then PX25 and Lampi 45s.

Rest is mostly just Justin posting

Maybe in a Pacific or GG2 but not a Big 7.

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
Remind me your fav tubes again?

(Right now) they are the Tak trio of 300B and 274B. I also really like the Sylvania 6A3.

Reactions: christoph

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
I reckon from all the posts PX25 is your best bet on average in anything i.e. Big 7, GG any version and Pac.

We will be checking out vintage AD1 in GG soon.

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
Heihei does...for example. Lend him a pair.

Last edited:

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
We are. 242 and then PX25 ......

Tang,
I agree w Ked. As to be expected, flavors vary depending on your unit and your system. But there is broad acceptance that the KR 242 and the RK KR PX25 are perhaps the preferred output tubes and the RK KR 5U4G is an excellent rectifier although the 274 rectifier is also highly regarded (and sitting on my shelf awaiting trial). However, no matter what you wish to evaluate in the Lampi world, the options are rather simple compared to the sheer morass that confronts the typical audiophile in deciding upon the many TT's, cartridges and arms that are available which can render you comatose before you achieve audio nirvana. In addition, the cost of entry to evaluate all of 4 different tube types is a pittance by comparison to the analog world and you don't need a stack of cards to figure out how to put a tube in a socket. :cool:
Marty

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
Yes...top shelf vinyl is very intimidating. You need to master geometry as a subject...Azimuth, tracking force, effective length, overhang, skating, load capacitance, EQ setting, wow and flutter, shape of needle, step up transformer, low or high compliance, MM or MC or other cart tech, suspension, drive tech, isolation....I could go on for days. Art as much as science.

Reactions: dminches

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
Yes...top shelf vinyl is very intimidating. You need to master geometry as a subject...Azimuth, tracking force, effective length, overhang, skating, load capacitance, EQ setting, wow and flutter, shape of needle, step up transformer, low or high compliance, MM or MC or other cart tech, suspension, drive tech, isolation....I could go on for days. Art as much as science.

Agree completely. I for one do not buy into the assumption that you can optimally set VTA correctly if the quantitation is limited to 250 microns, which is the approximate thickness of a playing card. I think you need resolution that is in the 50 micron range to really optimize that setting. Now one might think that's just OCD in excelsis, and in fact that might be true. However sadly, even if true, it still doesn't account for the differences in LP's that we all surely play. I know a few people who actually change VTA with standard vs 180gm vs 200 gm records but since I do not, it's still a hard reality that once again, "good is the enemy of perfect." Fortunately, good enough is sonically quite good and very pleasing, even though I know it may not be "perfect". And as far as azimuth and tracking force? Don't get me started.

Reactions: wisnon

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing