LampizatOr Golden Atlantic + TRP

ronfint

Oct 29, 2012
Michigan
users.math.msu.edu
I've been using Siemens F2a tubes along with a Spanish Marconi U50/80 rectifier in my TRP since Oct. 2021. I’ve tried many other rectifiers (5u4g’s, 274b’s, 5r4gy’s, Shuguang gz480, Bendix 6106, Brimar CV1863) but I preferred the U50/80 to all of them. After explaining why to Mark Coles, he pointed out the Tungsram PV200/600 and I quickly ordered one (and an adapter). One advantage that this tube has is that it is very reasonably priced. I’ve now had a chance to try it in my TRP and it has become my new favorite. It gives music more presence than anything else that I've tried, and otherwise it is a lot like the U50/80. In my system it’s like a GZ480 but clearer with even more “oomph”.

875F67BE-86D9-41D1-BF71-8EC3528A641C.jpeg

keithc

Dec 31, 2022
World, meet....

<-- the least qualified Lampizator technician. Ever.

IMG_1515.JPG IMG_1517.JPG
IMG_1516.JPG

Just my novice perspective, but despite instructions from Lampi Poland, replacing a chip by myself was not for the faint of heart. There's many very small wires that are point-to-point soldered.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I am very impressed that you would embark upon such a foolhardy mission! :)

I grew up building Heathkits, so I know how to use a soldering iron. I would never have considered attempting something like this.

When the blood was finally washed away was the transplant surgery successful?

• Haha
Reactions: keithc

keithc

Dec 31, 2022
I am very impressed that you would embark upon such a foolhardy mission! :)

I grew up building Heathkits, so I know how to use a soldering iron. I would never have considered attempting something like this.

When the blood was finally washed away was the transplant surgery successful?

Complete ignorance is the best way to overcome foolhardiness :) Plus worst case I just have to send it back to Poland.

This was one of the first TRP2s updated w/ the Engine 11 upgrade, but the chip had some issues w/ the analog volume control. So Lampi sent me the new chip with some pictures and said, "You just have to pull out the old one and stick in the new one." If only it was that simple for the untrained... but Lampi Poland (Andy) support is amazing and deserves huge kudos.

Yes, successful. Plus more importantly I bond deeper w/ things that I can open up the hood and tinker.

Redwoodaudio

Aug 25, 2021
I've been using Siemens F2a tubes along with a Spanish Marconi U50/80 rectifier in my TRP since Oct. 2021. I’ve tried many other rectifiers (5u4g’s, 274b’s, 5r4gy’s, Shuguang gz480, Bendix 6106, Brimar CV1863) but I preferred the U50/80 to all of them. After explaining why to Mark Coles, he pointed out the Tungsram PV200/600 and I quickly ordered one (and an adapter). One advantage that this tube has is that it is very reasonably priced. I’ve now had a chance to try it in my TRP and it has become my new favorite. It gives music more presence than anything else that I've tried, and otherwise it is a lot like the U50/80. In my system it’s like a GZ480 but clearer with even more “oomph”.

View attachment 106762

Where did you get the adapter for that tube? I'd love to give that a try in mine.

Bbock

Apr 11, 2022
Illinois
I’ve been following the Baltic threads and it seems like the 4volt Az1 rectifier with appropriate adapter is a contender. Has anyone tried this type of tube out on a TRP?

Sablon Audio

Industry Expert, VIP Donor
May 22, 2015
I’ve been following the Baltic threads and it seems like the 4volt Az1 rectifier with appropriate adapter is a contender. Has anyone tried this type of tube out on a TRP?
The pv200/600 tube @ronfint describes above is also 4v but has double (or more!) of the current delivery of the az1 we spoke about on the Baltic thread. That said, @Golum uses Valvo AZ1 on Horizon with pleasing results so I think you will also be pleased with either on TRP.

Specs aside, my experience of >20 leading rectifier options suggests that mesh is better sounding than solid plate.

Reactions: ronfint and Golum

Bbock

Apr 11, 2022
Illinois
The pv200/600 tube @ronfint describes above is also 4v but has double (or more!) of the current delivery of the az1 we spoke about on the Baltic thread. That said, @Golum uses Valvo AZ1 on Horizon with pleasing results so I think you will also be pleased with either on TRP.

Specs aside, my experience of >20 leading rectifier options suggests that mesh is better sounding than solid plate.
Thanks. Really appreciate the input.

Phon@ix

Jul 27, 2019
ZRH
Yes: IMG_3362.jpeg Very good price/performance ratio compared to some of these super famous but expensive rectifiers…

• Love
Reactions: christoph and Bbock

keithc

Dec 31, 2022
98E09E18-F33C-483A-9FDB-90702EC864D7.jpeg

6C98AE15-F4A7-4B11-8408-ACB91AF51B71.jpeg

Siemens F2a just arrived. For those who are height constrained like me (figuratively and literally) they are almost 3 inches shorter w adapter. Damn.

Now I can fit another component under the TRP…

fbs

Apr 22, 2019
Bavaria
IMG_2463.jpeg
Upgraded from TRP2 to TRP3 and am very pleased with the new Engine Eleven with the much improved three dimensional representation, more natural voices and musical instruments. Still in the burn-in process.

Last edited:

DeadWax

Apr 11, 2020
View attachment 108520
Upgraded from TRP2 to TRP3 and are very pleased with the new Engine Eleven with the much improved three dimensional representation, more natural voices and musical instruments. Still in the burn-in process.
Did you upgrade an existing TRP or buy a new one configured to Engine 11? I ask because in US it seems Lampi hasn't resumed the upgrade service based on my last inquiry to LampiNA.

fbs

Apr 22, 2019
Bavaria
Did you upgrade an existing TRP or buy a new one configured to Engine 11? I ask because in US it seems Lampi hasn't resumed the upgrade service based on my last inquiry to LampiNA.
I bought a new one and sold my TRP2.

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
View attachment 108520
Upgraded from TRP2 to TRP3 and are very pleased with the new Engine Eleven with the much improved three dimensional representation, more natural voices and musical instruments. Still in the burn-in process.
Glad you like your TRP3 E11 :cool:

What engine was your TRP2? Engine 53?

fbs

Apr 22, 2019
Bavaria
Reactions: christoph

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
The TRP2 had E53 with the former Amanero USB board.
So your brand new TRP3 E11 already sounds quite a lot better than your fully burnt-in TRP2 E53?
Wow, that is quite an achievement :eek:
Congrats :cool:

By any chance, have you compared the TRP and the Baltic?

Reactions: fbs

fbs

Apr 22, 2019
Bavaria
I didn‘t expe
So your brand new TRP3 E11 already sounds quite a lot better than your fully burnt-in TRP2 E53?
Wow, that is quite an achievement :eek:
Congrats :cool:

By any chance, have you compared the TRP and the Baltic?
I didn‘t expect such a big step, but the result is clear in my setup. I had a chance to listen to a Baltic 4 at a workshop, quite Impressive, but no direct comparison.

Reactions: christoph

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
I didn‘t expe

I didn‘t expect such a big step, but the result is clear in my setup. I had a chance to listen to a Baltic 4 at a workshop, quite Impressive, but no direct comparison.
I'm happy for you :cool:
We plan a three TRP-shoot-out (E5942 - E53 - E11) in the not too distant future.
You think there might be tears to expect? :eek::D

fbs

Apr 22, 2019
Bavaria
I'm happy for you :cool:
We plan a three TRP-shoot-out (E5942 - E53 - E11) in the not too distant future.
You think there might be tears to expect? :eek::D
You will have much fun, for sure!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing