Doctor's Orders-Part Two-The New Listening Room Of Steve Williams

We then left Steve's on the long drive to Sam Lucero's that brought us to the border of Mexico. Sam had the Dali Megalines III, which I always wanted to listen to set up properly, due to my love for ribbons. Sam does not have a dedicated or a treated room, and his room is a bit small for the Megalines, which tower at 7 feet. The speakers need to be biamped, so he has 4 Atmasphere monoblocks, 140w each. Multitude of tubes, and a cat that perches itself on the transformer to keep warm and manages to not burn itself on the tubes.

Sam' room also opens into the kitchen on one side. Don't think it makes for ideal acoustics, but does give good off axis listening without having to sit in the sweet spot. Albert Porter ran his with VTL Siegfrieds, so interesting that these were OTLs of 14w each. I don't have enough to compare the amps to. Sam does have BATs as well, and he has a pair of Beveridges, which are vintage stats I would have loved to have heard, but they were not set up.

The Megalines have a huge soundstage and the ribbon tone. They have dynamics, but I would like to cross them over to subs to give a fuller lower mid bass. Sam uses an external Pass crossover, and most of the Dali owners have documented using their own external crossovers, so it is tough to compare systems with different crossover settings. Sam's seemed more accurate, and again as we moved from his Esoteric to his Studer tape, the leap was phenomenal. It played more easily, more involving, and PRAT. I would love to listen to this system with the BATs as well, and to listen to his Beveridges. I am not that familiar with tape so can't comment much on the discussion between Davey and Steve above on tape heads. One thing for sure, Sam is a techie and knows his stuff, you can tell from the details he gets into when you speak to him. We did not have as much time at Sam's as we were delayed on the way there, so we left and stopped over on the way to Phillip O Hanlon, which I will detail in a separate thread here http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showt...G1-loudspeaker&p=385062&viewfull=1#post385062

Last edited:
Hi Ked

Thanks for your thoughts which I agree with in all but the following.....

However with his PD, more powerful amps would be required IMO.

you were so gobsmacked with tape and vinyl that I never had a chance to play you more digital selections as I am confident I could have changed your mind but as you say it isn't the same as Marty's system with the large Spectral amps and twin Gotham subs

Ah, show conditions are notorious for challenging conditions! :eek:

Steve, this was probably some time ago...do you recall when and which shows where you heard the MegaLine?
Again, thank you for your kind remarks. :cool: The moving blankets used to cover the plasma and stone flooring had just arrived the day before your and Ked's visit.

Should you make it down to listen on another occasion, I hope we can enjoy dinner together -- it's always delightful to dine with you and Cathy. :)

Hi Ked

you were so gobsmacked with tape and vinyl that I never had a chance to play you more digital selections as I am confident I could have changed your mind but as you say it isn't the same as Marty's system with the large Spectral amps and twin Gotham subs

True - but I am making that based on my comparison of the same music with Dan Agostino's. I think your system balances out with the weight of the techdas/tape and the dynamics they add. But when I heard the Dans, they were more dynamic than your PD. Just more oomph (not referring here to differences in tone between Lamm and Dan). However when your TT is on you get best of both

Ps - I hope you read the follow up post on TT, because you replied quickly to my first post:)

Hi Ked,

Thank you for your assessment and cordial remarks...it is most thoughtful and considerate. :)
I can offer more details pertaining to system setup on the day of your and Steve's visit; however, I would first consult my notes at home.

Glad you arrived safely following such an astonishing sojourn! :cool:

Hi Ked,

Thank you for your assessment and cordial remarks...it is most thoughtful and considerate. :)
I can offer more details pertaining to system setup on the day of your and Steve's visit; however, I would first consult my notes at home.

Glad you arrived safely following such an astonishing sojourn! :cool:

I think you should because the details of the Pass crossover and tape were lost on me, as well as the Grace design. These are not things I am familiar with, and it would be interesting to share it with the other

Hi Ked

When I had my PD I would often think that either my amps weren't controlling the woofers or that a low frequency room node was being excited. Then I tried other DACs and realized the PD was simply 'slow'.

Wonderful report, bonzo75. I especially liked the cartridge/tonearm comparisons with the comments about the music. Nice style, and at times, funny. This, with the report form Ron R., give a great summary of these two combinations. Sounds like quite a whirlwind trip. If you are ever in the Boston area, please contact Al M., MadFloyd, Ack, or me and we will show you around.

Wonderful report, bonzo75. I especially liked the cartridge/tonearm comparisons with the comments about the music. Nice style, and at times, funny. This, with the report form Ron R., give a great summary of these two combinations. Sounds like quite a whirlwind trip. If you are ever in the Boston area, please contact Al M., MadFloyd, Ack, or me and we will show you around.

Thanks - the way I look at audiophilia lends itself more to writing when I compare, and those carts gave me a lot of fodder for thought. I would be interested in visiting Boston to compare Spectrals and a valve amp at Goodwin's at some point (think he carries Jadis?). I am interested in finding out how I react to the speed and slam of the spectrals vs the valve harmonics in the same system. Unfortunately Spectrals are not distributed in the UK. There is also a guy with Analysis Amphitryon and Dehavilland in Boston that I would like to meet. You and Ian could teach me a few things on analog, and I do like the sound of Ack's system which has speakers and amps I like.

Last edited:
Then I tried other DACs and realized the PD was simply 'slow'.

Ian

I'm very interested as TBH I haven't heard the newer DACs other than Philip's NADAC which I really like.I've only been listening to vinyl since last August. I don't understand your comment above however.

Those are very interesting reports, Bonzo!

With your report there seems to be a growing consensus that on most musical selections the SME/ZYX sounds richer than the Graham/Anna.

How would you compare the Dali Megalines to the Analysis Audio Omegas?

Those are very interesting reports, Bonzo!

With your report there seems to be a growing consensus that on most musical selections the SME/ZYX sounds richer than the Graham/Anna.

How would you compare the Dali Megalines to the Analysis Audio Omegas?

Very different, despite both being ribbons. Dalis have an even bigger soundstage, but need a bigger room than the Omegas, probably like the Amphis. Dalis require biamping with identical amps, so experimenting with different amps will be tougher than with Analysis. Analysis have only one crossover, while Dalis have more. Both can have external crossovers that can lead to a change in sound from set up to set up.

I finally had the opportunity to see Steve's new room. What a treat! First, Steve and his wife are very gracious hosts and made me feel at home from the moment I arrived. One of the great things about this hobby is getting to meet others that share the passion. Last time I visited Steve was at his home in Northern Calif. a lot has changed since then.... Lamm ML3, LL1Signature, Techdas, tape and, of course, the room.

I was very curious to see and hear the new space and latest setup. The room and treatments work well and certainly give the illusion of a much larger space. The music flowed from the system with clarity and when it was called for, punch. I can hear why people comment about the direct to disc "Hot Stix" LP. It was a great example of the scale and dynamics the system is capable of. Felt the the drum kit was in the room! At the other end was Lynn Stanley LP (I believe) with a gorgeous vocal and piano piece. It was a great piece and showed how the systems can be very 'soulful'. It was a great evening.

Thanks again Steve for opening your house and being a great host!

I can echo that. Steve drove me around hundreds of miles those two days, and he would do whatever I asked for without imposing anything. If I wanted to listen, we listened. If I wanted to swap carts, we swapped. When I wanted to eat, we ate. Felt pampered. Brilliant. This trip would not have been possible otherwise. I am used to Chicago and NY where it is easy to jaunt around without requiring to drive, while in LA it is impossible.

Very different, despite both being ribbons. Dalis have an even bigger soundstage, but need a bigger room than the Omegas, probably like the Amphis. Dalis require biamping with identical amps, so experimenting with different amps will be tougher than with Analysis. Analysis have only one crossover, while Dalis have more. Both can have external crossovers that can lead to a change in sound from set up to set up.

The Dali's indeed throw a huge soundstage

Ked, you mentioned earlier that you have been listening to Koetsu's. I am considering changing my cartridge to either a Koetsu Urushi Tsugaru, or...a Lyra of some sort. I know that these two are very different, I have heard Lyra's on several occasions, but I have never heard the Urushi Tsugaru. Any chance you may have heard the Urushi series? The Tsugaru?
Sam, I will have to give you a call, would like to hear the new X-over.
Also, next time you guys are in the San Diego area, you are all welcome to stop by and listen to some vinyl....albeit in a smaller room setting.:D

Ked, you mentioned earlier that you have been listening to Koetsu's. I am considering changing my cartridge to either a Koetsu Urushi Tsugaru, or...a Lyra of some sort. I know that these two are very different, I have heard Lyra's on several occasions, but I have never heard the Urushi Tsugaru. Any chance you may have heard the Urushi series? The Tsugaru?
Sam, I will have to give you a call, would like to hear the new X-over.
Also, next time you guys are in the San Diego area, you are all welcome to stop by and listen to some vinyl....albeit in a smaller room setting.:D

Hi I am no expert on analog, I started investigating recently because I could no longer hold back going down the vinyl route which I think is a road to bankruptcy and madness for an inveterate tweaker and swapper. My exposure to Koetsu has been only with the Blue Lace which I loved, and research from more learned opinions shows that blue lace or coral stone are the way to go. Below those, some think that Koetsus do have a weakness of being good only in the mids and a bit a soft. So I can't comment on your particular model. Those who like the blue lace and coral stone prefer it on heavier arms,

Hi I am no expert on analog, I started investigating recently because I could no longer hold back going down the vinyl route which I think is a road to bankruptcy and madness for an inveterate tweaker and swapper. My exposure to Koetsu has been only with the Blue Lace which I loved, and research from more learned opinions shows that blue lace or coral stone are the way to go. Below those, some think that Koetsus do have a weakness of being good only in the mids and a bit a soft. So I can't comment on your particular model. Those who like the blue lace and coral stone prefer it on heavier arms,

Thanks, Ked. That is what I suspected. The non-platinum magnet Koetsu's have a reputation for great mids and soft highs. This is something that would discount them for me. OTOH, I am not sure that all of the Urushi models elicit this problem. The Platinum magnet versions are a non-starter for me; they have too little output for my phono stage. Listening to cartridges is so very difficult in our hobby, too bad as it is an important aspect and yet the logistics are always the issue.

I think you should because the details of the Pass crossover and tape were lost on me, as well as the Grace design. These are not things I am familiar with, and it would be interesting to share it with the other

Hi Ked,

In a prior post, you had mentioned crossing the MegaLine III over to subs to achieve a fuller lower mid bass. The Dali's FR is 35 Hz - 22 kHz, +/- 3 dB. They roll off very quickly. If you haven't heard it, try listening to some "Bombay Dub Orchestra". There's some very low frequency notes in their work...I'll try to get the title of one of their albums in particular, soon. The crossover frequency of the MegaLine III is 1.2 kHz implemented with Dali's AC-U (Active Crossover Unit). The day you and Steve visited, the XVR-1 was set at crossover frequency of 1.33 kHz. The low pass filter was set at 18 dB/octave and the high pass filter was also set at 18 dB/octave. "Q" was set to medium. The previous night, a friend set the low pass filter to 12 dB/octave...all else remained as it was upon your visit. It was a different sound. I suspect the more gentle slope would have filled-in, at least somewhat, the upper bass/lower mids.

A Grace Design m905 monitor controller performs the preamp function in the system. It also sports an impressive DAC. Grace Design is generally characterized as being in the "clean" camp in the pro universe as opposed to the "mojo" camp,
http://www.gracedesign.com/products/m905/m905.htm :cool:

Dalis require biamping with identical amps, so experimenting with different amps will be tougher than with Analysis. Analysis have only one crossover, while Dalis have more. Both can have external crossovers that can lead to a change in sound from set up to set up.

DALI literature recommends using four channels of identical amplification; however, amps of various topology may be applied. Elliot Midwood/Acoustic Image had his MegaLine III's with Wavestream Kinetics V8(?) tube amps driving the ribbons and Forsell, The Statement, solid state amp running the mid/woofer elements. Fine Sound. :cool:

With respect to the supplied DALI MegaLine AC-U, it is a single-ended, active, external stereo crossover. IIRC, there may be one adjustable gain setting inside the AC-U.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing