In praise of idlers

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
That's a good call Spirit. I use a couple pods of T304 Stainless steel under my idler. They rest on a 400 lb. Vibraplane table that holds the turntable and phono stage also. When building my turntable I found T304 stainless to sound much different than lead.
Harry, I've gone a little crazy Lol, installing a £6.5k dual isolation platform under a £3k tt. However the results are undeniable. I went a little step further isolating the direct rim drive pod with a custom Symposium Mini Svelte just under the pod itself (replacing the great audio satan, stock Sorbothane pad).

Reactions: bazelio

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
That's a job for anti-skate, not friction. Can someone please explain to me when tonearm friction is good?
No anti-skate on my air LT arm. But yr point acknowledged.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Jesper, having some interesting success using my periphery lp ring not on records, but resting on the circumference of the platter. That's where it would be anyway if I was using it to weigh down the lp in the normal way, but since my records sit on 0.5cm high Delrin cones bonded to my platter, they are above the ring now.
Platter now increases in weight from 9kg to over 11kg w the addition of the ring, and from 14" to 16" effective diameter.

Last edited:

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
Jesper, having some interesting success using my periphery lp ring not on records, but resting on the circumference of the platter. That's where it would be anyway if I was using it to weigh down the lp in the normal way, but since my records sit on 0.5cm high Delrin cones bonded to my platter, they are above the ring now.
Platter now increases in weight from 9kg to over 11kg w the addition of the ring, and from 14" to 16" effective diameter.

I don't understand ... never used one but I thought periphery rings sat on the lead-in area of a record.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Sure Tim. All I've done is used the ring to increase effective wt of platter, and kept the lp free of the ring. In any other tt, that wouldn't have been possible. But because my lp sits on 0.5cm high Delrin pods bonded on the platter, I've been able to judiciously pop the ring on the platter effectively underneath the lp.

In these confined Covid days, these episodes and discoveries are a lot of fun.

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
Okay - guess I was curious what difference it makes. Weight on the platter vs weight on the record.

You're an inveterate explorer. (note I did not say the t word.)

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Tim, well we wanna stay on good terms Lol.
Covid is great for the DIY community, and this is just my little bit.
My tt is explicitly designed to not secure the lp down in anyway, no weight, no ring, no vacuum hold-down.
Heck, lps don't even sit flush on the platter.
But the tt like lots of others is predicated on high mass/inertia/flywheel effect/high torque.
And thus adding 2.5kg mass to the platter while not securing the lp in any way is consistent w it's design ethos.

Reactions: tima

jespera

Jan 12, 2018
London

What improvements are you hearing?

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Or, do I think I'm hearing Lol (after Barry2013 said his FM radio sounded better w Covid).

Some uptick in low end heft and mids palpability. The kind of things I always here in higher torque/heavier flywheel effect oversized platter'd tts.

Exlibris

Oct 7, 2015
Canada
systems.audiogon.com
Without idlers I dont think I would listen to records, and without records I dont think I would bother about hifi.

For me, the idlers are unmatched in the addictive way they drive the music and carry the beat.

My musical taste is more marley than mozart.

Well, thats just like my opinion. Whats yours?

Jesper
My Reed 3C can run on a belt or friction drive. I much prefer the friction drive. My previous table was a belt drive but I added a Teres idler wheel drive and much preferred it. I've never owned a DD but I think I'm am idler/rim-drive/friction drive guy.

Reactions: jespera

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Exlibris, I'm intrigued by the Reed using a pair of idler wheels. Does this not add potential complication to the design? Twice potential for idler noise/rumble, and speed/vibration issues w differing idler wheels wear?

Re identifying oneself w idler, I totally agree. I just find the saturated mids tonality, and directness of presentation of music's propulsiveness via my direct rim drive to be totally addictive, a cut above the belt drives that I've owned (Roksan Xerxes and Michell Orbe/OL motor) and the two I auditioned at home (TW Acustic AC-3 and Brinkmann La Grange).

Exlibris

Oct 7, 2015
Canada
systems.audiogon.com
Exlibris, I'm intrigued by the Reed using a pair of idler wheels. Does this not add potential complication to the design? Twice potential for idler noise/rumble, and speed/vibration issues w differing idler wheels wear?

Re identifying oneself w idler, I totally agree. I just find the saturated mids tonality, and directness of presentation of music's propulsiveness via my direct rim drive to be totally addictive, a cut above the belt drives that I've owned (Roksan Xerxes and Michell Orbe/OL motor) and the two I auditioned at home (TW Acustic AC-3 and Brinkmann La Grange).
I read up on the Reed quite a bit before buying. It's the cleanest sound I've ever had from a table. I used to blame pressings and cartridges etc for noise but after getting the Reed I see that it was the table that was the problem. The belt does give that smoothness and air etc but I like the drive and propulsion of the friction drive.
I get enough air and "freedom" from AirTangent arm. I think the combo of idler and linear tracker is fantastic.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Hear hear.
I've combined my direct rim drive with an air bearing LT. In fact designed as a piece from the same guy. I have some idea what you're experiencing.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Well, she was great out of the box, and I've eeked out maximum performance w dozens of small and deffo not so small mods.

Exlibris, would you ever consider the Reed 5T? Sounds a tech tour de force w it's laser guided "pivoted LT" design.

jespera

Jan 12, 2018
London
My Reed 3C can run on a belt or friction drive. I much prefer the friction drive. My previous table was a belt drive but I added a Teres idler wheel drive and much preferred it. I've never owned a DD but I think I'm am idler/rim-drive/friction drive guy.

Thats an interesting design. Do you know if any users actually prefer the belt drive?

Welcome in the idler club.

Jesper

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing