Most Effective Use Of Surround Sound

Jun 17, 2011
White Rock, New Mexico
HI All,
I apologize if this has been done before. I'm looking for the best surround sound (Dolby 5.1 or DTS; it makes no difference) tracks. Actually, this might be better worded as the most effective use of surround sound. And since a great sound track is rather empty without a great movie attached, I would like you to include your own movie rating (1 to 4). It doesn't have to be more complicated than that.

I'll start:
Sound track: Master and Commander; Movie Rating: 4
Sound track: House of Flying Daggers; Movie Rating: 4
Sound track: Black Hawk Down; Movie Rating: 3 1/2

What say you?

Sparky

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Band of Brothers has amazing surround sound effects.

Jun 17, 2011
White Rock, New Mexico
HI John and Lee,
Thanks for your response. Are your movies any good beside the sound tracks? How about older movies? Any good sound tracks among these?

Sparky

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
HI John and Lee,
Thanks for your response. Are your movies any good beside the sound tracks? How about older movies? Any good sound tracks among these?

Sparky

I enjoyed Band of Brothers quite a lot actually, but you can judge for yourself with this review. I also quite enjoyed the 3 Bourne movies.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
'Pandorum' has a great & effective surround sound audio track too (5.1 Dolby TrueHD).

Jun 17, 2011
White Rock, New Mexico
I enjoyed Band of Brothers quite a lot actually, but you can judge for yourself with this review. I also quite enjoyed the 3 Bourne movies.

HI John,
Yeah, I enjoyed the Bourne movies too. But, I have to be in the right mood. The non-stop action leaves me breathless. I like to watch them back to back to back which is something like running a marathon.

Sparky

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
An old movie, Jurassic Park. Swirling sound all over. What's more terrifying than foot stomps of a T-Rex while you're a few yards away? Turn on the subs! ;) Movie rating - 2.5.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
HI John,
Yeah, I enjoyed the Bourne movies too. But, I have to be in the right mood. The non-stop action leaves me breathless. I like to watch them back to back to back which is something like running a marathon.

Sparky

Hi Sparky,

Haha! And High 5! That's exactly what I do and seems like the best way to watch them!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing