Magico M3 latest Changes - Pods with spikes

TP1

Apr 2, 2014
I noticed Magico's latest M3 incarnation is using spiked Pods instead if the smooth faced ones that they used originally. They have also done away with the outrigger stand.

Some pictures from the new M3 owners manual.

Screen Shot 2018-11-15 at 7.39.10 pm.png Screen Shot 2018-11-15 at 7.39.29 pm.png

With the outriggers gone, they are shipped with these temporary supports for manoeuvring

Screen Shot 2018-11-15 at 7.39.47 pm.png

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Fascinating. Thanks for sharing these images. I like the look much better and it is more in line with the look of the Q3. I wonder if the former outrigger is an option and if this change is more about cost savings, aesthetics, or sonics. These footers look a lot like the SPods, or are they more substantial? Do they have a new name? What happens, if anything, to the M6 I wonder.

EDIT: Giving this some more thought, I wonder if this is simply the standard way they are shipped and if the purpose built outriggers with MPods are an option for increased performance. Apparently from another site, these MPod spikes are more substantial than the SPods and they don't have the grenade pin.

Last edited:
Reactions: TP1

TP1

Apr 2, 2014
I don't think it has anything to do with costs savings but everything to do with the M-pod effectiveness. Firstly, the addition of spikes will allow for excess energy that cant be dissipated quickly enough by the pods to be dissipated through the spikes. Secondly, it may well be that the best position to drain the maximum amount of energy from the heavy cabinet is directly from its base, and not through the outriggers.

Reactions: af428

audioquattr

VIP/Donor
Sep 7, 2016
Netherlands
I noticed Magico's latest M3 incarnation is using spiked Pods instead if the smooth faced ones that they used originally. They have also done away with the outrigger stand.

Some pictures from the new M3 owners manual.

With the outriggers gone, they are shipped with these temporary supports for manoeuvring

View attachment 45562
My M3 were also shipped and delivered this ^ way a bit more than 2 years ago. The M-pods with their outriggers were an option and shipped seperate in a box for extra money... I also got those in 2016.

TP1

Apr 2, 2014
My M3 were also shipped and delivered this ^ way a bit more than 2 years ago. The M-pods with their outriggers were an option and shipped seperate in a box for extra money... I also got those in 2016.

Thanks for that. The M3 didn't have 4 x M-Pods with spikes for each speaker as the basic standard 2 years ago did they?

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA

Thanks for that information. That is what I suspected, but this thread seemed to introduce the information as something new. Could you describe the difference in sound between the standard spikes and the optional MPod footers? Are the latter an improvement?

I also wonder why these spikes aren't offered for sale for the Q series speakers. They do suggest the SPods for the Q series.

audioquattr

VIP/Donor
Sep 7, 2016
Netherlands
Thanks for that. The M3 didn't have 4 x M-Pods with spikes for each speaker as the basic standard 2 years ago did they?
No, different looking feets as standard. M3-1.jpg

audioquattr

VIP/Donor
Sep 7, 2016
Netherlands
I got the m-pods (3).
Magico_M3 m-pods.jpeg

audioquattr

VIP/Donor
Sep 7, 2016
Netherlands
Thanks for that information. That is what I suspected, but this thread seemed to introduce the information as something new. Could you describe the difference in sound between the standard spikes and the optional MPod footers? Are the latter an improvement?

I also wonder why these spikes aren't offered for sale for the Q series speakers. They do suggest the SPods for the Q series.

At that time there was no manual ready. It looks the stock feets are replaces with the feets showed in the OP.
I only have heard mine with the M-Pods. My dealer has heard both and prefered them much.
So they delivered and set up my pair from 1st moment with the M-Pods at my home. So, sorry i can't let you know the difference.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Thank you for the clarification. So it looks like we are talking about three types of footers. The original silver ones that kind of remind me of the ones under my Q3. The 3 Qpods attached to a tripod base as an expensive option, and these new more massive spiked footers which seem like larger capacity spiked SPods. Very interesting. I'd like to learn more about these new footers. Perhaps I will need to ask a dealer.

TP1

Apr 2, 2014
I was told that these were M-Pods by the owner but now I'm wondering if they are in fact S-Pods. Magico do not actually identify these as a particular type of pod but refer to them as "M3 Spikes". They have 2 types of spikes, one for carpet and the other for hard floor. Could they just be S-Pods standard on the M3?

Screen Shot 2018-11-16 at 12.41.58 am.png

Screen Shot 2018-11-16 at 12.42.15 am.png

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
SPods look a bit different. They seem shorter. This "MSpike" is taller, the copper looks thicker, the bottom cone looks deeper, and the spike itself is considerably taller. And based on the thread diameter in the photos, the MSpike looks much bigger. Looks like a new footer for the M3.

Will there be another speaker in the M series? It seems there is always something around the corner.

1.jpg

3.jpg

Screen Shot 2018-11-16 at 12.42.15 am.png

WDW

May 24, 2011
BC, Canada
New product from Iso-Acoustics as a possible alternate to SPODS...believe the price point is in the range of $800 for a set of four
This below is their recommendation from Iso_Acoustics for the Magico Q3:​
"The GAIA-TITAN weight limits are based on a set of 4. I recommend the GAIA-TITAN Theis which is rated for up to 320 per speaker based on using 4 isolators".​

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-12-01 at 2.09.15 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-12-01 at 2.09.15 PM.png
    478.4 KB · Views: 24

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
ff04eda5-e857-4e59-9ba0-e04541dd35fe.jpg

WDW

May 24, 2011
BC, Canada
Hello Peter,

I am on the ISO-Acoustics emailing list so just received this info. I was awaiting the release of these heavier Titans as a possible solution for my Q3's. It appears they will be available in the coming month. Am also quite interested in trying these as the SPOD pricing seems high to me and would be, in a sense, money lost, if ever moving up to the M3 or simply selling.

I am also interested in their equipment footers as per the screenshot below..likely to give these a try in the near future

(Note: did you see the thread I started here concerning the need to tighten the screws on the Q series?...was quite audible to me...link below)

Some useful info for any Q series owners

Best,
Warren

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-11-29 at 1.10.30 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-11-29 at 1.10.30 PM.png
    553.1 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
Reactions: PeterA

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing