FINALLY Found A Listening Chair I Want

Argonaut

Jul 30, 2013
N/A
Thank you guys for posting both the picture and the name of the chair. That Eames chair looks nice!
The headrest is not too high and the chair is available in acoustically friendly Mohair too. There's a local show room where I can try both the standard and tall size for fit.
Just noticed Herman Miller is offering 25% off thru next Tuesday. I'm going to my local showroom to try one this weekend.
Could this be the end of my search? I hope so.
Thanks again @TheMooN and @komodo for bringing this chair to my attention!
Your welcome , a timeless classic for sure.

2E8E1C94-5583-45A6-A7B9-7219868F20EB.jpeg

ACHiPo

Feb 22, 2015
Pleasanton, CA

F208Frank

Mar 27, 2020
New York
Th
I know there has been debate on multiple forums about a listening chair with multiple people making fun of the "listening chair" concept. Personally, I have always believed the right location, height and proper chair is as much an integral part of a high end audio system as any other component. While I have looked at many other chairs, including some of the low back Ekornes with the back measuring 34" in height with a seat height of 17", I felt that it was still cutting it too close. Below is an example of their Eldorado which I think is a really good choice. I know many believe in the Eames concept, etc, but it is my opinion that (Lobster Chairs claim to the contrary) no chair should extend above the listeners ears when doing serious listening. I get it for those days you want to "lounge" and don't care much about what your system is truly capable of, but for that I use a recliner my MojoPoly and Audeze iLCD4s. First picture is the Eldorado by Ekornes. They have other similar chairs at similar price points.

View attachment 39204

Now I have, in my opinion, found the optimal chair, which I recently ordered and can't wait to get. It is the Willy by Poltrona Frau. In my opinion, this represents the optimal chair for multiple reasons. It is comfortable, great ergonomics for the natural flow of one's arms and dimensions couldn't be better, with the back coming up only 26", location on each side coming up 31" with gradual decline of the armrests to 26" with a seat height of 17".

Attached are two pictures, one from their site and another with someone (not me and not my system) sitting in it in their listening room which thankfully I came across in my long arduous search for the perfect chair!

View attachment 39205

View attachment 39207

View attachment 39206
This post is such money. Love it. I happen to LOVE the chair you bought, and am terrified to look at the price. I am expecting 5k USD? Sigh.

Last edited:

gds7368

VIP/Donor
Jan 9, 2015

This is being proposed (nothing ordered yet) by my designer to become the new listening chair.
I've sat in it and it is comfortable. Thoughts?

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
How close does the top of the head-rest come to the bottom of your ears?

F208Frank

Mar 27, 2020
New York
I have been looking at the stressless options and am surprised I liked the mayfair power versus manual!

gds7368

VIP/Donor
Jan 9, 2015

pjwd

Jun 22, 2015
Brisbane

This is being proposed (nothing ordered yet) by my designer to become the new listening chair.
I've sat in it and it is comfortable. Thoughts?
gds I would want to sit in that chair before I took the plunge .. it does not look like it has good lumbar support and leans back a little too much.. esp if its fixed ... designer chairs often look great but are not that comfy
If you cant trial it get them to propose one you can.
Audiophiles get exercised by the height of the back.. but if neck and head support are narrow soft and curved I dont believe you will get much of a reflection problem
I like the IMG range of chairs but they are a different look
Good luck
Phil

Reactions: gds7368

F208Frank

Mar 27, 2020
New York
gds I would want to sit in that chair before I took the plunge .. it does not look like it has good lumbar support and leans back a little too much.. esp if its fixed ... designer chairs often look great but are not that comfy
Audiophiles get exercised by the height of the back.. but if neck and head support are narrow soft and curved I dont believe you will get much of a reflection problem
Good luck
Phil
How would you compare the img chairs to stressless?

F208Frank

Mar 27, 2020
New York
Good luck
Phil
How would you compare the img chairs to stressless?

Hilroy48

Sep 15, 2021
Regina Sk Canada
I measured from the floor to the center of my tweeters. I made sure that distance matched my ears when sitting in a chair. There was a lot of chairs I passed on till I found the one I have now with correct seat height.

Reactions: F208Frank

F208Frank

Mar 27, 2020
New York
I have a small dilemma. I really enjoy the comforts of the mayfair stressless power chair but the rear headrest not optimal for serious listening makes me consider the low back tokyo, the low back tokyo also has that slight rocking slight bounce to the base as opposed to the stationary mayfair "power base"

Advice appreciated!

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I have a small dilemma. I really enjoy the comforts of the mayfair stressless power chair but the rear headrest not optimal for serious listening makes me consider the low back tokyo, the low back tokyo also has that slight rocking slight bounce to the base as opposed to the stationary mayfair "power base"

Advice appreciated!

I was in exactly the same situation! I have loved Ekornes Stressless chairs for many years and in many locations. I did not want a high backrest. I researched the Stressless with the shortest backrest, and it still came too close to my ears. I think this was the Consul (small) model.

I then began to research the Tokyo, London and Paris (if I remember the names correctly). I declined on them because I did not like the rocking function.

pjwd

Jun 22, 2015
Brisbane
I was in exactly the same situation! I have loved Ekornes Stressless chairs for many years and in many locations. I did not want a high backrest. I researched the Stressless with the shortest backrest, and it still came too close to my ears. I think this was the Consul (small) model.

I then began to research the Tokyo, London and Paris (if I remember the names correctly). I declined on them because I did not like the rocking function.
Ron have you ever A/B tested a high back vs low back in a good acoustic space to determine the advantage of lowback
Just interested
Phil

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Ron have you ever A/B tested a high back vs low back in a good acoustic space to determine the advantage of lowback
Just interested
Phil
No, never tested. I am going by theory here.

But, for me, it is one of those things where it seems so intuitively obvious to me that I would not want reflective leather an inch behind my ears, that even if I could not prove the theory with A/B testing I still would be uncomfortable with it and have difficulty relaxing.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing