Modern speakers vs Vintage speakers

Sorry no video's, however thought I would share a few pictures of my company's newest interest.... Vintage meets Modern.....It's an Altec Valencia/Model 19 Tribute....We are also working on a Statement product featuring Horn/Waveguide's (Yuichi) in the Mid and Treble, with large bass reflex bins...will require tri- amping with DSP.
Cheers....

Attachments

• 20231201_130139_kindlephoto-49750469.jpg
    20231201_130139_kindlephoto-49750469.jpg
    602.3 KB · Views: 34
  • 20231201_130054_kindlephoto-49791448.jpg
    20231201_130054_kindlephoto-49791448.jpg
    412 KB · Views: 36
  • 20231129_122646_kindlephoto-49844331.jpg
    20231129_122646_kindlephoto-49844331.jpg
    581 KB · Views: 35
  • 20231201_125914_kindlephoto-49814156.jpg
    20231201_125914_kindlephoto-49814156.jpg
    446.7 KB · Views: 29
  • 20231201_210424.jpg
    20231201_210424.jpg
    671.5 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
indeed an interesting read, however...I'm much more interested in what WE thought about the subject prior to using permanenent magnets and smaller enclosures...

Reactions: thomask and hopkins

I was back to AV Plaza at Seoul, Korea to listen to Magico M9 again today.

It is a very nice speaker but need more work with amp and Dac matching to get the optimal sound.

Last edited:
Reactions: treitz3

M9 is an all round player covering classical. jazz or even hard rock.

20231125_121042-2.jpg

The basement of the building that I own at Seoul, Korea is vacant right now.

It is 30 ft wide, 50 ft deep and 14ft high.

Thus suitable for large and heavy speaker like M9.

But then I have to move back to Seoul. ;)

My wooden structure house in Washington State could not hold heavy speaker like M9.

Last edited:
Reactions: leyenda
Reactions: thomask

I visited one of die hard vintage audiophile living in Korea yesterday.

He is 70 years old electric engineer who had collected more than 100 vintage gears but sold some of them as hobby.

His listening room on top of his factory building is large, 35ft w 60 ft deep 15ft high.

WE 16A horn 555W driver

Jensen PLJ PLM 18 double woofer

Tad 2001 tweeter.

Power amp is Westrex a11

Pre amp was built by him.

The source is vinyl with some strange ticking noise.

I will upload more videos from other speaekrs in the room.
Any chance you could tell me which recording this is? Was it the 1964 or 1974 recording?
Thanks much,
Don

I was back to AV Plaza at Seoul, Korea to listen to Magico M9 again today.

It is a very nice speaker but need more work with amp and Dac matching to get the optimal sound.

It sounds dry to me. I think it's the electronics.

I'd love to hear something like Jadis JA200s on the M9s for a different perspective.

Reactions: fizzletop

I visited one of die hard vintage audiophile living in Korea yesterday.

He is 70 years old electric engineer who had collected more than 100 vintage gears but sold some of them as hobby.

His listening room on top of his factory building is large, 35ft w 60 ft deep 15ft high.

WE 16A horn 555W driver

Jensen PLJ PLM 18 double woofer

Tad 2001 tweeter.

Power amp is Westrex a11

Pre amp was built by him.

The source is vinyl with some strange ticking noise.

I will upload more videos from other speaekrs in the room.

A different Mahler 2

It sounds dry to me. I think it's the electronics.

I'd love to hear something like Jadis JA200s on the M9s for a different perspective.
I do not like CH Dac which sounds rather dry.

Wadax or MSB Dac will work better.

Wadax and CH amp worked well to drive Goebel at Pacific Audiofest 2022.

But Ch Dac and amp failed to work well with Goebel on Seoul Audioshow 2023.

It sounds dry.

I asked whether Jadis 500 will work well with M9.

The shop person replied that it will generate too much heat.

Jadis 200 will not have enough power to drive M9.

Last edited:
Any chance you could tell me which recording this is? Was it the 1964 or 1974 recording?
Thanks much,
Don

NY Phil 1988 seems to be the one he is playing, DGG digital

Reactions: No Regrets
I don't like that so much. Did you listen to the other video posted?
No, I haven't had the opportunity yet. I'm not able to listen at the present time, only read :( I will though as soon as I have the opportunity.
Which recording/pressing is your favorite of this work?

Best wishes,
Don

until now my fave is Kubelik's version with the Bavarian RSO, Norma Procter and Edith Mathis.
I've yet to hear the RCO version with Klaus Makala (think it was not programmed yet, keeping my eyes peeled) but I was so thrilled by the performance of Mahler 3rd by Makala and the RCO that I'm betting it may become a new favorite once performed. I do like his version with the Olso Philharmonic and the snippet I saw from Paris makes me want more!

Ah, thank you Kedar! I just ordered .....

Mahler*, Janet Baker - Sheila Armstrong - Edinburgh Festival Chorus, London Symphony Orchestra*, Leonard Bernstein – Symphonie No. 2 "Resurrection"​

on a NM 1974 German CBS pressing. I'm hoping it will be good :)

Best wishes,
Don
I just ordered

Gustav Mahler - Edith Mathis, Norma Procter, Chor Des Bayerischen Rundfunks, Symphonie-Orchester Des Bayerischen Rundfunks, Rafael Kubelik – Symphonie Nr. 2 (Auferstehungs-Symphonie · Resurrection)​

It’s a NM 1969 German pressing. I’m hoping this will be a good performance/recording

I haven’t received the one above as of yet. I actually ordered that one in hast late at night thinking it was the NYO from the 60’s. I shouldn’t buy when I’m tired, lol.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing