KeithR's "Dream Speaker" Search

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
AS good as the Devore 0/96 are, I found they were no match for the c.80k YG Sonja. For that matter, they didn’t even beat my Rockport Avior with the RELs.

You didn't hear them with the right amps - I think you heard them with Vitus. Also depends what you are listening for.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
When is that happening? Ensure you demo them w tube amps.

Reactions: christoph

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Will we get the executive summary?

I came. I saw. I heard. I concurred none of these are worth spending over the devores I currently have.

Reactions: tima

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Wait, you have speakers??????
He was making an executive summary for Keith.

That would be my summary for Keith also.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I am puzzled why John Devore went in the short four box direction rather than in the taller Gibbon X in a midrange - tweeter - midrange direction. He could have used the same drivers he is using in the four box set-up. And a tall speaker would have achieved height and scale as well.

Of course he could have done this, and he consciously chose not to, so I am very curious to learn why he preferred the short four box design.

While I am at it let me suggest another project for John. ( :rolleyes: I know.)

How about taking the four box set-up he has right now and making each box taller? He could have four woofers in each woofer column, and a true midrange - midrange - tweeter design in the main box! This could be a near SOTA system (excepting only heroically heavy cabinets) competing with the SOTA four tower designs from YG, Verity, etc.

Last edited:
Reactions: Al M.

Blue58

Jan 20, 2013
London, UK
Fyi, I have one demo left in the Avantgarde Duo Mezzo (which effectively replaced the Cessaro Wagner in my original 6). That is going to wrap it up for quite some time. KeithR is all demo'd out.
Leave the best till last, I like your style ;)

Reactions: bonzo75

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
I am puzzled why John Devore went in the short four box direction rather than in the taller Gibbon X in a midrange - tweeter - midrange direction. He could have used the same drivers he is using in the four box set-up. And a tall speaker would have achieved height and scale as well.

Of course he could have done this, and he consciously chose not to, so I am very curious to learn why he preferred the short four box design.

How about taking the four box set-up he has right now and making each box taller? He could have four woofers in each woofer column, and a true midrange - midrange - tweeter design in the main box! This could be a near SOTA system (excepting only heroically heavy cabinets) competing with the SOTA four tower designs from YG, Verity, etc.

Why does it matter if they are taller?

Reactions: KeithR

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

It's not really competing with those other brands. The orangutan, at least, is a very different sound, and those who like one might not like the other. The O96 also seems a different design to his gibbon X (which I have not yet heard) and is priced higher. I don't think more or less height has anything to do with it. They look like AN Es which actually sound different. And the AN Es have a massive price range just by changing copper to silver and the cross over.

Both AN E and devore when set up right achieve a disappearance, flow, tone, ease, coherence, and transparency to recordings. The soundstage comes as they disappear leaving a musical stage. You don't really buy these because you want the best highs, best mids like stats or ribbons, or great bass. All imo

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA

:rolleyes:

I wish you'd stop playing amateur speaker designer, especially with something you've never heard. I'd also point out that he specifically wanted a 98db efficient speaker, something none of your preferred speakers achieve. This is SOTA to John Devore - he told me that in person.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
FWIW Ron, I've spoken to Sean of Zu, and he is skeptical that D'Appolito is the ideal. He actually feels it creates more problems than it solves. Not a borderline opinion w him.

Reactions: Ron Resnick

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Marc, did Sean explain to you what some of those problems might be?
I think that it's not definitively optimal to place bass top and bottom, and this introduces compromises (v hard to do well, and can scupper rest of the design).

Bass needs it's own specific solution, not to be dictated by an arbitrary rule.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing