Do Mobile Fidelity Vinyl Re-issues Have a Digital Step in the Process?

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
I am just referring to the fact that when specifically questioned about the digital rumors people from the company denied them.

I see. To me, companies are advertising their products and trying to get the consumer to conclude about what they are buying. This obviously is not limited to the audio industry. For records, they want you to believe they are all analog and use words to help you get there without actually saying it. Impex realized that’s what they did with this release.

Audire

VIP/Donor
Jan 18, 2019
FL Panhandle
Please show me where on MoFi’s older descriptions where they said their records were “pure analogue.”

Look at the MoFi images that they had on their site and their new ones. Compare this one below with their new image they have online which states one steps come from DSD256. Unfortunately that’s not right either as some of them are DSD64. See Ron’s explanation of this image on #84.

F581CC36-0591-4C68-8873-78D12024A9F3.jpeg

There’s also statements such as,:”MFSL engineers begin with the original master tapes and meticulously cut a set of lacquers.

5621F25D-D254-4560-A03B-CB2F7098814E.png

Then there's:

54C08349-B32F-4943-92E4-24DA7843FC6B.jpeg

And then there are the individual emails they sent out.

Last edited:

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
Look at the MoFi images that had on their site and their new ones. Compare this one below with their new image they have online which states one steps come from DSD256. Unfortunately that’s not right either as some of them are DSD64. See Ron’s explanation of this image on #84.

View attachment 96801

There’s also statements such as,:”MFSL engineers begin with the original master tapes and meticulously cut a set of lacquers.

View attachment 96802

Then there's:

View attachment 96804

And then there are the individual emails they sent out.

I am not trying to let them off the hook. They deceived the public.

Having said that, none of their issues say “AAA”. Again, I don’t think that is the point and I agree with you that they tried to paint a picture that said “all analog.” By me asking the question of that you quoted I was saying that Impex’s description was the same as MoFi’s picture. Both wanted you to conclude “ANALOG.”

We are in agreement with the big picture of deception.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA

dminches

Oct 22, 2011

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney

Audire

VIP/Donor
Jan 18, 2019
FL Panhandle

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I see. To me, companies are advertising their products and trying to get the consumer to conclude about what they are buying. This obviously is not limited to the audio industry. For records, they want you to believe they are all analog and use words to help you get there without actually saying it. Impex realized that’s what they did with this release.

It is the usual marketing system in the high-end. See for example class A. Most of the time they tell consumers they are 100W at class A, although they know that most speakers have dips around 2 ohm!

The real problem is that since it is cleary proved now that no one can reliability detect such "digital steps" by listening in a reliable way we are still just speculating and slowly learning. But anyone following professional forums and activities knows that the best professionals in current industry considers the higher bit rates sonically transparent.

Digital recordings formats are another example of lack of transparency. Bit rate of the file does not tell the whole story!

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
Last edited:

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Yes. Just make sure you get the "real" KG mastered 50th anniversary release (...)

Well, reading both your appraisal and this one just proves gain that in this hobby one man's meat is another man's poison.

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
Well, reading both your appraisal and this one just proves gain that in this hobby one man's meat is another man's poison.

U like the Modfi better?

All 3 in the room preferred KG, not just me.

davidavdavid

Jun 30, 2014
Columbus, Ohio, USA
david.com
Sign/Sigh of the Times:
msflforsale.pg.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: XV-1

davidavdavid

Jun 30, 2014
Columbus, Ohio, USA
david.com
One Month in and so much happened, from the first video to the present:

The MoFi (Mobile Fidelity)[Music Direct] Carole King Tapestry One-Step which is presently sold out on the website is $125.00. I have been monitoring the secondary market on numerous titles and have found there to be a glut of this particular one on eBay, Discogs and Facebook Marketplace.

Today I was on eBay checking out the available prices for NEW, SEALED units and I came across this post for $89.99 + shipping. I was genuinely surprised but not stunned to see a One-Step selling this far below as a Buy-It-Now (no auction) at this price. Honestly now, I was prepared for sub-100 dollar offerings but sub-90 dollars. And to think that today, August 14th, has been exactly one month since the first YouTube video alleging digital steps be taken by MoFi/Mobile Fidelity Sound Labs/Music Direct.

Look closely at the second graphic. At the time I captured it sixteen watchers, all of them with equal opportunity to pull the trigger and snap it up, had not so done. 1660479895090.png

1660479869738.png

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Thank you, David, for monitoring the market for Mobile Fidelity UD1S LPs. The price decline is interesting, and suggests that, regardless of sound quality, consumers don’t like being misled.

It will be interesting to see if the price decline you are observing factors into the Plaintiffs’ argument regarding the calculation of damages.

On the three UD1S titles (all sealed in boxes) I have posted on eBay, I have not received any interest above the original purchase price of $125.

Last edited:
Reactions: Audiophile Bill

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Thank you, David, for monitoring the market for Mobile Fidelity UD1S LPs. The price decline is interesting, and suggests that, regardless of sound quality, consumers don’t like being misled.

It will be interesting to see if the price decline you are observing factors into the Plaintiffs’ argument regarding the calculation of damages.

Ron, Were you able to sell your MoFi records?

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
One Month in and so much happened, from the first video to the present:

The MoFi (Mobile Fidelity)[Music Direct] Carole King Tapestry One-Step which is presently sold out on the website is $125.00. I have been monitoring the secondary market on numerous titles and have found there to be a glut of this particular one on eBay, Discogs and Facebook Marketplace.

Today I was on eBay checking out the available prices for NEW, SEALED units and I came across this post for $89.99 + shipping. I was genuinely surprised but not stunned to see a One-Step selling this far below as a Buy-It-Now (no auction) at this price. Honestly now, I was prepared for sub-100 dollar offerings but sub-90 dollars. And to think that today, August 14th, has been exactly one month since the first YouTube video alleging digital steps be taken by MoFi/Mobile Fidelity Sound Labs/Music Direct.

Look closely at the second graphic. At the time I captured it sixteen watchers, all of them with equal opportunity to pull the trigger and snap it up, had not so done.

The prices on Discogs for US sales have dipped some, but not a ton. This was not the best received reissue to begin with. I am interested how the prices of the other, more sought-after titles do.

On a side note, and just my opinion, I have no sympathy for people who bought extra copies to sell, especially those who are music fans. I am never been comfortable doing that and making my fellow music fan pay more for something. /soapbox.

MoFi's business will be hurt for a while. Eventually the marketplace will get over it since they are not alone in deceitful advertising. I do hope this debacle brings about change so we are clear in what we are buying.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Ron, Were you able to sell your MoFi records?

Nope. On the three UD1S titles (all sealed in boxes) I have posted on eBay, I have not received any interest above the original purchase price of $125.

As I would like to think that my taste in music is not as defective as is my taste in equity securities, I would prefer not to sell these six LPs at a loss. I canceled my Thriller pre-order.

Fortunately when I purchased my LPs in the 1980s and 1990s and the 2000s I found the early Mobile Fidelity AAA releases to be on the bright-sounding side, so I always kind of shied away from Mobile Fidelity products. I now understand that Mobile Fidelity remediated that early brightness issue over the years, but I didn’t know that along the way.

When Mobile Fidelity released their UD1Ss of some of my favorite titles I bought two copies of each of three of my very favorite titles for the heck of it, as I almost always do when a company releases a product of one of my very favorite titles. My early bias against the sound of Mobile Fidelity reissues, except for these six LPs, has kept me away from buying Mobile Fidelity products up to the present day.

When I open my boxes of LPs, hopefully sometime in the next few months, I expect to find a lot of DCC Compact Classics (which I thought generally are the best sounding albums of my favorite rock and pop titles), Classic Records, Chesky and Sheffield Lab.

Last edited:

adrianywu

Nov 15, 2021
DSD is numerous steps backwards from the real thing. That’s one reason why MoFi went to extremes to try to convenience everyone that their one steps were AAA vinyl. If as you state it was better, then why did they feel the need to fake it? They faked it acknowledging which format they knew was superior!
Not better than AAA vinyl, but the DSD file should at least be better than the One Step LPs that were derived from it.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing