bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Please enjoy my interview with Michael Hobson, Founder of Classic Records, on October 14, 2022.

Please subscribe to the What's Best Forum channel on YouTube.

thanks that’sa lot of content covered. Will listen a second time later today evening

puroagave

Member Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Hobson made a factual error talking about LSC-1806, Reiner's Also Sprach. it was recorded in 1954 and was 40 not 50 yrs from from when it was released and HP and him heard RTI's test pressing (okay, that was a small nit to pick). I also find it a little hard to believe they forgot it was '54 since *everyone* knew it was one of, if not the earliest RCA classical recordings in stereo. I for one preferred the first batch that Bernie cut prior to the introduction of his vacuum tube console. Those records cut on the SS console sound more resolved and transparent, IMO.

adrianywu

Nov 15, 2021
Very interesting interview. The experience he had listening to the test pressing of the Reiner Also Sprach is familiar to me. I managed to make a copy of an acetate tape of Munch's 1954 recording of the Symphonie Fantastique. The source tape was a stereo master used to produce the stereo tape release of the time, since there was no stereo LP at the time. One can hear all the background noise made by the musicians, something that probably got edited out in the final commercial release. The sound is so dynamic and transparent, it is hard to believe the recording was made almost 70 years ago. I listened to a copy of a production master of Lorin Maazel conducting the VPO playing Tchaikovsky's Romeo and Juliet last night. This is a Decca recording dating back to 1965. The source tape was a production master made in the 1970s for a cassette release. Again, it has that eerily alive feeling. These old recordings somehow has this liveliness that is hard to describe.

Reactions: bonzo75

Brucemck2

Member Sponsor
May 10, 2010
Houston area
Great interview. What are the big line-array-like speakers in the room?

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
There was mention of a turntable, but I only saw the Furutech Demag machine and a record cleaning machine, no actual turntable in the video. I did see the glimpse/flash of Tinka, the videographer.

Michael uses a Kuzma Stabi XL DC turntable, with Kuzma 4Point and Kuzma Airline tonearms.

Reactions: PeterA

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
Ron, great interview. Thanks for giving us some insight into Hobson's mind.

Reactions: Steve Williams

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
Excellent interview Ron.

But, please remember, the plural of vinyl is vinyl. ;)

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Thank you.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing