Do Mobile Fidelity Vinyl Re-issues Have a Digital Step in the Process?

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
So customers thought they were being sold AAA Vinyl and you want to offer them a DSD file? That just adds insult to injury! They already have DSD in the record that was deceptively sold to them. :rolleyes:

Probably you would feel insulted. However considering what we can read in hundreds of posts in other forums, IMHO most people would feel differently. Although I would prefer to get an AAA LP I know it is not possible, so I would be very happy to get the DSD256 files for each of of my MoFi digital LPs!

Reactions: HughP3

Ian B

Oct 19, 2020
I'm getting concerned that an overzealous legal takedown of MoFi is going to ruin what is left of the quality SACD marketplace.

Reactions: asiufy

HughP3

VIP/Donor
Apr 25, 2019
Probably you would feel insulted. However considering what we can read in hundreds of posts in other forums, IMHO most people would feel differently. Although I would prefer to get an AAA LP I know it is not possible, so I would be very happy to get the DSD256 files for each of of my MoFi digital LPs!
Me too, i would love to buy the DSD256 since i dont have analog

Reactions: asiufy and Ian B

Audire

VIP/Donor
Jan 18, 2019
FL Panhandle

Respectfully, MoFi hasn’t even offered that, have they? What they could do is return everyone’s money, as I suggested in this thread long ago. However, MoFi hasn’t offered that either? What they desire you to do is to accept that you ripped off and forget about it!

Reactions: Audiophile Bill

Audire

VIP/Donor
Jan 18, 2019
FL Panhandle
Me too, i would love to buy the DSD256 since i dont have analog

You are far too trusting. How do you know they are quality SACDs? If MoFi deceived so many regarding AAA vinyl how do we know they are really doing what they claim to do on their SACDs?

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
Are all the other record companies that aren’t transparent and are deceitful in their marketing going to be sued too?

Audire

VIP/Donor
Jan 18, 2019
FL Panhandle
Are all the other record companies that aren’t transparent and are deceitful in their marketing going to be sued too?

Ask the labels - not us.

Let’s not speculate. Are any other labels misrepresenting what they sell? If so, please post some links to their deceptive advertising.

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
Ask the labels - not us.

Let’s not speculate. Are any other labels misrepresenting what they sell? If so, please post some links to their deceptive advertising.

there are tons. Anyone who states that the mastering is done from the original tapes and doesn’t also say it is AAA is being deceptive. This issue is not limited to MoFi by any means.

Reactions: sujay and jespera

Audire

VIP/Donor
Jan 18, 2019
FL Panhandle
there are tons. Anyone who states that the mastering is done from the original tapes and doesn’t also say it is AAA is being deceptive. This issue is not limited to MoFi by any means.

Can you be more specific by listing three examples?

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
If we want extreme transparency everyone selling vinyl sourced from digital should warn consumers that they are getting an inferior product and that a digital master is much closer to the original recording ... :oops:

• Haha
Reactions: HughP3 and Audire

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
Reactions: sujay

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
6 years ago when Blue Note did their 75 anniversary series they said nothing at the time about the LPs being digitally sourced. It eventually came out but by then thousands of LPs had been purchased.

Reactions: jespera

Audire

VIP/Donor
Jan 18, 2019
FL Panhandle

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
“If” this is a digital remastered LP and they aren’t declaring it then they deserve the same as MoFi.

Any label that is using deceit to market their vinyl deserves the same!

That is my point. When Craft issues an AAA LP they are very explicit about it. This, it is my bet that this is ADA.

Many of the labels are doing the same thing. Sony almost never says how the LP has been cut.

Audire

VIP/Donor
Jan 18, 2019
FL Panhandle
If we want extreme transparency everyone selling vinyl sourced from digital should warn consumers that they are getting an inferior product and that a digital master is much closer to the original recording ... :oops:

I feel so very sorry for you. One day I hope you finally hear a good vinyl setup with some good records produced from the original master tapes. Until such a time though I’m sure we will continue to hear about your tales from the dark side.

Audire

VIP/Donor
Jan 18, 2019
FL Panhandle
That is my point. When Craft issues an AAA LP they are very explicit about it. This, it is my bet that this is ADA.

Many of the labels are doing the same thing. Sony almost never says how the LP has been cut.
Best bet isn’t evidence.

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
  • Haha
Reactions: jespera and Audire

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I feel so very sorry for you. One day I hope you finally hear a good vinyl setup with some good records produced from the original master tapes. Until such a time though I’m sure we will continue to hear about your tales from the dark side.

What is the point of changing the subject with a condescending and poor minded comment? I was just addressing digital sourced recordings in my post. FIY I own a Studer A80 and copies of master tapes, as well as many excellent fully analog sourced LPs. I know pretty well how good top analog can sound.

Audire

VIP/Donor
Jan 18, 2019
FL Panhandle
If you want to think that MoFi is alone in this be my guest. You would be wrong.

I never said MoFi is alone in this! You are making stuff up! I just asked you to offer supporting evidence that others are doing it as well. Without proof you are merely speculating.

As I already stated in #613 above, “Any label that is using deceit to market their vinyl deserves the same!”

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
If you want to think that MoFi is alone in this be my guest. You would be wrong.

No, they are not alone. But until someone has the complete certitude and exposes it - surely no one wants to spread rumors - the high-end will go on relying on the golden ears that will play the victimization role again.

Even Michael Fremer has expressed doubts about the origins of some top expensive LP recordings in AnalogPlanet more than once.

Just look at the photos of the tape machines owned by several cutting facilities accepting analog tape masters - they do not have the look ahead loop system, relying on a digital delay line and computer system to space the grooves.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing