Kuzma Stabi M

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
Tim, do you have a Fuuga? What's your take on its sound? I feel the Fuuga is a better mate with the XLDC than with the Stabi M, personally.

Vienna

VIP/Donor
Very interesting. Have you tried the Platis or heard it in use?

If I recall correctly, Franc previousl offered an active isolation platform. It was someone else's manufactory. The Platis is passive - I'm guessing it is a Kuzma design.
hi Tim,
No I haven’t tried it personally but having spoken with Franc, he is suggesting it with confidence.

Uk Paul

Member Sponsor
Sep 27, 2012
UK

abeidrov

VIP Donor
Dec 17, 2015
Moscow
Guys, if you have RPM app on your phones or Analog Magic, please, measure wow/flutter on your Stabi M TTs. I’ve done some measurements with RPM and got 0.3 on 33 and 0.1 on 45. 0.3 is a lot! Is it normal for Kuzma TTs?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Guys, if you have RPM app on your phones or Analog Magic, please, measure wow/flutter on your Stabi M TTs. I’ve done some measurements with RPM and got 0.3 on 33 and 0.1 on 45. 0.3 is a lot! Is it normal for Kuzma TTs?

That's interesting as Vienna posted his Brinkmann balance wow at 0.06 for 33 (I believe it is 0.04 for 45)

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
No, it's not normal. I measured 0.075% on 33 RPM when I got the Stabi M years ago. I've never replaced the belt and measure about 0.085% now.

Reactions: abeidrov

abeidrov

VIP Donor
Dec 17, 2015
Moscow
No, it's not normal. I measured 0.075% on 33 RPM when I got the Stabi M years ago. I've never replaced the belt and measure about 0.085% now.
Thank you, Bazelio. This is good to know. I understand you use Analog Magic. Can you do the same measurement with the RPM app on your phone? I wonder if it gives a reliable measurement.

Vienna

VIP/Donor

from my limited experience such excessive wow numbers are associated with:

1. Contaminated belts- check with the manufacturer for the best cleaning method
2. Lack of bearing lubrication- check inverted bearing’s oil level (in the shallow well at the top)
3. insufficient belt tensioning- ensure clean -oil free- hands while you will be handling the belt.
4. Contaminated motor pulley or sub platter
5. Aged belt
6. If the above are ok you will have to check your motor and or speed controller
7. Worn bearing

is you tt using an AC synchronous, DC or BLDC motor? Also do you notice excessive speed variations too?

p.s. I assume that your tt is perfectly leveled, otherwise this is a serious factor for increased resistance thus speed inconsistency

Reactions: Narayan

abeidrov

VIP Donor
Dec 17, 2015
Moscow
It has a DC motor. Thanks for the advice. I will check all the things you mentioned.

Calle_jr

May 24, 2015
Sweden
www.euphonia-audioforum.se
I'm more suspicious to the phone, and to that app in general.
I understand it measures the speed and calculates the deviation from 33 1/3 rpm, right?
That's not wow or flutter. It's just a speed deviation which can be adjusted on the motor control of Stabi M.

We are not that sensitive to speed deviations. E.g. most people can't separate even between 990, 1000 and 1010 Hz. It varies with frequency, we are more sensitive to LF and less to HF.
But we are very sensitive to speed change, i.e. acceleration.
I think the speed change should be limited to less than +/-0.1% on a TT.

Does the app give some more speed measurements? Can you make a screendump?

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
Thank you, Bazelio. This is good to know. I understand you use Analog Magic. Can you do the same measurement with the RPM app on your phone? I wonder if it gives a reliable measurement.
A couple weeks ago, I spent about 30 minutes leveling the platter and the top surface. Now I'm back down to about 0.07% - 0.073%. It fluctuates a bit.

One thing I'll say about the Kuzma DC motor controller, is that I feel the granularity between steps is too large. I'd like finer control of the speed than it provides.

Reactions: abeidrov

kodomo

Apr 26, 2017
A couple weeks ago, I spent about 30 minutes leveling the platter and the top surface. Now I'm back down to about 0.07% - 0.073%. It fluctuates a bit.

One thing I'll say about the Kuzma DC motor controller, is that I feel the granularity between steps is too large. I'd like finer control of the speed than it provides.

You have to press +- once and then store to get a finer starting point, when you get closer press store again and it will get finer each time you press store. It is in the manual as stated;

"The first time the plus or minus button is used the changes in speed will be comparatively large. Each time, however, the store button is pressed the changes will be smaller until, finally the speed changes are barley visible."

Reactions: Marcus and Calle_jr

abeidrov

VIP Donor
Dec 17, 2015
Moscow

Good for you! I still struggle with w/f: 0.29 - 0.34 at 33 and 0.17 at 45. Not sure what to do now. My TT is perfectly level, I had it checked by a very experienced local vinyl setup guru and everything seems to be in order.

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
You have to press +- once and then store to get a finer starting point, when you get closer press store again and it will get finer each time you press store. It is in the manual as stated;

"The first time the plus or minus button is used the changes in speed will be comparatively large. Each time, however, the store button is pressed the changes will be smaller until, finally the speed changes are barley visible."
Whoa, ok. When all else fails, read the manual? This is great!

Glenn1234

Oct 3, 2021
Hi there, I was wondering if the Kuzma Stabi M is substantially better than the Kuzma Stabi R? As there is a a considerable price difference in the UK. Does anyone have experience with this?

Reactions: twintech

twintech

Dec 27, 2019
Hi there, I was wondering if the Kuzma Stabi M is substantially better than the Kuzma Stabi R? As there is a a considerable price difference in the UK. Does anyone have experience with this?
Hi, Yes the Kuzma Stabi M is substantially much better than the Kuzma Stabi R. Firstly, there is a very sophisticated isolation built into the plinth of the Stabi M. Secondly, the whole top plate of the chassis is very cleverly decoupled from the lower part of the plinth. Thirdly, the huge motor is also decoupled from the top plate. Fourthly, it has a separate power supply. This turntable has everything, drive, musicality, finesse, grip, slam, and flow...

pulinap

Mar 25, 2012
Hi, Yes the Kuzma Stabi M is substantially much better than the Kuzma Stabi R. Firstly, there is a very sophisticated isolation built into the plinth of the Stabi M. Secondly, the whole top plate of the chassis is very cleverly decoupled from the lower part of the plinth. Thirdly, the huge motor is also decoupled from the top plate. Fourthly, it has a separate power supply. This turntable has everything, drive, musicality, finesse, grip, slam, and flow...
Would adding an external isolation (say HRS or similar) minimise the difference? The attraction of Stabi R (over Stabi M) is that is it compact and could host many arms.....unfortunately there's not much user reviews out there.

twintech

Dec 27, 2019
I don't own Stabi M (I own XL4) but have heard it many, many times at Franc's place. This is a great turntable. You can't go wrong with it. With the 4point and Benz LP-S, it' a magical combination - extremely revealing and direct yet so musical. One day we compared it to the Studer A80 and guess what. The diference was NOT that great! In fact, on some material we even prefered the LP...
Hi, How close does the Kuzma Stabi M sound compared to your Kuzma Stabi XL4?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing