Doctor's Orders-Part Two-The New Listening Room Of Steve Williams

Congrats, Steve. I've never heard the Anna but love my Zyx UniP.

Btw, what's that 'platter top'? Is that part of the TechDas?

Congrats, Steve. I've never heard the Anna but love my Zyx UniP.

Btw, what's that 'platter top'? Is that part of the TechDas?

You want to keep dust out of the vacuum hold down

That is great news, Steve! Congratulations!

I am happy for you that you found your ideal alternative to the Graham/Anna combination. It must be fascinating to compare the two different tonearm/cartridge combinations.

I look forward to reading more listening impressions from you about the differences between the two tonearm/cartridge combinations, until I can compare them with you in person!

I have enjoyed all of those conversations!

Last edited:
Wow, I can't believe I have been out of the loop so long I missed the earth shattering news that you finally got a turntable. I really never really believed it would happen. My congratulations as well.

A 12 inch arm with a low compliance cartridge (and maybe a top notch idler drive TT) give about the closest approximation in vinyl of a reel to reel experience.

I was in SoCal in July doing a SUP paddle boarding and camping trip around Santa Cruz Island off Ventura, but I was so beat up and grimey after the trip, I just headed back north to get home and rest rather than visit.

https://youtu.be/u18YNi-v6as

I guess I will HAVE to visit at some point, now. I have been going over WBF to catch up a bit and have also reviewed the very fun tres amigos thread from last April.

Congratulations, Steve. Boy, you are really enjoying this analog journey. I'd be curious to know what you think of your digital compared to your new analog. You should listen and tell us what you think.

Threads like this one are so refreshing in tone compared to some of the recent ones. Love your photos and choices. Please report more once you have let things settle.

Steve,
Congratulations on the new arm. I visited Lamm's room at CES and saw and heard David's SME 3012. I was impressed with the fit and finish of the vintage arm, excellent choice.

Looks great Steve. At some point after comparing 2 different carts on two different arms, you may find yourself yearning for a mono cart on the rear arm if you start building a significant mono record collection that you want to listen too. That's what I did. At least with the Graham, you can get another arm wand to mount the other stereo cart.

Looks great Steve. At some point after comparing 2 different carts on two different arms, you may find yourself yearning for a mono cart on the rear arm if you start building a significant mono record collection that you want to listen too. That's what I did. At least with the Graham, you can get another arm wand to mount the other stereo cart.

It's just a headshell swap and a bit of fiddling away hehehehe

I never heard these two arms. Maybe at a. Show or a dealer. I did not know you could hear pivot noise until I owned the smell 4. At you level I am sure it is dead quiet.

Looks great Steve, what's your thoughts on the SME 12" arm, I've always fancied one of these myself

Steve, did you consider the SME V-12 along with the vintage SME? I would be curious to know if David has compared it to his arms on one of his tables.

Hi Peter

I am no expert in tone arms and made my choice merely by hearing the SE3012R play on a multitude of turntables at David's house when I visited last summer. I haven't compared it to the SMEV-12. I was lucky to find an NOS arm and cable in a sealed SME box.

Hi Peter

I am no expert in tone arms and made my choice merely by hearing the SE3012R play on a multitude of turntables at David's house when I visited last summer. I haven't compared it to the SMEV-12. I was lucky to find an NOS arm and cable in a sealed SME box.

are those Ortofon SPU carts just plug and play (save for VTA, VTF adjustment) on your SME ? Where did you get that arm NOS ?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing