LampizatOr Golden Atlantic + TRP

highstream

VIP/Donor
Nov 16, 2013
I'm make it short and sweet: when Engine 11 becomes available again for TRP's, go for it. It's the real deal, worth every dollar. Just give it a good 200 hours to start to show its wares, including finding a bit of (welcome) warmth.

Wjhen

Oct 21, 2019
Thank you highstream. Any chance to tell us just a little bit more. What areas do improve the most?

highstream

VIP/Donor
Nov 16, 2013
Most everything

Bbock

Apr 11, 2022
Illinois
I'm make it short and sweet: when Engine 11 becomes available again for TRP's, go for it. It's the real deal, worth every dollar. Just give it a good 200 hours to start to show its wares, including finding a bit of (welcome) warmth.
I would absolutely agree with @highstream. While I don’t have anywhere near 200 hours yet, I was finally able to do an extended listening test yesterday. Midway through I noticed the TRP to really “open” up. Sound has been getting more expansive from treble to bass. Noticed that the front wave of drums and bass has a real kick to it—you can feel it more. Midrange has nicely fleshed out while still very articulate. I’m sure I’ll have more to say later. Please note that I’m running this into a Manley preamp (see associated tubes below). Obviously that unit will have an impact on the sound, but doesn’t mask any changes that are happening with break-in or tube substitution.

highstream

VIP/Donor
Nov 16, 2013
Btw, to speed up the process, I’ve been pulling the tubes every night and running some wide range sounds from an Oppo continuously, with an occasional short break (there was no change to the output circuit). Today finishes day 11, so time to cut it down to day time music.

Bbock

Apr 11, 2022
Illinois
Btw, to speed up the process, I’ve been pulling the tubes every night and running some wide range sounds from an Oppo continuously, with an occasional short break (there was no change to the output circuit). Today finishes day 11, so time to cut it down to day time music.
Yes, I had forgotten about that. Ive been on vacation for the last week and a half so I'll start doing that tonight.

highstream

VIP/Donor
Nov 16, 2013
This was posted this morning on the Big 7 Upgrade thread by Lampi NA: I don’t see anything on the Lampi home site about this.

ANNOUNCEMENT:

All good things must come to an end.

We've tried to keep the trade in program going as long as we can, but effective October 1, 2022 we are going to have to suspend both our trade in program as well as our upgrade program. Trade ins will be suspended until further notice and upgrades will likely resume in Q1 of 2023.

If you have been on the fence about an upgrade or trade in you may consider this "last call" and please hit me up as soon as possible.

Best,

Fred A.

Redwoodaudio

Aug 25, 2021
Hi all. Satisfied TRP 2 owner here (with F2A tubes) for over a year now (input to spdif using Black Cat TRON spdif cable). I was recently surprised to find that the bottom of the TRP chassis is magnetic steel (the rest of the chassis is non-ferrous). I had always heard that it was best to use non-magnetic materials when dealing with small signals in gear such as DACs/preamps/etc. Anyone know why Lampizator uses steel in the chassis?

highstream

VIP/Donor
Nov 16, 2013
I'm selling my upgraded TRP 3, if you happen to know of anyone interested. Posted on Audiomart.

dwhistance

Feb 15, 2019
I'd be very interested to hear your thoughts on how the GG2 compares with the TRP? When I first bought my original Atlantic I was able to compare that with the GG at home and couldn't decide between them so decided to save my pennies and concentrate on optimising regulators instead. However as the rest of my system has improved I do wonder whether I might now prefer the GG2 versus my current Golden Atlantic TRP 2.

Bbock

Apr 11, 2022
Illinois
Gene,

@highstream I’m interested in your observations of the differences also.

highstream

VIP/Donor
Nov 16, 2013
I’m still too embroiled and unsatisfied in getting the tubing right between VAC Master preamp and GG3 to give a complete response. Bbock’s comments on this page and the last pretty much capture the TRP3. Before I went after the GG, I got some private thoughts about the TRP2 and GG2 difference from someone who knows the line well. Their comment parallels my experience so far:
“I…do strongly believe TRP and GG2 are different beasts all together and I loved my GG2 possibly even more than the Pacific as it just sounded more towards my liking - warmer, gigantic staging, maybe a tad less details and speed then Pac but still great. TRP is to me different sound signature - more direct, fast, less warm or tubey or call it how ever you like it…”

I’d add to that faster and even smoother, just a lot more there. Note that choice of tubes can do a lot to enhance the character of a piece, e.g., make the TRP warmer, and the addition of Engine 11 creates some similarities, but the “genetic” differences remain.

Reactions: Mamon and christoph

Monsterzero

Jul 10, 2019
I was finally able to source a pair of F2a and received the adapters from xulingmrs on eBay. Question to anyone familiar with those adapters, are you able to get a tight seating into the adapters with the F2a, or do they sit up a ways from the top of the adapter? This is about as deep as they will go. Normal?

20221202_164940-01.jpeg

Redwoodaudio

Aug 25, 2021
I was finally able to source a pair of F2a and received the adapters from xulingmrs on eBay. Question to anyone familiar with those adapters, are you able to get a tight seating into the adapters with the F2a, or do they sit up a ways from the top of the adapter? This is about as deep as they will go. Normal?

View attachment 101116

I have same setup. I think I ended up putting a screwdriver down into the sockets on the adapters to create more space for the pins. Worked great and they don't stick up anymore.

Reactions: Monsterzero

Phon@ix

Jul 27, 2019
ZRH

View attachment 101116
This is totally normal with xulingmrs f2a adapters… Just plug the tubes a few times in and out and it will fit perfect after a while. Grab the tube below the orange ring of paper if you don’t want to destroy it (orange paper thing).

Reactions: Monsterzero

keithc

Dec 31, 2022
New visitor here, and this is an amazing thread. Appreciate everyone's expertise.

I'm wondering if folks can share their experience using the TRP's analog input for a phono stage. Has it worked well, any concerns or issues, compatibility, etc. I'm considering this as a front end "music center" for my office system where the fewer boxes the better, so this would directly go into a tubed headphone amplifier.

Thanks much!

findog

Apr 29, 2019
www.tinyurl.com
I have run the TRP in that configuration and have been pleased.

Reactions: keithc

DeadWax

Apr 11, 2020
This was posted this morning on the Big 7 Upgrade thread by Lampi NA: I don’t see anything on the Lampi home site about this.

ANNOUNCEMENT:

All good things must come to an end.

We've tried to keep the trade in program going as long as we can, but effective October 1, 2022 we are going to have to suspend both our trade in program as well as our upgrade program. Trade ins will be suspended until further notice and upgrades will likely resume in Q1 of 2023.

If you have been on the fence about an upgrade or trade in you may consider this "last call" and please hit me up as soon as possible.

Best,

Fred A.
I assume this means upgrades to Engine 11 are also suspended for now? I have not kept current on this thread for a long time and am just getting back up to speed. All of the comments on the Engine 11 performance have been very helpful!

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I'd be very interested to hear your thoughts on how the GG2 compares with the TRP? When I first bought my original Atlantic I was able to compare that with the GG at home and couldn't decide between them so decided to save my pennies and concentrate on optimising regulators instead. However as the rest of my system has improved I do wonder whether I might now prefer the GG2 versus my current Golden Atlantic TRP 2.

if you are not playing complex classical with higher dynamic range and more information, the two will sound more similar than not.

highstream

VIP/Donor
Nov 16, 2013
I assume this means upgrades to Engine 11 are also suspended for now? I have not kept current on this thread for a long time and am just getting back up to speed. All of the comments on the Engine 11 performance have been very helpful!

"Likely resume in Q1" It's Q1, so I'd ask your national rep or Poland

Reactions: DeadWax

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing