In praise of idlers

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
I actually have a book somewhere called "How To Be Idle". I don't think there was a chapter on Garrards or Lencos. But there was a chapter on "slow living" and reclaiming habits like leisurely listening to music at home rather than jagged piecemeal IPod "listening" (or as I term it, "hearing music").

Reactions: jespera

Exlibris

Oct 7, 2015
Canada
systems.audiogon.com
Well, she was great out of the box, and I've eeked out maximum performance w dozens of small and deffo not so small mods.

Exlibris, would you ever consider the Reed 5T? Sounds a tech tour de force w it's laser guided "pivoted LT" design.
I would consider it as a second arm. A dealer I was talking to last month mentioned that he found this arm too sensitive though. I think he was saying that it sometimes skips if he puts his hand near it.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
I would consider it as a second arm. A dealer I was talking to last month mentioned that he found this arm too sensitive though. I think he was saying that it sometimes skips if he puts his hand near it.
Talk to Ron. He's been at Audioquattr's who uses it, and simple sunlight can get it to skip.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
I remember reading a review of the arm from a panel of like 20 people. I think only two preferred the belt.

i think you would like to have both. i have my LT on my belt/thread drive and the pivot on the idler.

some recordings and music really are boosted by the space, scale and ease of the belt. they fully bloom. other recordings are best with the tone density, drive and focus of the idler. it's possible if the arms were switched i might feel differently. but that is not really doable.

if i had to choose, it would be the belt/LT right at this minute. however; i've only had both for a limited time so far. still getting a feel for this.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Mike, these things are all a synergy. For me, w Vic the Salvation rim drive tt/Terminator air LT arm designer having voiced these two as a piece, it was a no-brainer to get the complete package.
I've heard my LT arm on a couple of belt drives, and with the mental comparator of my previous SME V that I ran for 12 years, and previous to that, 3 years w my Roksan Artemiz, I have a good handle on pros and cons.
And I would say the heft and "carved from stone" quality of my direct rim drive tt absolutely nails my main genres of prog, fusion, electric jazz, percussion-heavy material.
The LT arm fills out speed and "deftness" extending the rig's abilities w acoustic material, but critically no compromise on bass which is way earthier and tuneful than my old pivoted arms, and critically, lightning fast.
Topping off everything is my LPSd Soundsmith Straingauge cart which absolutely nails timbral accuracy, air and texture.
And isolating the whole shebang from the world, the Stacore air platform.
Throw in nearly 20 other small and big mods, and I truly am in a very content place w my analog, my personal triumph being maintaining total immersion on uber rhythmic music but now also excelling at more airy, timbral-critical, microdynamic music like string qts, solo piano, voice.

Exlibris

Oct 7, 2015
Canada
systems.audiogon.com
i think you would like to have both. i have my LT on my belt/thread drive and the pivot on the idler.

some recordings and music really are boosted by the space, scale and ease of the belt. they fully bloom. other recordings are best with the tone density, drive and focus of the idler. it's possible if the arms were switched i might feel differently. but that is not really doable.

if i had to choose, it would be the belt/LT right at this minute. however; i've only had both for a limited time so far. still getting a feel for this.
The other benefit of the belt drive is longer decay of notes. It sounds more languid than the idler drive on my Reed table.

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
The other benefit of the belt drive is longer decay of notes. It sounds more languid than the idler drive on my Reed table.

could not agree more. and i'd add belts (or more properly my belt/thread LT) digs out harmonic and timbrel structure otherwise relatively glossed over. more inner life and sparkle.

Reactions: bazelio

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
But Mike, didn't you contend for a whole LTs didn't necessarily deal w the trails of musical notes as well as pivoted arms? Are you changing yr mind?

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Ditto here. Feels as fundamental as going tubes as a choice.

"Getting" that LT advantage is one of those epiphany moments in audio...notable in bass slam you just don't expect, bass that turns on a dime, and no hint of hardening of sound as lead out grooves approach.

Once you hear these answers, you wonder why you never asked the questions before.

For me also, the agility of air LT also counterbalances the solid, hewn sound of idler, to offset maybe some lack of trails in notes.

For me, I've used a great analogue-like cdp as a big measure to evolve my vinyl sound against, and feel I have a great balance of both mediums at home. I know most others measure their analog against the best tts out there, but tbh I'd always struggled to get my vinyl to fully convince w belt drive/pivoted compared to my cdp, rim drive/LT has totally bridged that gap in ways I wasn't expecting. Now I'm more a fan of vinyl than ever, and 100% fully absorbed by digital too.

Mission accomplished.

Last edited:
Reactions: Exlibris

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
But Mike, didn't you contend for a whole LTs didn't necessarily deal w the trails of musical notes as well as pivoted arms? Are you changing yr mind?

i'll admit to not recalling 100% of the posts i've written.....but honestly; i don't recall EVER writing that. or even thinking that. i always recalled the Rockport LT sounded sexy as hell.....including great decay and such stuff.

i certainly do not think that now for sure. just the opposite.

i have not owned a LT arm since my Rockport days back in 2011 until this past November when the CS Port arrived. i had not owned a belt driven tt since my Basis 2500 back in 2001. OTOH i have heard belt drives frequently over the years.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Mike, apologies if I've misquoted you. Maybe it was more comments re bass quality on LT v pivoted.
I guess I scratched my head a little on reading those words since my LT arm is singularly impressive on bass.

jespera

Jan 12, 2018
London
There was something missing in my collection ... an all original td 124 with 3012 in ortofon plinth from early 60s.

Needs a clean but runs quiet and sounds great.

Jesper

Attachments

• 4ACCB6D3-D20B-4EFF-BDE2-74FFCF74BACC.jpeg
    4ACCB6D3-D20B-4EFF-BDE2-74FFCF74BACC.jpeg
    67.5 KB · Views: 18
Reactions: jeff1225

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Idlers always welcome
The happy, playful mutts of the canine world, versus the belt drive diffident designer pooches.

denimhunter

Apr 9, 2020
Anyone with experience with the Torqueo idler they can share? How do they compare with restored Garrard 301/401?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing