Microphone Set-up for Audio System Recordings

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Does anyone have an experience-based opinion on whether, using two mono mics on a mic bar, I should use mics with a cardioid or with an omnidirectional polar radiation pattern?

(Not knowing anything about this I would think cardioid, simply because human ears are more sensitive in front and less sensitive from behind the head -- ears are not omnidirectional.)

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I was thinking of something like this Styrofoam Jeff Bezos head:

60E6285E-EF7C-4BD8-8BCC-DEAF253499DD.jpeg

I could experiment and see if stereo separation sounds better with or without the head between the microphones.

Last edited:

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I believe the Shure does output analog.

Thank you for the suggestion. But I feel that I want a more traditional microphone. That one is too techy and digital for me.

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
I much prefer to read an interview than hear one.
Ron, do you plan to transcribe the interviews?

Is this your own project or in conjunction with a publication?

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I much prefer to read an interview than hear one.
Ron, do you plan to transcribe the interviews?

Is this your own project or in conjunction with a publication?

No, I will not be transcribing the interviews. These videos will not be the hour long sleep-aid videos I personally hate to watch.

This project is in conjunction with and part of WBF.

Reactions: bazelio

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
No, I will not be transcribing the interviews. These videos will not be the hour long sleep-aid videos I personally hate to watch.

This project is in conjunction with and part of WBF.

Ron, have you spoken to members/audiophiles who want to sit for such interviews and have their systems recorded? What is driving the interest in this project?

Blue58

Jan 20, 2013
London, UK
Not analogue out but a simple setup for recording using iPad Pro and Apogee Mic+

not perfect as it sounds a touch more strident than in real life.

Attachments

• A7A87BB0-DB11-4B49-97E7-EE060869BB92.jpeg
    A7A87BB0-DB11-4B49-97E7-EE060869BB92.jpeg
    650.3 KB · Views: 2
Reactions: Ron Resnick

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Ron, have you spoken to members/audiophiles who want to sit for such interviews and have their systems recorded? What is driving the interest in this project?

No, I have not spoken with any member/audiophile who wants to sit for an interview and have his/her system recorded.

But there is no obligation to have an interview; there is no obligation to record the system. If a member/audiophile would like an interview but no system recording, or a system recording but no interview, that is fine with me.

I think the number of systems displayed on Audiogon by their owners is circumstantial evidence that members/audiophiles would find this fun to participate in.

Steve, Julian and I are hoping that members/audiphiles will enjoy the expansion to video and sound recording of the written reports about the visits to audiophiles I have been publishing for the last several years.

Reactions: bazelio

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Not analogue out but a simple setup for recording using iPad Pro and Apogee Mic+

not perfect as it sounds a touch more strident than in real life.

Is Apogee Mic+ a single stereo mic?

Blue58

Jan 20, 2013
London, UK

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Another candidate:

The Earthworks QTC40 omni-directional uses a tiny diaphragm for flat frequency response and fast transient response.

4C6A6899-B052-410E-B131-59EA094E394C.jpeg

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I have been thinking about two monaural mics with cardioid radiation patterns about 10 inches apart on a microphone bar. The microphones would be approximately where a listener would naturally sit when listening to music in front of a system.

In the scenario in this photograph, each monaural microphone -- with an omnidirectional polar radiation pattern -- is close to and directly in front of each speaker.

9095ED92-CD38-498D-9616-C11F4A9D157A.jpeg

Would the recording engineers here please weigh in on which recording technique is more likely to authentically replicate what a listener would hear in the listening position when my recording is played back on their stereo systems?

Perhaps the separated microphone technique in the photo is more analogous to recording live music? When one records an orchestra the microphones are not in the seating area for the audience . . .

Is the analogy here one of recording live music (but in this case from a playing stereo instead of playing musicians), or one of recording a stereo system as though the listener were sitting in the room listening to the playing stereo which is being recorded?

What do you think?

Last edited:
Reactions: bazelio and Folsom

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
So maybe the question is whether you want to account for the room. But also what are your patience for setup like? How much gear would you like to carry?

I was listening to vidoes of the 3Dio and it's pretty neat. I'd probably try putting closed cell foam between the mics or something cut out to block a bit more sound from one side to the other. But also I'd want to see some graphs to see if it needs correction to be applied/how good it is.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Thank you for thinking about this. I cannot figure out if the 3Dio microphones embedded in the "ears" are of the same quality as the standalone microphones I have been researching.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I hope it works out great for you!

I am just not loving its frequency response chart compared to other mics I am evaluating, above:

0809B209-218F-46D5-93C7-5CBCADB52FFB.jpeg

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing