IPad3 Set To Launch March 2012

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Report says Apple to unveil new iPad in March

NEW YORK — A news report says Apple plans to unveil a new iPad early next month.

AllThingsD, a website affiliated with The Wall Street Journal, says Apple Inc. is holding an event in San Francisco the first week of March — the same week Apple announced the iPad 2 last year.

The report cites unnamed people familiar with the device. Apple declined comment Thursday.

It's not known whether the new device will be called the iPad 3, and when it will be available for sale. Last year, sales of the iPad 2 began in the U.S. nine days after the announcement.

Since the first iPad came out in 2010, sales of traditional computers have slowed. Rivals PC and phone makers have been unable to mirror Apple's success with their own tablet computers.

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
Since the first iPad came out in 2010, sales of traditional computers have slowed. Rivals PC and phone makers have been unable to mirror Apple's success with their own tablet computers.

I don't doubt this at all. We bought our specifically as a substitute for another laptop. It is, actually, better than another laptop. There are times I really need the MacBook, like when I'm writing posts that are far too long on WBF, but often, the iPad is better. Period.

Tim

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
only problem I had with the iPad was the keyboard keys being very touch sensitive. I found myself cleaning up countless typos

I do to. I'm getting better at it, but I still grab the MacBook when I'm going to write much.

Tim

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I'm still of the opinion that a tablet is simply a toy and can't replace a laptop just yet. You both site the limitations of the touchtype option, and that for me would also be the issue. Sure I could buy an add-on keyboard with some tablets, but that would seem to defeat the purpose of a tablet...so I can't quite figure out what the attraction is. Gaming? Yeah, I could see that, but I don't game so throw that benefit out the window for me. Remote control? Seems a rather expensive option, no?

Enlighten me, please, because I'm obviously not convinced that a tablet would work for me.

BTW....The iPads are very nice......

Steve Williams

I can guarantee this to be accurate and true.

How do I know?? I just purchased an iPad2.

Always my luck. I once purchased a MacIIx ....one week later, the MacIIfx was introduced.

....sT

Simon

Apple typically releases new products in Feb-March and Sept-Oct. I never buy just before these times for that reason

a helpful site is www.macrumors.com

Simon Templar

Jan 19, 2012
Infinite Rider on The Big Dogma
Yes, well.....the IIfx was introduced back in early 1990. (You're right....March)

The Internet and especially the Web were in their infancy then (at least in terms of all things Consumer). MacRumours didn't exist. We got our information mostly through MacWeek, MacUser, and MacWorld, back then. While a successor to the Iix had been rumored, it was not rumored to be before later that year, if then.

Karma can be a bitch. (Unless you're talking about Linn phono carts, that is.)

....sT

Steve Williams

Jenny's iPad 2 is practically a symbiotic attachment!

I'd need a Retina display and HD FaceTime camera before I'd consider buying an iPad for me. Oh, and a camera as good as the iPhone 4S'.

Perhaps the ipad3

carolkoh

[Industry Expert] Member Sponsor
Sep 17, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
I bought my iPad2 knowing it would be a "toy" for myself as a birthday present last year, but wouldn't you know it? I started reviewing more games on it the moment I had it and *calculates* - It's about paid for itself. :)

My mother prefers using Facetime to Skype, and I use it as an e-reader. I also travel with it and use it for email, and we use it at the office with the Remote App to control the music server.

Yes, I do wish that the camera was better, but I'm not about to run out to get the iPad3 unless it has substantially better features. I'll wait for the iPad4. ;)

carolkoh

[Industry Expert] Member Sponsor
Sep 17, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
It's official.

http://techcrunch.com/2012/02/28/march-7th-ipad-3/

Looks like CNBC was wrong. Apple just sent out invites for a March 7th event where they promise to have something we really want to see and touch. The event will be held next Wednesday at 10AM PST at Yerba Buena Center for the Arts in San Francisco where they will no doubt unveil the next iPad.

This confirms previous reports, besides CNBC’s recent tweet, that Apple was launching the next iPad in the first week of March.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing